Aerosmith are a truly shitty band, that's the truth

LOL

You know less about music than you do about climate.

Aerosmith are one of the most influential bands in the history of rock. They made albums and songs in the '70s that are all-time classics. They devolved into doing pop - and were less important at that point. But there is no denying their influence, talent and just how great they were.

I never liked Queen,Tom Predergast of Thailand.

But that's just my opinion. I am not going to pull the they are totally shitty card.

The Who's last good album was 1972.

Half the bands you mentioned aren't rock and roll.

Ry Cooder and Boz Skaggs? GTFOH

That's pretty doxxy, brah.

At this point, they are a nostalgic band, but can still draw numbers. Worked stage security decades ago for one of their shows, not a fun job, but they were even by then experienced performers and put on a crowd pleasing show

They began as a Rolling Stone copy, rose above it, succumbed to the lifestyle, and cleaned up enough to make a come back with the advent of MTV. Not qualified enough to say musically how good or bad they were/are, but they were never nor are today corporate rock, which in itself is still refreshing

The only Aerosmith song I ever liked.

Steven Tyler is nothing more than a poor man's Mick Jagger.

"Poor man's Jagger"! Nice, you're right! I never put the two together.

"Train kept a rollin'" is a good one, but I think that might be cover.

I never liked Queen,Tom Predergast of Thailand.

But that's just my opinion. I am not going to pull the they are totally shitty card.

The Who's last good album was 1972.

Half the bands you mentioned aren't rock and roll.

Ry Cooder and Boz Skaggs? GTFOH

Why do they have to be rock and roll? So what about Quadrophenia and Who are You to name but two? Oh and by the way, you can't even get my surname right ffs!!

Last edited:
"Poor man's Jagger"! Nice, you're right! I never put the two together.

"Train kept a rollin'" is a good one, but I think that might be cover.

Is a cover, dates back to the 1950’s, resurrected in the 60’s by the Yardbirds as part of their live show with the harmonica and their array of guitar stars, Aerosmith basically just updated the Yardbirds version

Is a cover, dates back to the 1950’s, resurrected in the 60’s by the Yardbirds as part of their live show with the harmonica and their array of guitar stars, Aerosmith basically just updated the Yardbirds version

See? This old man knows what he's talking about :)

(once in awhile)

Thanks!

LOL

Aerosmith are one of the most influential bands in the history of rock. They made albums and songs in the '70s that are all-time classics. They devolved into doing pop - and were less important at that point. But there is no denying their influence, talent and just how great they were.

I've seen just about every decent band over the years, including the Who, Led Zeppelin, Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Beach Boys, Rolling Stones and the list goes on and on.

Last edited:
LOL

Without Aerosmith, there would have been no Guns and Roses.

The 1970s version of Aerosmith had just enough decent tunes to vault them into the upper tier of great rock bands.

And their real claim to fame as far as I am concerned is they kept the torch lit for loud and dirty rock and roll when the music industry was largely sinking into an abyss of bubblegum pop and Disco.

Without Aerosmith, there would have been no Guns and Roses.

The 1970s version of Aerosmith had just enough decent tunes to vault them into the upper tier of great rock bands.

And their real claim to fame as far as I am concerned is they kept the torch lit for loud and dirty rock and roll when the music industry was largely sinking into an abyss of bubblegum pop and Disco.

Big deal, they are grossly overrated as well. Sweet Child of Mine is good but not much else.

The original version of Aerosmith is clearly superior to their later attempts to try pop rock.

But after living through ABBA, Little River Band, Bee Gees, Starland Vocal Band, bands like Aerosmith, Rush, and ACDC actually ended up making the mid to late 1970s respectable.
Aerosmith, like most sixties bands, covered some blues classics. Moreso with Zeppelin/Stones/Yardbirds. Zep had much better guitar than Aerosmith.

By the time Aerosmith came around, the Who had a rock opera and the mother of all concept albums Quadrophenia. I was already devouring everything Genesis had put out, and saw Yes numerous times. Tull was dominating fm radio for a while. I wore the grooves off of Derek And The Dominoes 'Layla' by then.

Living in a suburb of NYC, I was lucky to have numerous college rock stations that offered me options never heard on commercial fm radio. And that was when WNEW fm was at their peak. I was really into the Blues at 15.

For me...Kiss, Aerosmith, and a number of other new bands were just too simplistic for me.

But that's me. Cleary the numbers speak for themselves. If I was a little younger, I might have followed these bands.

Aerosmith, like most sixties bands, covered some blues classics. Moreso with Zeppelin/Stones/Yardbirds. Zep had much better guitar than Aerosmith.

By the time Aerosmith came around, the Who had a rock opera and the mother of all concept albums Quadrophenia. I was already devouring everything Genesis had put out, and saw Yes numerous times. Tull was dominating fm radio for a while. I wore the grooves off of Derek And The Dominoes 'Layla' by then.

Living in a suburb of NYC, I was lucky to have numerous college rock stations that offered me options never heard on commercial fm radio. And that was when WNEW fm was at their peak. I was really into the Blues at 15.

For me...Kiss, Aerosmith, and a number of other new bands were just too simplistic for me.

But that's me. Cleary the numbers speak for themselves. If I was a little younger, I might have followed these bands.

I like the Who, but Quadraphenia was there last truly good album, and that was 1973.

There was always a niche market for prog rock like Genesis and Yes, but I was in high school then, and prog rock didn't have a whole ton of traction with kids that age. I would say prog rock and attempts to be sophisticated were wearing on a lot of people's nerves by the mid 70s, because that was exactly the backlash that fueled punk, the Ramones, the Sex Pistols. Johnny Rotten famously hated Pink Floyd.

Not to mention the backlash against Disco.

Aerosmith was positioned to be the loud, dirty, three chord rock band to fill that void. When the album Rocks came out in 1975, it absolutely electrified everyone I knew in 8th grade

I like the Who, but Quadraphenia was there last truly good album, and that was 1973.
Agree. After that, they were basically phoning it in. Of course, the Daltrey/Townshend fights were taking center stage, with the latter basically going on strike lyrically.

There was always a niche market for prog rock like Genesis and Yes, but I was in high school then, and prog rock didn't have a whole ton of traction with kids that age. I would say prog rock and attempts to be sophisticated were wearing on a lot of people's nerves by the mid 70s, because that was exactly the backlash that fueled punk, the Ramones, the Sex Pistols. Johnny Rotten famously hated Pink Floyd.
LOL. Punk was all about hating everything. More movement than music ability. I was into the Ramones before anyone knew who they were. Again...NYC college radio. I outgrew them rather quickly.

Yes/ELP/Genesis sold out arenas, so the niche could have been regional

Not to mention the backlash against Disco.
LOL. Bee Gees biggest fall from grace.

Aerosmith was positioned to be the loud, dirty, three chord rock band to fill that void. When the album Rocks came out in 1975, it absolutely electrified everyone I knew in 8th grade
Yep...as I said...at 15 I was already way past them. A lot of people remember them fondly from their younger days.

Big deal, they are grossly overrated as well. Sweet Child of Mine is good but not much else.

"Appetite for Destruction" is legendary, and changed the entire musical landscape. Along w/ Nirvana, GnR laid waste to the whole glammy Sunset Strip scene.

They went downhill after that, but that album can't be denied.

You sound like a casual music listener.

Back