Amazon Tavern

Beautiful sunrise this morning. Sol is coming up around 6am (EDT) currently. Was surprised at how misty it looked since the humidity is low right now. It's haze from wildfires in western Canadian.

4ishHxU.jpg

I couldn't enjoy the first park on our tour last year, because of a wildfire in Waterton Park. Missed the best parts. :(

We have had that problem for a long time here, it has gotten worse.. When I go hiking in the summer it is often in smokey conditions...

If you guys would just rake the forests this wouldn't be a concern. lol

lol, that isn't practical in most places in calif for various reasons..............

In many of the places were there were fires ppl are already moving back in, eventhough the area will remain prone to fires...

I went hiking in an area we visited last year & going up through the burn area were very few houses, & now they are back in trailers & temp sheds etc...... The standing dead, half burnt trees still remain everywhere & are capable of burning again as the undergrowth has already accumulated..

I went hiking in an area we visited last year & going up through the burn area were very few houses, & now they are back in trailers & temp sheds etc...... The standing dead, half burnt trees still remain everywhere & are capable of burning again as the undergrowth has already accumulated..

As anyone with a wood stove or fireplace or grill knows, half-burnt wood is even more combustible.

Yep... What are your thoughts on logging??

It's a thriving thing around here. It makes me inexpressibly sad to see whole swaths of forest knocked down, knowing that entire ecosystems are being destroyed. The trees communicate with one another through chemical signals. They also have complex and intricate symbiotic relationships with other organisms including fungi, mosses, lichens, and other plant life. But.... I love wood. Our house is made of it, as is the stuff inside it. We burn it to heat the house. The logging creates jobs not only for the loggers but for all the downstream ppl who use the wood for paper, furniture, houses, etc.

Some loggers here seem to take only certain trees and leave the forest more intact than others, who use bulldozers to mow down *everything.* They are supposed to replant but in our short (2.5 years) time here, I have not seen them do that.

What do you think about it in your area?

It's a thriving thing around here. It makes me inexpressibly sad to see whole swaths of forest knocked down, knowing that entire ecosystems are being destroyed. The trees communicate with one another through chemical signals. They also have complex and intricate symbiotic relationships with other organisms including fungi, mosses, lichens, and other plant life. But.... I love wood. Our house is made of it, as is the stuff inside it. We burn it to heat the house. The logging creates jobs not only for the loggers but for all the downstream ppl who use the wood for paper, furniture, houses, etc.

Some loggers here seem to take only certain trees and leave the forest more intact than others, who use bulldozers to mow down *everything.* They are supposed to replant but in our short (2.5 years) time here, I have not seen them do that.

What do you think about it in your area?

I have not seen clear cutting out here, other than up in Washington..

Almost all the mills are gone now but they use to cut more selectively & it wasn't pretty but it was effective & sustainable..

The trees are coming out one way or the other, either on the back of a truck or in a puff of smoke...

It is dry here most of the year, & w/ huge fires in BS & Alberta what hope is there for us?? There are places so thick w/ trees & brush you can't walk where 5 years ago was a well established trail..

& down south in the desert, small bushes are sparse but tremendous winds whip the fire around quickly...

Mason.
She goes into attack mode just begging me to respond. What am I suppose to do, just stand there sucking my thumb?
... and, when did talking about each other's sex lives become off limits? When did THAT fucking Rule go into affect?
I don't see why I have to stand here and listen to these fake high-brow types like Cypress and Phantasmal talking about what hats to wear at the Kentucky Derby and the Regulars that used to come to the Tavern get ejected when they talk about Tits and Ass.

Why don't you rename this place 'Havana Moon's Tea Parlor' or some kind of 'Yurt's Arts & Crafts Center'? Taverns all across America should sue you for what you've done to 'Taverns' as an American Institution!

Mason.
She goes into attack mode just begging me to respond. What am I suppose to do, just stand there sucking my thumb?
... and, when did talking about each other's sex lives become off limits? When did THAT fucking Rule go into affect?
I don't see why I have to stand here and listen to these fake high-brow types like Cypress and Phantasmal talking about what hats to wear at the Kentucky Derby and the Regulars that used to come to the Tavern get ejected when they talk about Tits and Ass.

Why don't you rename this place 'Havana Moon's Tea Parlor' or some kind of 'Yurt's Arts & Crafts Center'? Taverns all across America should sue you for what you've done to 'Taverns' as an American Institution!

"Can't we all just get along "!

I have not seen clear cutting out here, other than up in Washington..
Almost all the mills are gone now but they use to cut more selectively & it wasn't pretty but it was effective & sustainable..
The trees are coming out one way or the other, either on the back of a truck or in a puff of smoke...
It is dry here most of the year, & w/ huge fires in BS & Alberta what hope is there for us?? There are places so thick w/ trees & brush you can't walk where 5 years ago was a well established trail..
& down south in the desert, small bushes are sparse but tremendous winds whip the fire around quickly...

Your ecosystem, from what I understand, evolved with occasional wildfires going through and cleaning out the undergrowth, is that correct?

Those fires are causing us to have hazy skies the last few days... it must be pretty bad up there.

Back