Amazon Tavern

It's when a vessel (or missile) aligns with the direction of the wind. Usually happens when its steering (or in the case of my kayak, the driver) has failed.
Yes, I kayak & have been in strong winds but would think a big ship wouldn't have that much of a problem...

No, it's dead in the water. It's not a large freighter; 730' (most of them are closer to 1000'). He's really lucky that we have stiff SSW winds today keeping him offshore.

http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/timsdool.htm

ThnX

How hard is it blowing??

I have been in winds about 30-gusting to over 40 & experienced it coming directly on my side (out & back)... I thought it would be easier going back but it was just as hard in both directions.....

ThnX
How hard is it blowing??
I have been in winds about 30-gusting to over 40 & experienced it coming directly on my side (out & back)... I thought it would be easier going back but it was just as hard in both directions.....

At that time it was ~25 knots with gusts over 30. It died down at sunset, and around 9 pm we saw her heading off to the NW. Her destination was Thunder Bay ON. The neighbors had a better view of her than we did:

QFkXQOQ.jpg

Anyone want to do silly pet pics?

Here is the clever and wily A̶f̶r̶i̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶G̶r̶e̶y̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶r̶o̶t̶ Great Moray Death Eel in his natural habitat. He waits silently for his favorite prey, toes, to stumble by totally unaware of the great danger lurking in the shadows under the TV stand.

SzilqyP.jpg

Here is the clever and wily A̶f̶r̶i̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶G̶r̶e̶y̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶r̶o̶t̶ Great Moray Death Eel in his natural habitat. He waits silently for his favorite prey, toes, to stumble by totally unaware of the great danger lurking in the shadows under the TV stand.

SzilqyP.jpg

Your parrot is a Star Trek fan?

SzilqyP.jpg

whoa, I bet he could take off a pinky toe in a heart beat..........

No lighthouse or anything warning ships?

There is an island about 8 miles out there that has an automated lighthouse on it. It sits in 90' of water. This is the first time we've seen a ship inside of the area between the island and the shore. Never did find out what the issue was with it, if it had one.

There is an island about 8 miles out there that has an automated lighthouse on it. It sits in 90' of water. This is the first time we've seen a ship inside of the area between the island and the shore. Never did find out what the issue was with it, if it had one.

Must have lost power and drifted in.

Must have lost power and drifted in.

That was our theory as well. The neighbor said she saw a freighter out there around 6 am all lit up, heading NW towards Thunder Bay. It wasn't till later in the morning she realized that it was floating out there, and let us know too. So I ran over and picked them up and we all drove down to the lake to see it close up.

Pretty cool!

Back