Amazon Tavern

So Florida and SE ppl -- how are you faring down there? Life is Golden? Jarod? Anyone else dealing with Dorian?
Everything is fine in N. Florida. Biggest non-event I've experienced. Barely rained and little wind. I'm burned out from being glued to the TV for over a week. Thanks for asking.

Everything is fine in N. Florida. Biggest non-event I've experienced. Barely rained and little wind. I'm burned out from being glued to the TV for over a week. Thanks for asking.

Better that kind of burn-out than the other though! Glad it passed you by. Our friend in SC changed her mind about leaving; she decided that loading up the rest of the geriatric (some 80+ yrs old!) macaws would be too hard on them, so she moved them to the upper floor and stayed home with them. They live just south of Charleston on one of the barrier islands. Her house is the kind that is up on stilts. No damage so far other than not having power. We have an organization that holds fundraisers to donate to parrot causes, rescues, personal vet bills, ransoms, and humane societies that get overwhelmed when a large number of birds/animals are confiscated from hoarders. We're plotting behind Judith's back to have a fundraiser to get her a generator for next time.

Better that kind of burn-out than the other though! Glad it passed you by. Our friend in SC changed her mind about leaving; she decided that loading up the rest of the geriatric (some 80+ yrs old!) macaws would be too hard on them, so she moved them to the upper floor and stayed home with them. They live just south of Charleston on one of the barrier islands. Her house is the kind that is up on stilts. No damage so far other than not having power. We have an organization that holds fundraisers to donate to parrot causes, rescues, personal vet bills, ransoms, and humane societies that get overwhelmed when a large number of birds/animals are confiscated from hoarders. We're plotting behind Judith's back to have a fundraiser to get her a generator for next time.
That's a nice thing to do for her.

She was wise not to panic and leave. Being inland, anything category 1-3 doesn't scare me much. I've done this drill for years, many times and have seen different ones play out. The media overhype and commercialize any hurricane to the nth degree. It's like their Super Bowl.

I hope so too! Sometimes (esp. during solar maximum) they're visible as far south as northern California. Or you can always come visit us here in the Frozen North.

Thanks.

When is the best time of year to see them?? Does it matter where?? A difference from say Vancouver Island & the UP??

She was wise not to panic and leave. Being inland, anything category 1-3 doesn't scare me much. I've done this drill for years, many times and have seen different ones play out. The media overhype and commercialize any hurricane to the nth degree. It's like their Super Bowl.

I know. But the fear is there that if they fail to get the message out, it will cost lives... ala Katrina. Or Joplin MO.

Thanks.

When is the best time of year to see them?? Does it matter where?? A difference from say Vancouver Island & the UP??

They seem more active around the equinoxes. Vancouver Island is probably cloudy much of the time? You'd want a more inland place, probably, to escape that marine fog/clouds. We have that here too of course, but not to the extent you oceanside guys do. Fairbanks is a pretty good place to see them, most of the time. Except in summer, of course.

I know. But the fear is there that if they fail to get the message out, it will cost lives... ala Katrina. Or Joplin MO.
Katrina sat in the Gulf and spun as a cat 5 for over a week. And NO is under sea level. So to me, that's a no-brainer. These people here who scream the sky is falling because a cat 2 might scrape the coastline act out of panic. It's just not a big threat. So glad it's all over.

Katrina sat in the Gulf and spun as a cat 5 for over a week. And NO is under sea level. So to me, that's a no-brainer. These people here who scream the sky is falling because a cat 2 might scrape the coastline act out of panic. It's just not a big threat. So glad it's all over.

Looks like Gabrielle is heading away from N. America as well. Whew.

yea, they do that here all the time, every year..... They play up these huge storms & they are right one out of 12 times, most don't take them seriously any more..

They are bored most of the time as nothing exciting happens & then they make up for it when it rains 1/10th of an inch....

They seem more active around the equinoxes. Vancouver Island is probably cloudy much of the time? You'd want a more inland place, probably, to escape that marine fog/clouds. We have that here too of course, but not to the extent you oceanside guys do. Fairbanks is a pretty good place to see them, most of the time. Except in summer, of course.
:thup: Excellent point, had not considered that.. thnx

Today's adventures include a 10-hour "field trip" for the botany class to fens and dunes over in the eastern part of the U.P. Looking forward to meeting some new plants!

Today's adventures include a 10-hour "field trip" for the botany class to fens and dunes over in the eastern part of the U.P. Looking forward to meeting some new plants!
Sounds fun. The weather must be getting nice there this time of year. I have birds of paradise blooming this time of year. I picked all the blooms, too nice to let die on the vine. It always blooms in Sept.

Sounds fun. The weather must be getting nice there this time of year. I have birds of paradise blooming this time of year. I picked all the blooms, too nice to let die on the vine. It always blooms in Sept.

Are you familiar with a supplement called berberine?Used for insulin resistance,and bs levels.

Post us a pic!

Yeah, it's cool -- 60s. Leaves started changing a few weeks ago, looking pretty nice. I liked the dunes part of the field trip but the fen not so much. A fen is basically a bog, or in Alaska would be called "muskeg." We got pretty wet. But saw some uber cool plants, including several carnivorous plants! Who knew? I always thought that those lived in warm areas like where you are. View from atop the dunes. (500 feet above the lake surface.)

IgzcHGN.jpg

Post us a pic!

Yeah, it's cool -- 60s. Leaves started changing a few weeks ago, looking pretty nice. I liked the dunes part of the field trip but the fen not so much. A fen is basically a bog, or in Alaska would be called "muskeg." We got pretty wet. But saw some uber cool plants, including several carnivorous plants! Who knew? I always thought that those lived in warm areas like where you are. View from atop the dunes. (500 feet above the lake surface.)

IgzcHGN.jpg
Majestic! What a lovely place. You do many interesting things.

Post us a pic!

IgzcHGN.jpg

Cool......... Is there a trail down?? How high is the cliff??

I thought most of them were in warm climates as well.....

Back