Amazon Tavern

1414746243984_wps_1_CCTV_still_of_Maria_Adams.jpg

:whoa:

:laugh::laugh:

Anyone want to discuss hobbies we have? One of mine is making beaded native-themed jewelry. Here's a pic. What do you guys enjoy doing?

XSVTstX.jpg

I found out when I ordered something yesterday that I can still use the Amazon Smile w/o installing the app! I chose Chocolay Raptor Center.

I've been using Amazon Smile for a few years now and donate to a local dog rescue (although I'm a cat person, lol). Sometimes, guinea pigs and hamsters are rescued as well. A co-worker's husband is the Executive Director at this rescue and she's on the Board of Directors. Like the others, I did not download the AmazonAssistant app.

Beautiful!

Thanks! I've done beadwork off and on since I was a grade school kid. I got one of those cheapie "Indian bead looms" for Christmas one year. But it wasn't till we moved here that I found a whole community of fellow beadworkers! We get together in the summer on Sunday afternoons to chat and bead together. During the school year we meet at the Native American Center. I was even lucky enough to be able to take a whole semester of beadwork instruction for college credit! Sounds kinda like Basketweaving 101 for liberal arts majors, doesn't it? lol

It wasn't. We had to learn 15 different stitches, the history of beadwork/quill work/decoration across North America including cultural and religious significance, the various motifs and designs used by different nations, plus the laws protecting native-made products and penalties for violating them.

We had to be able to demonstrate proficiency in at least 10 stitches, make a fully beaded moccasin, plus another large project that had to be entered in the NMU student works art show. No pressure. lol Here is a bag that I made for the art exhibit. The beaded area is the size of a CD, sewn to red velvet. The bag is lined with satin. I braided the strap from satin cording.

pKBfwWK.jpg

What hobbies do you have?

Thanks! I've done beadwork off and on since I was a grade school kid. I got one of those cheapie "Indian bead looms" for Christmas one year. But it wasn't till we moved here that I found a whole community of fellow beadworkers! We get together in the summer on Sunday afternoons to chat and bead together. During the school year we meet at the Native American Center. I was even lucky enough to be able to take a whole semester of beadwork instruction for college credit! Sounds kinda like Basketweaving 101 for liberal arts majors, doesn't it? lol

It wasn't. We had to learn 15 different stitches, the history of beadwork/quill work/decoration across North America including cultural and religious significance, the various motifs and designs used by different nations, plus the laws protecting native-made products and penalties for violating them.

We had to be able to demonstrate proficiency in at least 10 stitches, make a fully beaded moccasin, plus another large project that had to be entered in the NMU student works art show. No pressure. lol Here is a bag that I made for the art exhibit. The beaded area is the size of a CD, sewn to red velvet. The bag is lined with satin. I braided the strap from satin cording.

pKBfwWK.jpg

What hobbies do you have?

That's absolutely beautiful! I love it! When I get a chance, I do like photography. I also love to write. Right now, I am working on an outline for a book for other parents for when they first get the diagnosis of autism for their child. It probably won't go anywhere, but it's at least therapeutic for me! Matt goes to ESY again this summer, so that will give me a little time this summer for some pursuits.

That's absolutely beautiful! I love it! When I get a chance, I do like photography. I also love to write. Right now, I am working on an outline for a book for other parents for when they first get the diagnosis of autism for their child. It probably won't go anywhere, but it's at least therapeutic for me! Matt goes to ESY again this summer, so that will give me a little time this summer for some pursuits.

Thanks so much.

Wow... writing... I can see how it would be therapeutic plus help you feel that you are a lifeline to others just starting the journey with their child. Do you have a blog? Are you thinking of publishing in an ebook format, like via Amazon? When you get to the point where it's time for beta readers, please consider me, I would be honored!

Thanks so much.

Wow... writing... I can see how it would be therapeutic plus help you feel that you are a lifeline to others just starting the journey with their child. Do you have a blog? Are you thinking of publishing in an ebook format, like via Amazon? When you get to the point where it's time for beta readers, please consider me, I would be honored!

You are very welcome!

It really is therapeutic. Right now I don't have a blog, but I might start one eventually. I am thinking to make both physical and ebook copies. My therapist is thrilled with my idea! Thank you so much! I would be honored, too!

You are very welcome!

It really is therapeutic. Right now I don't have a blog, but I might start one eventually. I am thinking to make both physical and ebook copies. My therapist is thrilled with my idea! Thank you so much! I would be honored, too!

When you were first finding out about Matt's diagnosis, you must have felt so alone and "why me?" and angry and devastated all at once. I think it's like that when we get any kind of terrible news. Just think of how the story of your own journey could help other moms/dads. You are very good at writing and conveying ideas and emotions. Your book could do so much good.

When you were first finding out about Matt's diagnosis, you must have felt so alone and "why me?" and angry and devastated all at once. I think it's like that when we get any kind of terrible news. Just think of how the story of your own journey could help other moms/dads. You are very good at writing and conveying ideas and emotions. Your book could do so much good.

Yes! Out of all of those feelings, the biggest one was fear.

Thank you! That's what I am hoping for, to at least help other parents know that it's all not as bad as it first seems. With the right help, so many things can happen that you originally didn't think possible. Hey, he's going into the 8th grade this year! I still worry, of course, but not as much as I first did.

Thank you so much! One of the things that I want parents to know, too, that they're not alone. That was the biggest relief knowing that there is support out there. I hope that I can help and give back.

Back