Avengers

ok this might piss some people off, but the hunger games isn't some chick movie right? For whatever reason I keep hearing how a lot of girls liked it

A chick flick? Do you live in a cave? It's based on an incredible dystopian trilogy. A chick flick? The "hero" is a girl instead of a boy, though there is more than one hero. Let's say the trilogy's protaganist is a girl instead of a boy. Since the dawn of time women have been seeing films with male heros and have somehow, in their tiny little pea brains, been able to relate, empathize, and enjoy.

Can you do the same or is that too much for you?

I was blind-sided by Hunger Games. Most every other book-to-movie film that has come out, I was aware of well in advance. I've heard people talk about Girl With the Dragon Tattoo for some time. But I not only didn't see the advertising for Hunger Games until it had already hit theatres, but I had never once heard of the books.

I enjoyed the movie, though.

A chick flick? Do you live in a cave? It's based on an incredible dystopian trilogy. A chick flick? The "hero" is a girl instead of a boy, though there is more than one hero. Let's say the trilogy's protaganist is a girl instead of a boy. Since the dawn of time women have been seeing films with male heros and have somehow, in their tiny little pea brains, been able to relate, empathize, and enjoy.

Can you do the same or is that too much for you?

darla did you take your anti-mouthbreather pills today? I literally had/have zero clue what the story was about or who it involved.

I think the reason is, it was a book first, and more girls read than guys, so more girls knew about it. Also on imdb girls scored it basically 1 point higher than guys across the board.

But ok it's not a chick movie. I'll probably see it at some point

darla did you take your anti-mouthbreather pills today? I literally had/have zero clue what the story was about or who it involved.

I think the reason is, it was a book first, and more girls read than guys, so more girls knew about it. Also on imdb girls scored it basically 1 point higher than guys across the board.

But ok it's not a chick movie. I'll probably see it at some point

Do you really think more girls read than guys? Does this hold for men and women too? I've never seen any stats.

oh what do you know, I'm right:

On average across OECD countries, 46% of boys said they read only if they had to, compared with just 26% of girls.

l596j.jpg

http://www.oecdobserver.org/news/fullstory.php/aid/653/Girls_read_more_than_boys.html

Article from NPR on why women read more than men:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14175229

When it comes to fiction, the gender gap is at its widest. Men account for only 20 percent of the fiction market, according to surveys conducted in the U.S., Canada and Britain.

damn.

ok this might piss some people off, but the hunger games isn't some chick movie right? For whatever reason I keep hearing how a lot of girls liked it

It was a great movie. I also read the books. While women certainly seemed to be the driving force behind it initially, every guy I know that has seen it liked it as well.

Now I think you're just making stuff up to mess with me.

Nope... you want me to tell you how it all ends... I am a sucker for the little guy against big government oppression kind of stories. I won't spoil on the board for those that might want to read them (or for those that want to wait four years for the third movie to come out)

Nope... you want me to tell you how it all ends... I am a sucker for the little guy against big government oppression kind of stories. I won't spoil on the board for those that might want to read them (or for those that want to wait four years for the third movie to come out)

Really, I'd love to get your take on what seems to me to be the main and closing message of the trilogy - any civilization willing to kill children in their wars isn't one worth saving.

Really, I'd love to get your take on what seems to me to be the main and closing message of the trilogy - any civilization willing to kill children in their wars isn't one worth saving.

odd... I thought the closing message was - you tread upon the people, sooner or later you will get your ass kicked

I guess sometimes I can be sexist in my own way, your reading the Hunger Games books reminds me of how I tried to get my niece to read it. She saw the movie and was very uncomfortable with it. She told her mom she didn't like it, but I know her, and I said, is it that you didn't like it or is it that it made you angry because children die in it. ANd that's what really made her mad and why she didn't like it. I thought it would help a lot of she read the books. She is too busy on the damned texts and all that other stuff with her friends. So out of the other room, my little nephew says "I'm reading it aunt blah blah" I was shocked. And he is and he is very into them now. It never occurred to me to give them to him, but he already had them. Kinda sexist. I loved the fact that he's reading them and loves Katniss though. It's awesome.

odd... I thought the closing message was - you tread upon the people, sooner or later you will get your ass kicked

The author explicitly states outright through Katniss that a people who are willing to kill their children in wars are worthless. I mean, this is not subjective, it's not a guess. It's stated.

Kidding on the last one to a degree. I think the fact is that the books are obviously filled with material that this board would love.

1) Big Government control over their lives, their food supplies, where they go etc...
2) Big Government scared of the independents (in a certain sector that shall be named later)
3) Independents said fuck the sheep, everyone on their own
4) One gesture can spark a revolution
5) Use of children as human shields
6) Politicians should just be shot
etc...

Back