American woman reveals the 23 reasons why British are better than Americans

I seriously doubt anyone in the world has the food scene the U.S. Does simply because no nation has the scope of agriculture we do combined with our entrepreneurial capacity. We have it all in mind numbing variety from cheap peasant food and corporate plastic to Haute Cuisine of Michelin quality to the freshest of seasonal farm products and everything in between. That and we're not tied into any culinary traditions.

It certainly makes you grossly fat. :)

There are some things I like better about England. I like their accents, and I like both the formal social customs of the elite, as well as the pub culture. Since I don't really have any connection to half of my ethnic heritage, and little to my other half, I have always recognized England as my historical and cultural ancestor.

Beyond all of that, America is vastly superior, and I don't need to detail why.
But you never been anywhere else, so how do you know?

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk

Overall, I'd say British food is currently the best in the world. As with bad teeth and 'warm'(right) beer temperature, this is ancient historical prejudice from c.1943.

someday you should travel beyond Wales......there is meat other than mutton......

Thank you for quoting the Nutter PMP, Milagro. I'd guess I've been in more countries that he knows the names of, which is, I'm sure, not something that demands much travel!

Last edited:
Thank you for quoting the Nutter PMP, Milago. I'd guess I've been in more countries that he knows the names of, which is, I'm sure, not something that demands much travel!
You're welcome. The fact that I said Welsh lamb is the best in the world seemed to escape your attention, par for the course I fear. I bet you haven't been to as many countries as me though.

Last edited:
You're welcome. The fact that I said Welsh lamb is the best in the world seemed to escape your attention, oar for the course I fear. I bet you haven't been to as many countries as me though.

Probably not - I've always got on perfectly well with the police, even when they were listening in on my phone! :) I've tended, in fact, to concentrate on Europe - been in most countries there, and to Turkey. Didn't fancy Bulgaria and Romania though, for some reason. 'Welsh' lamb speaks for itself: baaaaah :)'

• The American woman published the witty and detailed list on Quora
  • She praised Brits for their queuing system and sensible 'portion control'
  • Wrote, 'they call soccer football because it's clearly played with the foot'

An American woman is sweeping the internet with her highly amusing list of reasons why the Brits do it better.
Ivy Lee, as she is known on Quora, based in Sunnyvale, California, published the list in response to a question on the forum: 'What do the British do better than the Americans?' She reeled off 23 examples in total, praising the UK on everything from its food and music to its £10 note and its plug sockets.

39AAE9BC00000578-0-image-a-29_1477318276000.jpg

The California-based mum reeled off 23 examples in total, praising the UK on everything from its hearty full English breakfast and good music to its £10 note and its plug sockets

At the top of her carefully composed list was the British language in its purest, un-Americanised form. 'They call hamburger "beef burger" because it's clearly made of beef,' she points out. 'They call soccer "football" because it's clearly played with the foot.'She also praised the full English breakfast, but also remarked: 'They have portion control, resulting in higher life expectancy while we have super-sized everything (because why not?), resulting in obesity (this is why not). Other items on the list include the UK's free healthcare and 28-day paid holiday allowance, compared America's pitiful ten days.

39AAE9D800000578-0-image-a-30_1477318287090.jpg

The woman also praised the British accent, its healthcare system and even its lousy weather - for teaching its citizens to 'appreciate the sun'

Even our weather was flipped into a positive. 'They know how to appreciate the sun because though the sun never sets in the British empire, it rarely shines in the motherland,' she wittily remarked. They have Charles Darwin on their £10 note while we are 42 percent creationist. But the final blow to her own lacking patriotism was perhaps saved for last. 'They beat us at politeness and profanity at the same time,' she stated. And, 'the English accent is more attractive than the American accent. This is just an indisputable fact of nature'.

THE LIST IN FULL: 23 REASONS THE BRITISH DO IT BETTER

<<snip>>

Me and relatives in Canada, Belarus, and Russia generally have the tact to not crow to each other about how our respective countries might be superior. Don't think I'd ever go on a UK internet forum and run my mouth about how USA is superior. But it doesn't bother me if others don't practice that level of tact and class.

I would actually love to visit the UK, and there are a lot of things I admire about the English, Scots, and Welsh. I recently watched a video lecture series about the history of England, from Roman times up to through the Tudor era...and I loved every minute of it. English history has so much more depth and texture than what passes for American "history".

Love the fish and chips, and the pub culture too!

Me and relatives in Canada, Belarus, and Russia generally have the tact to not crow to each other about how our respective countries might be superior. Don't think I'd ever go on a UK internet forum and run my mouth about how USA is superior. But it doesn't bother me if others don't practice that level of tact and class.

I would actually love to visit the UK, and there are a lot of things I admire about the English, Scots, and Welsh. I recently watched a video lecture series about the history of England, from Roman times up to through the Tudor era...and I loved every minute of it. English history has so much more depth and texture than what passes for American "history".

Love the fish and chips, and the pub culture too!
It seems that you are incapable of posting without snarkiness. Maybe your Russian blood explains why you like to rewrite history?

Sent from my iPhone 25 GT Turbo

Back