And were off!

they could do a 64 team tourny to but they won't.
I gurantee you it won't be more than 8.

Big ten and Pac 10 need to stop being pussies and have a conference title game like the big boys do.
Uhhh aint you been reading the papers Toppie? Big 10/12 will have one next year.

Uhhh aint you been reading the papers Toppie? Big 10/12 will have one next year.

Not only has it been in the news, the debacle over the way to schedule the OSU/MSU game has been fodder for sports writers for weeks.

Come on Topper. You gotta keep up, man.

I never heard how it turned out. I just saw story after story on it on the sports news sites
It worked out great. They haven't named the divisions yet though the fan favorites are "Black Division" and "Blue Division" but they break down like this.

Div A:Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Mighigan State, North Western and Minnesota

Div B: OSU, PSU, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Purdue

They achieved their goal of maintaining competitive balance and they've kept most of the traditional rivalries intact, particularly OSU vs the mouth breathers from up north. Though that could mean on occasion they would play two games in a row for the conference championship but that probably won't happen often. Some of the old rivalries will be swept away but most of them will be kept.

Last year they opened vs an unranked Virginia Tech in the Georgia Dome which might as well have been a home game. The year before that they played #9 Clemson in the same place, at least that game could be said to be neutral territory and they exposed Clemson 34-10. I am not even saying that Boise could be Bama, I am pretty sure it would have been a better game than the 08 Clemson game. All I am saying is eveyone wants to talk about strength of schedule but none of the elite teams are willing to play Boise, even on their home turf, let alone in Boise. So when Boise wins against a top ten team, then goes the rest of the season undefeated, then they deserve a NC shot. If the elite teams don't like it all they have to do is play Boise State early in the year and knock them out of contention.

Soc, you cannot talk to SEC fans about OOC scheduling. So all SEC teams play four non-conference games. Then norm is to play three cupcakes and (maybe) one good team. That way when everyone gets into conference 4-0 or 3-1 they can say 'look how great our conference is...'

Look at the number of Div II teams the SEC schedules. It's a joke. Florida almost never travels out of the state of Florida for an OOC game. Almost all SEC teams never leave the South.

The last few years the conference has obviously been very strong at the top with Alabama and Florida. But pre-Tebow and Saban the conference was nowhere near as strong as it is today.

The SEC deserves credit because it knows how to play the system. The stupid Pac 10 for example plays 9 conference games as opposed to the SEC's 8 which guarantees five more losses for conference teams. The SEC plays soft OOC schedules (just like the Big 12 has started doing) and one less conference game and it helps give it a competitive advantage.

It worked out great. They haven't named the divisions yet though the fan favorites are "Black Division" and "Blue Division" but they break down like this.

Div A:Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Mighigan State, North Western and Minnesota

Div B: OSU, PSU, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Purdue

They achieved their goal of maintaining competitive balance and they've kept most of the traditional rivalries intact, particularly OSU vs the mouth breathers from up north. Though that could mean on occasion they would play two games in a row for the conference championship but that probably won't happen often. Some of the old rivalries will be swept away but most of them will be kept.

The debacle I was referringto was having OSU & Michigan is different divisions. It was discussed to have Alabama and Auburn in different divisions. That meant we could potentially play two games in a row against the same opponent. Or kill an excellent rivalry.

Soc, you cannot talk to SEC fans about OOC scheduling. So all SEC teams play four non-conference games. Then norm is to play three cupcakes and (maybe) one good team. That way when everyone gets into conference 4-0 or 3-1 they can say 'look how great our conference is...'

Look at the number of Div II teams the SEC schedules. It's a joke. Florida almost never travels out of the state of Florida for an OOC game. Almost all SEC teams never leave the South.

The last few years the conference has obviously been very strong at the top with Alabama and Florida. But pre-Tebow and Saban the conference was nowhere near as strong as it is today.

The SEC deserves credit because it knows how to play the system. The stupid Pac 10 for example plays 9 conference games as opposed to the SEC's 8 which guarantees five more losses for conference teams. The SEC plays soft OOC schedules (just like the Big 12 has started doing) and one less conference game and it helps give it a competitive advantage.

Since the schedule strength discussion started with Boise St, calling SEC OOC play a joke is laughable in and of itself.

I only seriously watch Bama's schedule. But we play 6 teams that are ranked nationally. We have 4 OOC games. We play one traditional powerhouse team, one mediocre team, and two creampuffs. But the creampuffs get paid well for their effort. And since the creampuffs are scheduled several years in advance, who knows whether they will be on a roll when we get them.

To add a little more to this "you cannot talk to SEC fans about OOC scheduling", look at the schedules for the teams backed by those in this discussion.

By the current rankings:
Boise St plays one ranked team.
USC plays two ranked teams.
Ohio State plays four ranked teams.
Florida plays five ranked teams.
Lsu plays six ranked teams.
Bama plays six ranked teams.

When have your schedule is half nationally ranked teams, adding a creampuff or two in the mix saves your year and lets the younger players get playing time.

Since the schedule strength discussion started with Boise St, calling SEC OOC play a joke is laughable in and of itself.

I only seriously watch Bama's schedule. But we play 6 teams that are ranked nationally. We have 4 OOC games. We play one traditional powerhouse team, one mediocre team, and two creampuffs. But the creampuffs get paid well for their effort. And since the creampuffs are scheduled several years in advance, who knows whether they will be on a roll when we get them.

Leaving Boise St out of it I don't know how you defend the SEC OOC. One mediocre and two creampuffs is not a good schedule.

This year for instance you obviously have Penn St. San Jose St. (I'm familiar with them because they are local) has had 2 winning seasons in 17 years. They have a nice history with Bill Walsh but that was years ago. They stink.

Duke is at least in a BCS conference but everyone knows Duke sucks in football. They've had one winning season in 20 years. They are horrible.

Georgia State is a brand new team. They've never even played before.

San Jose St, Duke and Georgia State all rank as creampuffs. That is zero competition.

To add a little more to this "you cannot talk to SEC fans about OOC scheduling", look at the schedules for the teams backed by those in this discussion.

By the current rankings:

When have your schedule is half nationally ranked teams, adding a creampuff or two in the mix saves your year and lets the younger players get playing time.

You are going off of pre-season rankings (or week one rankings to be mroe accurate) which can be very subjective. Those numbers you gave can and will change during the season for how many ranked teams each school will play. We'll get a better idea as the season progresses about the toughness of schedule.

Leaving Boise St out of it I don't know how you defend the SEC OOC. One mediocre and two creampuffs is not a good schedule.

This year for instance you obviously have Penn St. San Jose St. (I'm familiar with them because they are local) has had 2 winning seasons in 17 years. They have a nice history with Bill Walsh but that was years ago. They stink.

Duke is at least in a BCS conference but everyone knows Duke sucks in football. They've had one winning season in 20 years. They are horrible.

Georgia State is a brand new team. They've never even played before.

San Jose St, Duke and Georgia State all rank as creampuffs. That is zero competition.

I defend it by pointing out our conference play includes FL, LSU, Auburn, South Carolina, and Arkansas. Those are 5 ranked teams that are quality opponents on anyone's schedule.

Show me someone in the PAC-10 who plays that many quality teams? Yes, the preseason rankings will change. But when push comes to shove, those are all still quality teams on anyone's schedule.

Seven teams we play went to a bowl game last year.

3 creampuffs out of 12 games, means that by your own standards we play 9 quality games.

This nonsense about our OOC games is only valid if you ignore the conference games we play. If we had 5 or 6 creampuffs in conference play, we might want to add some big name OOC games.

Last edited:
strength of schedule is why the little girls here from the panzy conferences choose out of conference to pin thier bullshit arguments on. The SEC plays ranked and near ranked teams weak in and week out. It's why we also not only win championships we kick the shit out of other conf in bowl games because they are way weaker top to bottom.

strength of schedule is why the little girls here from the panzy conferences choose out of conference to pin thier bullshit arguments on. The SEC plays ranked and near ranked teams weak in and week out. It's why we also not only win championships we kick the shit out of other conf in bowl games because they are way weaker top to bottom.

Vanderbilt, Kentucky and Miss St. = Awful

Ole Miss, South Carolina, Arkansas = They occassionally have good teams occassionally don't

Auburn = tends to be hit or miss as well. had some very strong teams in the middle of the last decade

Alabama & Florida = even those schools struggled at the start of the decade; obviously they are two of the most dominant schools in college football right now though it will be interesting to see how Florida progresses under Brantley going forward; most likely last week was a serious anamoly.

Georgia and LSU have been pretty good

So yes the SEC has been very strong the last four years winning the BCS Championship. But at the start of the decade the conference was nowhere near as strong as it is now and teams were still playing weak OOC schedules.

Ole Miss, South Carolina, Arkansas = They occassionally have good teams occassionally don't

Auburn = tends to be hit or miss as well. had some very strong teams in the middle of the last decade

Alabama & Florida = even those schools struggled at the start of the decade; obviously they are two of the most dominant schools in college football right now though it will be interesting to see how Florida progresses under Brantley going forward; most likely last week was a serious anamoly.

So yes the SEC has been very strong the last four years winning the BCS Championship. But at the start of the decade the conference was nowhere near as strong as it is now and teams were still playing weak OOC schedules.

Tell us all, which of USC's OOC games would you consider powerhouse teams?

Hawaii? They are the only one with a winning record over the last 3 years.

VA? They went 3-9 last year. And they are 17-20 for the last 3 years, and 29-32 for the last 5.

Minnesota? They went 6-7 last year. But that is the 2nd best record for USC's OOC opponents this year. Otherwise the Gophers are 14-24 for the last 3 years and 27-36 for the last 5.

Notre Dame always sounds like a tough game. But they actually haven't done much in a long, long time. They finished the 2009 season 6-6, have a 16-21 record for the last 3 years, and are 35-27 for the last 5 years.

So which OOC team is the tough one?

cawacko is wacko and is the worse homer around. USC got ass raped several times by weak ass Pac 10 high school teams last year. So I'm not shocked he's this pissy.
Cawacko how many crystals does the pac 10 have now that you cheaters were stripped of the only one you won. The SEC has 5, Auburn went 13 & 0 a couple years ago. put down the crack pipe. The SEC is way about no2 big 12, the big 10 is third and your lucky if you could beat the baskeball conference the ACC.
Oregon will fold as usuall, and luckily we don't have to watch Cal fold as they aren't ranked.

I spent a little time looking at wins and loses for the SEC & the PAC-10 for the last 5 years. (since scheduling is easily done inside that range and I don't have the time to track wins & losses for that many teams for 10 years)

The three teams you said sucked, Vandy, Kentucky, and Miss State have 5 year winning percentages of 38%, 52% and 38% repectively. Although, Ole Miss has a 5 year winning percentage of 46%, so lets use them as part of the bottom 3.

The three bottom teams in the PAC-10, Stanford, Washington St, and Washington have 5 year winning percentages of 39%, 30% and 27% respectively.

Bottom 3 in the SEC have 5 year win rates of 46%, 38%, and 38%.
Bottom 3 in the PAC-10 have 5 year win rates of 39%, 30% and 27%.
So the bottom 3 teams in the SEC have better 5 year records than the bottom 3 in the PAC-10.

South Carolina, Arkansas, and Auburn have 5 year winning percentages of 56%, 56%, and 67% respectively.

Six of the 10 teams in the PAC-10 cannot boast a 5 year win rate of 56% or better.

Which leaves us FL, LSU, AL, and GA. Their 5 year winning percentages are 85%, 77%, 74%, and 74% respectively.

The PAC-10 has only one team with a 5 year winning percentage of 74% or above, and that is USC.

Add in the fact that LSU, FL, and AL have won BCS Championships, and Auburn was snubbed for one, while the PAC-10 has only USC to offer up as a BCS Championship winner.

The debacle I was referringto was having OSU & Michigan is different divisions. It was discussed to have Alabama and Auburn in different divisions. That meant we could potentially play two games in a row against the same opponent. Or kill an excellent rivalry.
They did the best thing they could as it is important to keep competative balance. OSU and michigan will still play their traditional end of the season game. Instead of that match up determing who goes to the Rose Bowl it willl now determine who goes to the conference championship game. I'm good with that and the competative match ups in the two conferences is great. OSU/Mich, PSU/Nebraska, Wisc/Iowa, Illinois/Michigan St, so that worked out real well.

They did the best thing they could as it is important to keep competative balance. OSU and michigan will still play their traditional end of the season game. Instead of that match up determing who goes to the Rose Bowl it willl now determine who goes to the conference championship game. I'm good with that and the competative match ups in the two conferences is great. OSU/Mich, PSU/Nebraska, Wisc/Iowa, Illinois/Michigan St, so that worked out real well.

OMG!! YOu actually typed the name of that school up north!!

By the current rankings:

Let's change that a little. Instead of ranked teams let's go with top 20 teams.

Boise State plays 1
USC plays 2
Ohio State plays 4
Florida plays 3 (and I'm betting that by the end of the season Florida will not be a top 20 team).
LSU plays 3
Alabama plays 3

I'd also wager a bet that by the end of the season Michigan will be a top 20 team...so.... by the end of the season I bet it looks more like these teams will have played this # of top 20 teams

Boise St - None
USC - 1
Ohio State - 4
Florida - 2
LSU - 2
Bama - 2

This is a down year for the SEC. All the major programs but Bama are rebuilding. My bet is only one SEC Team will have less then 3 losses (Bama). That means there should only be 3 SEC teams in the top 20 at the end of the year. (I'll eat crow on that if PSU upsets Bama).

As for Ohio State I'm betting that Miami, Wisconsin and Iowa will be top 20 teams at the years end. I'm also thinking that PSU will drop out of the top 20 but that Michigan will end the season in the top 20.

Bama is the only SEC team that deserves props for not pussying out on non-conf play. LSWho did schedule a BCS team from a basketball conference so though that is a step up, it aint exactly impressed anyone outside of the SEC.

Last edited:
Back