Amazon Tavern

Yeah, and not get so beastly hot. Summers are wonderful up here. The highest avg temp. in July is 76F. It does occasionally get into the 80s but we don't have those long stretches of 90+ days like we did in St. Louis. Plus being close to the Lake helps .... the wind blowing across it and coming onshore acts like a giant swamp cooler! I don't know how you FL ppl do it.
Wow, that sounds amazing for summer temps. The heat and humidity are miserable here in the summer --- which can last into Christmas. It hasn't hit 90 here yet but is slowly climbing into the 80s again. So not looking forward to the days opening a car door is like opening an oven. I honestly don't know how anyone can live here without A/C.

I started having regular migraines when I was only 7 or 8 yrs old. Had the first ocular one in my 20s as well. And yeah -- your first thought is stroke, followed by MS, followed by permanent blindness. I had a for-real stroke at age 50; a ruptured brain aneurysm. I have only had a handful of migraines since then, but for a long while afterwards I had those ocular ones. There were wavy blue and purple lines in one eye almost obscuring the visual field, followed by a dull headache on that side. After the aneurysm though, those seemed like nothing anymore. lol How did you treat yours? Did you go to the doctor?
Omg.....an aneurysm, that's awful. You are lucky as a lot of people don't survive those. I went to an ophthalmologist after the first one who told me what they were and how common they are.

Every time I've had an ocular migraine it begins with a blank spot in my vision and I know it's coming on, and I just have to sit it out. But gawd it's scary. I think there must be triggers for those. Maybe stress can bring them on, and the last time I had one, which was about 5 years ago I was on the Whole30 diet and I had a couple within a couple of months. After I got off it, no more though.

Wow, that sounds amazing for summer temps. The heat and humidity are miserable here in the summer --- which can last into Christmas. It hasn't hit 90 here yet but is slowly climbing into the 80s again. So not looking forward to the days opening a car door is like opening an oven. I honestly don't know how anyone can live here without A/C.

I don't either. St. Louis is horrid like that in the summer too, but yours lasts a LOT longer. Well, come on up, we have plenty of room! Our township is 162 square miles with a population of only 800, but a third of those are "summer people" who leave in October and don't come back till April or May. Our neighbors who lived down on the lake sold their home last fall to some summer ppl. Can you imagine being so rich you can buy a 2nd, summer only, home and pay $325G for it? Geeze.

My brother lived in Houston, during the humid times, and through the hurricane. It wasn't a surprise, that he jumped on a Job opportunity in Denver the next year. I visited him last summer, and it's enjoyable there. His apartment has a nice fireplace for the winter. As far as cities go, it was a nice one. Found my brewery of choice there, and still have a beer or two left from there.

I don't either. St. Louis is horrid like that in the summer too, but yours lasts a LOT longer. Well, come on up, we have plenty of room! Our township is 162 square miles with a population of only 800, but a third of those are "summer people" who leave in October and don't come back till April or May. Our neighbors who lived down on the lake sold their home last fall to some summer ppl. Can you imagine being so rich you can buy a 2nd, summer only, home and pay $325G for it? Geeze.
That would be so awesome. I know people here who are snowbirds, having homes up North in the summer and here in the winters. People say the heat on the West coast is different because it's not so humid so it's bearable.

Not only is the heat dreadful here, but the hurricane stuff is the worst. Can't imagine how stressful it is when you think a hurricane is headed your way, you don't whether to leave or stay and if you decide to go at the last minute, you will be in the biggest cluster of your life on the roads.

My brother lived in Houston, during the humid times, and through the hurricane. It wasn't a surprise, that he jumped on a Job opportunity in Denver the next year. I visited him last summer, and it's enjoyable there. His apartment has a nice fireplace for the winter. As far as cities go, it was a nice one. Found my brewery of choice there, and still have a beer or two left from there.
Was he near the hurricane? That was terrible, the flooding.

It would be so nice to have actual seasons! Instead of summer for 3 and spring for one.

Was he near the hurricane? That was terrible, the flooding.

It would be so nice to have actual seasons! Instead of summer for 3 and spring for one.

He was in the city during the hurricane. By the end, the near empty reservoir near them was brimming the top.

Omg.....an aneurysm, that's awful. You are lucky as a lot of people don't survive those. I went to an ophthalmologist after the first one who told me what they were and how common they are.

Did that help, knowing it wasn't a brain tumor or something? Yeah, I was ultra lucky. It happened at school. Got airlifted to a better hospital than the small one the ambulance took me too. The only lingering deficits I have is it messed up my balance badly, plus some lower limb weakness... I used to be able to rise without using my arms to push with, from a sitting position on the floor, but no more. But no cognition problems which is the most important thing.[/quote]

Every time I've had an ocular migraine it begins with a blank spot in my vision and I know it's coming on, and I just have to sit it out. But gawd it's scary. I think there must be triggers for those. Maybe stress can bring them on, and the last time I had one, which was about 5 years ago I was on the Whole30 diet and I had a couple within a couple of months. After I got off it, no more though.

Definitely foods can be triggers for common migraine, so it would make sense that it would work the same for the ocular ones. My trigger is/was flickering lights. It took a long time to figure that out, and why when we took the customary "Sunday drive in the country" as kids, I always got a migraine later from the sun/shadow flickering as the car drove along in wooded areas. Used to think it was because my mom smoked in the car. My youngest also has them; some foods seem to set them off, like wine, and some kinds of cheese. Glad yours are abating some. One good thing about getting old. That and being okay with being mean. lol

Edited for messing up the quote function. lol

Last edited:
That would be so awesome. I know people here who are snowbirds, having homes up North in the summer and here in the winters. People say the heat on the West coast is different because it's not so humid so it's bearable.

Not only is the heat dreadful here, but the hurricane stuff is the worst. Can't imagine how stressful it is when you think a hurricane is headed your way, you don't whether to leave or stay and if you decide to go at the last minute, you will be in the biggest cluster of your life on the roads.

Gods, I can't even begin to imagine that. Feel bad for Grumpy who was close to ground zero last year and is STILL picking up the pieces. How long have you lived there? Have you been in any hurricanes? What was that like?

As long as you can breath the thin air

Here we get ungodly humidity in the summer,curse of Ohio

It's nothing there. It only gets bad, when you really get up there.

Denver's not bad at all for "thin air." It sure does have some pollution issues in certain seasons though. Really love that dry climate in Colorado. Went there in 2010 with my youngest and her squeeze for a week. At one point they went off to do some touristing while Mr. Owl and I went to Florissant Fossil Beds park and hiked when it was close to 100F.... but it didn't seem that warm at all. The humidity was like 7% or something. lol

Denver's not bad at all for "thin air." It sure does have some pollution issues in certain seasons though. Really love that dry climate in Colorado. Went there in 2010 with my youngest and her squeeze for a week. At one point they went off to do some touristing while Mr. Owl and I went to Florissant Fossil Beds park and hiked when it was close to 100F.... but it didn't seem that warm at all. The humidity was like 7% or something. lol

Maybe for you guys,even Northern Michigan where it's higher than here in the low lands is hard on me!

Maybe for you guys,even Northern Michigan where it's higher than here in the low lands is hard on me!

:laugh:

Our house sits about 255' above Lake Superior; the entire area is ~800' above sea level. Guess my geography knowledge must be a bit fuzzy.... was surprised to find that the Lake itself is 600' above sea level.

:laugh:

Our house sits about 255' above Lake Superior; the entire area is ~800' above sea level. Guess my geography knowledge must be a bit fuzzy.... was surprised to find that the Lake itself is 600' above sea level.

Around Muskegon,the higher elevation got to me.
But on second thought,I did acid that day!

I'm going thru 10 pages of RB-60's original thread,some dangerous stuff here:speaknoevil:

:rofl2: Yes, I archived some too. Today's forecast?

S5SFPk2.jpg

Did that help, knowing it wasn't a brain tumor or something?
A little but it was still incredibly scary. You always wonder, what if it doesn't go away this time?

Yeah, I was ultra lucky. It happened at school. Got airlifted to a better hospital than the small one the ambulance took me too. The only lingering deficits I have is it messed up my balance badly, plus some lower limb weakness... I used to be able to rise without using my arms to push with, from a sitting position on the floor, but no more. But no cognition problems which is the most important thing.
Did they have any idea what causes it or could it have been one of those silent genetic things you never knew about? Thank goodness you have little residual effects.

Definitely foods can be triggers for common migraine, so it would make sense that it would work the same for the ocular ones. My trigger is/was flickering lights. It took a long time to figure that out, and why when we took the customary "Sunday drive in the country" as kids, I always got a migraine later from the sun/shadow flickering as the car drove along in wooded areas. Used to think it was because my mom smoked in the car. My youngest also has them; some foods seem to set them off, like wine, and some kinds of cheese. Glad yours are abating some. One good thing about getting old. That and being okay with being mean. lol

Edited for messing up the quote function. lol
Must be but I can't pinpoint what it could be. The Whole30 diet is so restrictively crazy; no dairy, artificial sweeteners, anything. It's supposed to be a 30 day plan, I made it only 3 weeks but lost about 9 lbs.
One thing for sure, getting older isn't for wimps. I don't think I've gotten mean but I sure am a lot wiser. :laugh:

Back