Amazon Tavern

Please post some! I would love to see your viewpoint from up there!

Yeah 80F with that low of humidity isn't bad at all. Your descriptions of your area make me want to plan another trip out West. Last time I was there was 50 years ago last month! Is Sequoia Natl Park still there, still nice and still less-crowded than Yosemite?

Our b.i.l. who visited last week has been spending several weeks each summer staying in various western parts of the country. Last year it was NM/AZ. This year it was OR/WA/Northern CA/WY. Next year he wants to go to Yosemite, but said that the waiting list to get lodging inside the park is over a year wait. He did go to Yellowstone this year but stayed outside the park, and spent hours each day just driving or sitting in traffic. What time of year would you recommend to visit the western national parks, esp. those in California?

Didn't take a lot of pics, was more into micro shots (this is Mariah Point & the Royal Gorge of the North Fork of the American river-mostly between 6,000-7,000ft). The white thing is a shroon, I didn't taste it...lol The bamboo was from the restaurant on the way home, saw the light emanating behind that bamboo, had to get a couple shots of it

Had first Boreal Flora class today.... squeeeee! It's something I've dreamed about being able to do all my life! Imagine walking through a forest, an expert with you pointing out the various plants and telling you about why each one is unique! The prof has a PhD in Botany and he sure earned it. The only aid he brought along with a dry erase board that he wrote the plants' names on. So we have to learn 160 - 200 plants by sight, along with their Latin names, their family classifications, medicinal or edible or poisonous qualities, and something unique about each one for extra credit. Next week we get to go get wet and muck out a pond and learn aquatic plants. That's gonna be a tough one, other than the generic "lily pad," I don't know any aquatic guys... yet!

Damn, I sure do love this place. :~)

A few years ago I took a class on how to create an English garden and the teacher only called plants by their Latin names. He said once we learn the Latin names we'll always know the plants no matter where we go and where we see them. I took it seriously and always try to memorize the Latin name now.

A few years ago I took a class on how to create an English garden and the teacher only called plants by their Latin names. He said once we learn the Latin names we'll always know the plants no matter where we go and where we see them. I took it seriously and always try to memorize the Latin name now.

It's a lot of fun, isn't it?

So did you create your English garden? What comprises one?

Didn't take a lot of pics, was more into micro shots (this is Mariah Point & the Royal Gorge of the North Fork of the American river-mostly between 6,000-7,000ft). The white thing is a shroon, I didn't taste it...lol The bamboo was from the restaurant on the way home, saw the light emanating behind that bamboo, had to get a couple shots of it

Thanks. Very, very nice.

It's a lot of fun, isn't it?

So did you create your English garden? What comprises one?

I did! It's comprised mostly of old-fashioned perennial flowers like hollyhocks, foxgloves, lilies, roses, delphiniums and ferns. You wouldn't find something like a New Guinea impatiens or a wave petunia. :)

Our Jarod on JPP? Oh no.

From looking on the maps the area of palm beach might get it pretty hard but not the worst. I looked at the maps and made a guess estimate of where the wost might be. A place called Vero Beach seems to be close to the center of impact. That is about 75 miles north of Palm Beach.

It's pretty sad looking now, near the end of the season. Most of them have had their day and are going back to sleep for six months. Such is the way of the perennial. I'll try to remember this next spring, though.

We don't have many perennials here other than wildflowers, but yeah -- everything is dwindling down now. The leaves started turning a couple of weeks ago; going to be an early autumn this year. Will try to remind you about pics next summer!

Did you buy the delphinium as plants, or grow them from seed?

We don't have many perennials here other than wildflowers, but yeah -- everything is dwindling down now. The leaves started turning a couple of weeks ago; going to be an early autumn this year. Will try to remind you about pics next summer!

Did you buy the delphinium as plants, or grow them from seed?

I bought plants. I buy a lot of stuff at the end of the season when they're marked down, then baby them through the winter. I bought seeds for Arctic Fire dianthus this year and didn't get a single one.

prod002081.jpg

Back