Why Should Anyone Believe in Global Warming?

You didn't do well on the inference questions of the SAT. Ask me how I know.

lel-teeth.gif

You didn't identify the CO2 absorption. Which means you didn't understand that it was an ABSORPTION OF ENERGY. Which means you don't understand the core concept of AGW. You don't even know how CO2 absorbs IR. You couldn't even identify it when it was in front of you.

You really need to take some remedial chemistry classes.

Okay. So CO2 absorbs infrared light. Now what?

Too small to retain much of an atmosphere.

Answer the question I just posed. CO2 absorbs infrared light. Now what?

Now we're back to close to where we started in early October, which is that the CO2 molecules in the atmosphere absorb the infrared light leaving the earth and some part of what is absorbed is radiated back toward earth. That is the fundamental basis for climate change.

You have already learned that Earth's atmosphere is composed primarily of nitrogen and oxygen. These gases are transparent to incoming solar radiation. They are also transparent to outgoing infrared radiation, which means that they do not absorb or emit solar or infrared radiation. However, there are other gases in Earth's atmosphere that do absorb infrared radiation. These gases are known as greenhouse gases. Below are the most important greenhouse gases that influence Earth's climate system.

Water vapor (H2O)

Water vapor (H2O) is the strongest greenhouse gas, and the concentration of this gas is largely controlled by the temperature of the atmosphere. As air becomes warmer, it can hold more moisture or water vapor. When the air becomes saturated (or holds as much moisture as the air can at that temperature), the excess moisture will condense into cloud droplets. And if these droplets are large enough, they will fall as precipitation.

Carbon dioxide (CO2)

Carbon dioxide (CO2) is also an important greenhouse gas. It has a long lifetime in Earth's atmosphere. Carbon dioxide strongly absorbs energy with a wavelength of 15 μm (micrometers). This makes carbon dioxide a good absorber of wavelengths falling in the infrared radiation region of the spectrum.

Carbon dioxide constantly moves into and out of the atmosphere through four major processes: photosynthesis, respiration, organic decomposition or decay, and combustion or the burning of organic material. You will learn more about carbon dioxide and the carbon cycle in Module 4.

Methane (CH4)

Methane (CH4) is 30 times stronger than carbon dioxide as an absorber of infrared radiation. Methane, however, is present in smaller concentrations than carbon dioxide, so its net contribution to the greenhouse effect is not as large. Methane is also relatively short-lived (lasting approximately 8 years) in the atmosphere. Methane is produced when bacteria decompose organic plant and animal matter in such places as wetlands (e.g., marshes, mudflats, flooded rice fields), sewage treatment plants, landfills, and the guts of cattle and termites. Scientists are concerned about the concentration of methane increasing in regions where the Arctic and alpine permafrost is thawing and releasing methane as it warms.

Halocarbons are composed of carbon, chlorine, fluorine, and hydrogen. They include chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which are man-made gases commonly used in refrigerators and air conditioners. Concentrations of CFC gases in the atmosphere are the highest of any of the halocarbons, and they can absorb more infrared radiation than any other greenhouse gas. The impact of 1 molecule of a CFC gas is equivalent to 10,000 molecules of carbon dioxide.

Nitrous oxide (N2O)

Nitrous oxide (N2O), a relatively long-lived gas, has increased in atmospheric concentration due mainly to agriculture. Nitrate (NO3-) and ammonia (NH4+) are used as fertilizers. Bacteria convert a small amount of this nitrate and ammonia into the form of nitrous oxide. Internal combustion engines also produce nitrous oxide.

Ozone (O3)

Ozone (O3) is also a relatively minor greenhouse gas because it is found in relatively low concentrations in the troposphere (the lowest layer of the atmosphere). In the troposphere, it is produced by a combination of pollutants — mostly hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxide compounds.

https://www.ces.fau.edu/nasa/module-2/how-greenhouse-effect-works.php

Using your logic,
Ummmm no. You're not using my logic at all. You're EVADING it. Instead, you're using your own bastardized misrepresentation of my logic because that's much easier for you to attack than my actual logic as I have presented it to you.

a 401k (climate) doesn't exist because you can't measure a 401k (climate). Sure, you can measure the performance of the investments (temperature, precipitation, etc) in your 401k, but since you can't measure 401k, there's no reason to believe it's changing..
This is where you fail, so your whole example is irrelevant.

I said that climate is a subjective characterization. IOW, I said that climate EXISTS. I also said that climate is not measurable. You are currently in paradox regarding that topic, as you've already gone back and forth between claiming "climate is measurable" and "climate is not measurable".

I've asked you to provide me with AT LEAST ONE unit of measure that is used to measure climate (you know, the "measurable climate" that you made reference to) and you've been unable to do so thus far.

That is where we currently sit re: this side discussion.

uh, no. Nice try.
Ahhhh, yup. How did I know that your response would be to deny your own argument? You already said that "the atmosphere" (Earth's atmosphere) is not a physical part of Earth. If "the atmosphere" (Earth's atmosphere) is not physical, then what is it? Spiritual?

You've also already said that "the atmosphere" (Earth's atmosphere) starts at Earth's surface and goes up from there. Ergo, if I jump, then I have "left Earth" (the physical) and have entered "the atmosphere" (the spiritual?)... According to you, I can "leave Earth" simply by jumping into the air or climbing up a tree or onto the roof of my house.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

TOO FUNNY!!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

No egregious error. There are multiple levels to the atmosphere. Not all levels have the same characteristics.
YES egregious error.

Earth is not a thermal energy source.

A living human IS a thermal energy source.

Comparing them as if they were the same is a false equivalence. Ever heard of the saying "comparing apples to oranges"?? That's what you're doing here. An apple is not an orange. A thermal energy source (living human) is not a non-thermal energy source (Earth).

The temperature swing, minimum to maximum, on the PARTS of the moon where they happen, are considerably more broad (more than double) than on the Earth. Why is that?
Question already answered countless times in past pages of this thread.

Perfect. I never said it was. I also never said the atmosphere was a blanket.
Yes you did. Stop lying.

Stop being obtuse.
If only I had a nickel for every time some bent over furniture leftist has said these words...

Back