APP - Ask me about social conservatism

Liturgical Committees are a complete farce. No wonder you left the Church, Rana - my dad nearly did, and the random chaotic effects of those was one of the reasons.

How incredibly ironic.

Once again you cannot answer, pretty consistent characteristic. The list is labeled 'social' but it touches on the separation, denies science, imposes religion, denies freedom for all, enters areas of law, grows government, and let me say it again is nothing more than meaningless slogans.

"Put differently, there are two equal but opposite errors into which Christians have fallen in the modern world. One error is to "privatize" faith, interpreting and applying it to the personal and spiritual realm only. That way faith loses its integrity and becomes "privately engaging and publicly irrelevant." ¶ The other error, represented by the Religious Left in the 1960s and the Religious Right since the late 1970s, is to "politicize" faith, using faith to express essentially political points that have lost touch with biblical truth. That way faith loses its independence, the church becomes "the regime at prayer," Christians become the "useful idiots" or "biddable foot soldiers" for one political party or another, and the Christian faith becomes an ideology in its purest form: Christian beliefs are used as weapons for political interests. In short, out of anxiety about a vanishing culture or in a foolish exchange for an illusory promise of power, Christians are cheated into bartering away their identity, motives, language, passions, and votes.

... Christians have already lost their independence when they attempt to find political solutions for problems that are essentially cultural and prepolitical — in other words, when they ask politics to do what politics cannot do.

When there has been a profound sea change in culture, as the United States has experienced since the 1960s, it is both foolish and futile to think that it can be reversed and restored by politics alone. That approach will always fail, and can only fail. Politics is downstream from the deep and important changes in American culture, and what lies upstream is mostly beyond the reach of political action. Thus overreaching political activism is bound not only to fail, but to leave the cultural changes more deeply entrenched than ever and those fighting them weaker than ever." Os Guinness 'The Case For Civility" http://www.amazon.com/Case-Civility-Why-Future-Depends/dp/B002XUM2GU/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8

Until society is truly civilized, the death penalty must remain as a deterrent to the truly uncivilized.

I assume you are chomping on the suicide pill at this very moment. Only UNCIVILISED people support the death penalty.

You actualy believe it is an effective deterrent, especialy to the truly uncivilized?

Yes I do.

SEPT. 1, 1995, marked the end of a long fight for justice in New York and the beginning of a new era in our state that promises safer communities, fewer victims of crime, and renewed personal freedom. For 22 consecutive years, my predecessors had ignored the urgent calls for justice from our citizens their repeated and pressing demands for the death penalty in New York State. Even after the legislature passed a reinstatement of the capital punishment law, it was vetoed for 18 years in a row. (Twelve of those vetoes came from the pen of former Gov. Mario Cuomo.)

That was wrong. To fight and deter crime effectively, individuals must have every tool government can afford them, including the death penalty. Upon taking office, I immediately began the process of reinstating the death penalty. Two months later, I signed the death penalty into law for the most heinous and ruthless killers in our society. ...

These new laws are working. Since I took office in 1995, violent crime has dropped 23, assaults are down 22, and murders have dropped by nearly one-third.

http://www.prodeathpenalty.com/articles/pataki.htm

Here are the murder rates in states that have the death penalty compared to those that do not have the death penalty. Overall when you compare the average murder rates from states with the death penalty vs those without, states that do not practice capital punishment have a 35% lower murder rate than states that do kill their citizens. These stats are from 2009 and come from the FBI Uniform Crime Reports.

MurderRateBarGraph.jpg

Sorry, owd son. Better things to do with my time. It is common knowledge and has been documented many times. If you think I am going to trawl back decades to find you all instances then you are sadly mistaken.
I seldom quote from the internet, even when I care. There are many other forms of record and communication. Would you ask me to 'cite' the fact that the sun is at the centre of the solar system or that belief in gods is the result of ignorance? Of course not.

Which is why I call it the anti-abortion rather than the pro-life movement.

The womb to the tomb....

This would make more sense if you were pro-life and anti-death penalty. IMO, both sides of this issue are flat wrong. Always err on the side of life. It is unforgivable to kill the innocent for any reason other than self-protection. Life is something that should be protected. There is no way to be 100% certain of guilt, people have been killed for false confessions and once taken out of society there is no longer the threat which would preclude killing for protection.

You didn't have an actual question, just a diatribe of expected comments.

Feel free to ask me a question about social conservatism. :)

Question format: How do you justify the contradictory nature of social conservatism as noted in my first post - in a sentence its anti personal freedom and anti rights platform which are contrary to our Constitution and way of life? And the growth of government interference in the lives of the citizens in order to enforce these tenets?

And how do justify or condone or accept (true for first post too) its anti constitution, anti law, anti science positions as noted in my second post: The list is labeled 'social' but it touches on the separation, denies science, imposes religion, denies freedom for all, enters areas of [established] law, grows government....?

This would make more sense if you were pro-life and anti-death penalty. IMO, both sides of this issue are flat wrong. Always err on the side of life. It is unforgivable to kill the innocent for any reason other than self-protection. Life is something that should be protected. There is no way to be 100% certain of guilt, people have been killed for false confessions and once taken out of society there is no longer the threat which would preclude killing for protection.

Seems like you are saying you are opposed to the death penalty. Didn't you thank Damn Yankee earlier for a link which defended his support of it?

Well Dammed Yankee, how do you respond to post #90 in this thread?

2. How do you justify the deaths of the falsely acused? I read your bullshit about only supporting those beyond a shadow of a doubt, but the innocence project proves that doesn't fly.

Seems like you are saying you are opposed to the death penalty. Didn't you thank Damn Yankee earlier for a link which defended his support of it?

LOL. I thanked a ton of posts. I was testing things.

I'm against killing people that are not a threat to you and yours. Which includes people in the womb.

...She says to a pro-lifer who opposes abortion and capital punishment...

DEFLECTION FAILED

And I wasn't talking about you in particular, was I! It was a general comment based on calling the movement "pro-life" when it really is just anti-abortion.

But while we're at it, re: your contention that "leftists want to coddle the murderers..."

shipment_of_fail1-300x225.jpg

Back