Why FDR Was the Best President We Ever Had

As organizing got going and people started working again under the NRA and CCC the unemployment numbers dropped. Then rose again following the war becasue the indutail military plants were no loner necessary. The employment rose again to the national environment that I;ve been talking about and people were able to go to college and buy homes all over the country.

For three years Ronald Reagan brought us to 10% unemployment. You are conveniently leaving that out.

Home ownership today is at a higher percentage than it was in 1960. So what is your basis for saying people were able to buy homes all over the country then while implying that people can't today?

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and you're trying to compare apples to oranges.

Please read some books - please.

Then you deny that America was the most capitalist nation on earth who's buildings were all still standing after the world wars, right moron??????

There's "books" then there's "books" Idiot!!!!! I suggest you try something besides communist propaganda books like Hillary's "It Takes A Village" crap.

jet, let's go back to what you wrote here.

Here is your post I responded to:

"""So, (cough), from the 30s to 1980 this country didn't have the highest standard of living in the world, with the best sustainable home market and highest qulaity education coupled with very low unemployment?

We were - what? Picking potatos in Russia?"""

You said we had low unemployment in the '30's. I believe it was 1937 that unemployment hit 14%, the lowest rate of the decade. How do you consider that a low number?

You then said we had low unemployment up to 1980. I showed that the rate in 1975 was higher than the rate between sometime in '84 all the way through 2008. That is a fact. I didn't conveniently leave anything out. The unemployment numbers in '81-'83 were higher than 1975 which is why I didn't reference them.

Your statement that from 1980 going forward unemployment rates weren't what they were like in the preceding decades is wrong.

The sentence is not very clear on that; I apologize for that. As employment got going again, it hit its stride with the UAW and all other labor contributions just before, during and after the war. It was through this new machine that the country rose up.

Neo-Commies always accuse true patriots/constitutionalist/true republicans/true conservatives/true classical liberals/libertarians of being Nazis because they, (neo-commies), are opposed to constitutional government the Constitution, liberty and true capitalism. neo-commie Democrats are fucking BIG government Central Planners and authoritarian scumbags.

Again, you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. You're really just embarrassing yourself.

I take it you didn't watch the video. I take it that you aren't clear on American history . . . The US financial markets had run amuck; just llike in 2007. FDR put together a plan for those Americans who wanted to work and built a support structure to help Americans take personal responsibility for their livelyhoods and pick themselves up from poverty: which they did.

That's why.

The following is just for you moron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“'We're Spending More Than Ever and It Doesn't Work'
We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises. I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. … And an enormous debt to boot!” (Henry Morgenthau Jr. — close friend, lunch companion, loyal secretary of the Treasury to President Franklin D. Roosevelt — and key architect of FDR’s New Deal.)
The date: May 9, 1939. The setting: Morgenthau’s appearance in Washington before less influential Democrats on the House Ways and Means Committee.

Look it up Idiot!!!!! "Read a fucking book!!!!!"

Home ownership today is at a higher percentage than it was in 1960. So what is your basis for saying people were able to buy homes all over the country then while implying that people can't today?

Thre were a lot more farms in the 60s and a lot less homes.

Thre were a lot more farms in the 60s and a lot less homes.

True, we have built more homes since the '60's. That's why the numbers I quoted were a percentage. What is the argument you are trying to make? That it's harder to buy a home today than in 1960?

Again, you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. You're really just embarrassing yourself.

But of course you totally fail to explain with any rationality or substance what exactly it is you accuse me of "having no idea about." That's because you're simply the neo-commie leftist flip-side of the other RINO clueless moron Truth Detector. Just like that moron, you're at a loss for words when you're stupidity is revealed by intelligent folks like me. Thus, your only argument is another stupid pathetic, weak and humorous fucking insult.

I, for one, didn't attack Lincoln. Christie actually threw the Habeus Corpus line at me because of how anti-south I have been, so she must hate America. Now, as for the Union, I don't really think that America's greatness is entirely dependent upon unity. Our greatness is foremost a product of our national ideals enshrined in our culture and constitution. If the south were to secede tomorrow, I would not be all that alarmed. Sure, it would hurt in the short-term, but you know they would screw up their short-lived autonomy, and unity would be assured down the road.

Wrong, I'm not anti-south and don't hate America despite the fact that's a RW meme about liberals. Why are you anti-South anyway? That translates to you hating your fellow Americans, not me. In any case you guys don't get to pick and choose which prez made the worst decisions without getting rebuttal from those who don't think the same.

I am sorry, but you are wrong, his spending is exactly what got us out of the depression.

There are all kinds of opinions and measures about who is/was the best president. My opinion is that some have been the best presidents for their times without being the best president ever. FDR was what the country needed at that time. He won four elections with these majorities: 57.4%, 60.8%, 54.7% and 53.6%. Obviously the voters liked him since he was the only one elected to more than two terms.

Last edited:
Who are you referring to?

FDR didn't get us out of the depression until our entry in WWII.

Obama still hasn't seen an economic recovery for the middle and lower income families... his policies have benefited the 1%.

^ Then why aren't you happier with him since you love the 1%?

True, we have built more homes since the '60's. That's why the numbers I quoted were a percentage. What is the argument you are trying to make? That it's harder to buy a home today than in 1960?

the financial distance for people from what they eamr vs what the need for a home hasn't changed much. The housing bubble notwithstanding. The point as far as it relates to the OP is that what FDR is talking about is the ability shrink that gap.

the financial distance for people from what they eamr vs what the need for a home hasn't changed much. The housing bubble notwithstanding. The point as far as it relates to the OP is that what FDR is talking about is the ability shrink that gap.

In his talk he said 'the right of every family to a decent home'. Ok. So does that mean everyone should own a home? Or just have a place to live? And I'm still understanding your comparison of 1960 (or around that time period) and the percentage of homeowners and farms with the percentage of homeowners today.

In his talk he said 'the right of every family to a decent home'. Ok. So does that mean everyone should own a home? Or just have a place to live? And I'm still understanding your comparison of 1960 (or around that time period) and the percentage of homeowners and farms with the percentage of homeowners today.

A decent home means just that; not necessarily owning one. Some just didn't and still don't want to. He was referring to both banks and slum lords.

Buying a home in the 70s for instance was very easy in California anyway: you didn't need the huge down; you just bought out the equity and assumed the loan. I'm sure it was equally as easy or more so before then. That's all changed however.

A decent home means just that; not necessarily owning one. Some just didn't and still don't want to. He was referring to both banks and slum lords.

Buying a home in the 70s for instance was very easy in California anyway: you didn't need the huge down; you just bought out the equity and assumed the loan. I'm sure it was equally as easy or more so before then. That's all changed however.

People were buying homes in California during the mid '2000's with almost no money down. Literally almost anyone with a job could buy a home. But back to the numbers. The percentage of homeowners in the U.S. is higher today than it was in 1960. How do more people own homes today if it is supposedly harder to buy a home?

There are those that suggest that WW I and WW II were in part the reason that the US did so well after each.

WWI
For the short term effect the US economy grew in the buildup to the war and during its prosecution. From 1915 the US made tons of loans to the UK to help them in their war effort. It is not a stretch to say that WWI was the major factor in contributing to the "Roaring 20s" when the US economy boomed. After the peace the economy dropped temporarily and this is most likely attributable to the stopping of war material production. However, at that point in the timeline the US was the only country that had not been completely devastated by the effects of the war. US companies were able to expand their reach around the world, and domestic consumption in the US increased, hence the name "The Roaring 20s." So the short term effect (I am defining short term effect as within one decade) was that the US economy grew a large amount due to their involvement in WWI.

The long term effect was that US involvement in the war lead directly to the Great Depression and WWII. The Treaty of Versailles led to a system where the US was cashing in its wartime loans to the UK, which in turn was using the wartime reparations it received from Germany to pay off the US. This system collapsed when the Germany economy succumbed to hyperinflation and died. That paired with Black Tuesday, which was driven by rampant stock speculation from tons of US citizens flush with cash led to the Great Depression. Since the world was still reeling from the effects of WWI when Germany fell, everything else fell apart. This event was directly attributable to WWI.

So in short there was a huge effect on the US economy in the short term which lead to the Roaring 20s, but the growth was short lived as it was built upon the same conditions that brought about the Great Depression.

WWII
President Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal was already having a positive effect on some of the worst aspects of The Great Depression, but it was America's entrance into World War II that made the Depression officially end. The answer as to how is twofold.

First, the European nations that went to war needed goods (Jeeps, tanks, airplanes, parachutes, ammunition, medical equipment, etc.) to supply their militaries. American factories and manufacturing kicked into high gear to supply these products and more to our allies, like Britain. This proved to be a great boost to the United States economy and created millions of new jobs, thus growing the gross domestic product and providing the federal government with more tax revenue. The companies that manufactured wartime goods also created millions of new jobs, thus easing the unemployment problem.

But second, when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor and the United States suddenly found itself fighting in the war, over ten million Americans went into the military (in either active combat or support roles). Obviously, many of these people left jobs to do so, and this put an almost immediate end to the unemployment crisis caused by The Great Depression because businesses of all sizes suddenly had job openings galore, and a huge demand to fill them.

There are plenty more supporting documentation.

So, (cough), from the 30s to 1980 this country didn't have the highest standard of living in the world, with the best sustainable home market and highest qulaity education coupled with very low unemployment?

We were - what? Picking potatos in Russia?

Fuck FDR. If you think all of that was because of him you deserve what you get.

Wrong, I'm not anti-south and don't hate America despite the fact that's a RW meme about liberals. Why are you anti-South anyway? That translates to you hating your fellow Americans, not me. In any case you guys don't get to pick and choose which prez made the worst decisions without getting rebuttal from those who don't think the same.

Try reading, next time, Christie.

1) I didn't accuse you of hating the south. Apparently you're not cool enough for that.
2) Desh accused people attacking Lincoln of hating America. You attacked Lincoln, ergo you hate America. Sorry, but I don't make the rules - Desh does.

Finally, they're not real Americans, so it's easy enough for me to hate on them and still not be hating my fellow Americans, as you accuse me of doing.

People were buying homes in California during the mid '2000's with almost no money down. Literally almost anyone with a job could buy a home. But back to the numbers. The percentage of homeowners in the U.S. is higher today than it was in 1960. How do more people own homes today if it is supposedly harder to buy a home?

Those were liar loans that ruined the people that bought them and this country. So no soap. There are more people today and many more hom builders nad brokers etc in competition with each other.

Back