Atheists are so funny!

Ok, I'm going to cherry pick here - can anyone deny the word "gay" has changed meaning over time? and is anyone insisting it cannot mean "homosexual" because it used to mean "happy"?

So yes, words do change meanings. In the case of marriage, it's not changing; it's just the emphasis on "man woman" is changing to emphasize other parts of the definition. It still means two people joining together legally in an intimate or close union.

Ok, I'm going to cherry pick here - can anyone deny the word "gay" has changed meaning over time? and is anyone insisting it cannot mean "homosexual" because it used to mean "happy"?

So yes, words do change meanings. In the case of marriage, it's not changing; it's just the emphasis on "man woman" is changing to emphasize other parts of the definition. It still means two people joining together legally in an intimate or close union.

It didn't change meaning. It died, and was re-created.

It does appear that we need to legalize bigamy, now, because I'm tired of being lied to about marriage just meaning "two people." It will be my goal to lay the legal sense of the word to rest in a cemetary from now on.

Before the state got involved in marriage, Ie a form needed to make the union a recognized legal marriage by the state, it was a religious thing, still is, but the Government wants it's tax money

And you want your benefits from the gov't recognizing your marriage. There are around 1,400 benefits (fed, state & local) you get by being married. Reject those and we'll talk.

Actually, Adam and Lilith, but it's okay, most don't realize this little detail about their mythology.

You know, they do tend to want to forget about Lilith. Funny thing, she was cast out because she refused to be subservient to Adam. That old equality thing again.

based on sociology.....even atheists have only been marrying the opposite sex ever since this country started......

Until relatively recently, homosexuals were beaten, murdered or prosecuted for being who they are. It is little wonder they never pressed for the right to marry. They were still working on the right to be open about who they are without persecution.

It does appear that we need to legalize bigamy, now, because I'm tired of being lied to about marriage just meaning "two people." It will be my goal to lay the legal sense of the word to rest in a cemetary from now on.

Well, it used to "mean" those sort of relationships too.

why would my position be ridiculous.....I have merely pointed out than in reality, marriage being a relationship between a man and a woman is not a religious principle, its a societal principle.....just because you believe your position is "enlightened" doesn't actually carry any water.......we don't have to change the law to conform to your beliefs.....the law is based on what society believes.....

The basic fact is that gays and lesbians have been so harassed and oppressed throughout history, they knew better than to press for marriage. They would have been killed.

Back