Amazon Tavern

Yea that's me with hair and 100lbs lighter.

I built others later but that was my first and favorite. I also had a VW coupe named the inspector with the cartoon Clouseau on it.

So you don't do that as a hobby anymore? What kind of things are you enjoying now? Do you guys travel a lot?

Mostly fishing. We traveled so much during my career we are traveled out. The most we do anymore is going to Orlando and Tampa to see family.

Fishing out on the ocean, or inland? Love fishing too. Mr. Owl's work friend and her husband are coming to visit at the end of July; we've booked a charter out on the big lake. Hope we catch something delicious! You guys have some huge fish there. That's a bucket list thing, to go fishing in the southern ocean. We've fished out of Homer and Sitka, AK.

Fishing out on the ocean, or inland? Love fishing too. Mr. Owl's work friend and her husband are coming to visit at the end of July; we've booked a charter out on the big lake. Hope we catch something delicious! You guys have some huge fish there. That's a bucket list thing, to go fishing in the southern ocean. We've fished out of Homer and Sitka, AK.

Mostly in the bay. Plenty of King Mackerel, Speckled Trout, Flounder, ect.

Last edited:
Yes I did a couple of times until about 15 years ago when I permanently quit. Smoking got so expensive it wasn't worth it.

Great, they are around 7-8 a pack here now..

Yes, that was part of the reason I quit.. I of course quit many times but THE LAST TIME I used the Nicorete gum & it helped get me (& a pound of sunflower seeds a day) over the first two weeks.

I was going out a lot, you could smoke in clubs & bars back then so I didn't have to kick that as well to avoid the temptation...........

I made my mind up when by GF @ the time wanted me to go buy a pack & I refused to pay $1.65 a pack.. Of course later she nagged me into going back in (drive-in movie) the concession & getting them~but that night I committed to myself I was going quit & this would be my excuse...lol

I made my mind up when by GF @ the time wanted me to go buy a pack & I refused to pay $1.65 a pack.. Of course later she nagged me into going back in (drive-in movie) the concession & getting them~but that night I committed to myself I was going quit & this would be my excuse...lol

Good for you! I tried the gum, substituting sunflower seeds, hard candy, etc. Was able to quit for a few days or weeks, but then always started up again. Didn't help that my late husband smoked too. The year that he passed, I went to my oldest g-daughter's 7th b-day party. On the way home I was thinking about how amazing she is, and how I couldn't wait to see who she grows up to be. Went to light up, then threw the whole pack out the window and never touched one again. It's pretty amazing what you can do if you can talk your mind into it. BTW, she's 21 now. I often thank her for saving my life.

Yes, that was part of the reason I quit.. I of course quit many times but THE LAST TIME I used the Nicorete gum & it helped get me (& a pound of sunflower seeds a day) over the first two weeks.

I was going out a lot, you could smoke in clubs & bars back then so I didn't have to kick that as well to avoid the temptation...........

they are around 7-8 a pack here now..

What gets me are the people like my nephew who is just making ends meet pay that for a pack. I could but a carton of Doral cigs for $15 on base all of a sudden they jumped to over $20 a carton that is when I quit cold turkey.

You guys eat them too, right?

Oh heavens YES. But we mostly catch and release as at the height of our fishing we had so much fish the freezer was full. Had to throw most of it out as it was freezer burned. So now we just go to a local fish store and buy freshly caught fish. If you like fish try fresh Tuna cooked on the grill basted with lemon garlic and butter it's unbelievable.

Yep, I quit many times and started again. Never used anything, just quit cold turkey. Like Owl says, it's amazing what you can accomplish when you make your mind up to do to. I don't think I will ever start back again now.

Yep, I quit many times and started again. Never used anything, just quit cold turkey. Like Owl says, it's amazing what you can accomplish when you make your mind up to do to. I don't think I will ever start back again now.

Good for you. Smoking is 99% mental and 1% nicotine addiction. After 72 hrs the withdrawl symptoms normally go away (in most people)from then on it's all mental.

Oh heavens YES. But we mostly catch and release as at the height of our fishing we had so much fish the freezer was full. Had to throw most of it out as it was freezer burned. So now we just go to a local fish store and buy freshly caught fish. If you like fish try fresh Tuna cooked on the grill basted with lemon garlic and butter it's unbelievable.

We eat that whenever it's on sale! You're right; it's amazing. One cool thing about Michigan is allowing the sale of wild game and fish. So we can buy venison, whitefish fresh caught from Superior, northern pike, walleye, perch, lake salmon, lake trout, etc.

Is the kind of tuna you're talking about called "Ahi"? That's what is available here, sometimes.

Back