Barney Fife

Jack, are back on the crack?

No. I just like hearing Dark Soul spin his stories. Like, his above story with the brick columns. Maybe there was a steel support post encased in the brickwork, how would DS know by just casually waltzing by from a distance?
Also, DS failed to ascertain what the foundation was at the brick columns, his 6x6 treated posts may have been for not?

Is there a problem?

No. I just like hearing Dark Soul spin his stories. Like, his above story with the brick columns. Maybe there was a steel support post encased in the brickwork, how would DS know by just casually waltzing by from a distance?
Also, DS failed to ascertain what the foundation was at the brick columns, his 6x6 treated posts may have been for not?

Is there a problem?
With rare exception, contractors always take the approach of least effort. If you weren't pretending to have knowledge of the process you would know that.

Unless you cut each brick into an L-shape, there isn't any room to cover a steel post in an 8" nominal square. Then there is no cores left to key in the courses, so the thin veneer you would have left would be unstable. Since I have decades of experience I was able to make that finding the instant that I saw it, not having to wait until I was walking past it. My questions to the contractor that went unanswered merely served to confirm this to the inspector, to justify my condemning the job.

I have designed single wythe reinforced brick assemblies in the past. However in this case it would be completely impractical to put even the smallest sized rebar in the cores of the brick, since there isn't room for splices, you'd have to grout each cell in short increments, so you would have to set the entire bar in place then lift each brick over the top and thread it down to the next course. And you would need at least for bars, one at each corner.

The foundation for their piers was not why I was called out. If you like "hearing" the story so much, then you should re-read it as there is at least one point here that you misconstrued.

With rare exception, contractors always take the approach of least effort. If you weren't pretending to have knowledge of the process you would know that.

Unless you cut each brick into an L-shape, there isn't any room to cover a steel post in an 8" nominal square. Then there is no cores left to key in the courses, so the thin veneer you would have left would be unstable. Since I have decades of experience I was able to make that finding the instant that I saw it, not having to wait until I was walking past it. My questions to the contractor that went unanswered merely served to confirm this to the inspector, to justify my condemning the job.

I have designed single wythe reinforced brick assemblies in the past. However in this case it would be completely impractical to put even the smallest sized rebar in the cores of the brick, since there isn't room for splices, you'd have to grout each cell in short increments, so you would have to set the entire bar in place then lift each brick over the top and thread it down to the next course. And you would need at least for bars, one at each corner.

The foundation for their piers was not why I was called out. If you like "hearing" the story so much, then you should re-read it as there is at least one point here that you misconstrued.

1. You're a nobody. YOU don't walk on a job and 'condemn' it.
2. "Unless you cut each brick into an L-shape" ... YOU have NO IDEA what occurred. Unless YOU have X-Ray vision YOU have NO IDEA how it was constructed or what it's sitting on.
3. "The foundation for their piers was not why I was called out." Then YOUR recommendation of 6x6 treated columns may be TOTALLY useless.

Please, don't let me stop you from telling your tales, I find it fun poking holes in everything you say.

1. You're a nobody. YOU don't walk on a job and 'condemn' it.
2. "Unless you cut each brick into an L-shape" ... YOU have NO IDEA what occurred. Unless YOU have X-Ray vision YOU have NO IDEA how it was constructed or what it's sitting on.
3. "The foundation for their piers was not why I was called out." Then YOUR recommendation of 6x6 treated columns may be TOTALLY useless.

Please, don't let me stop you from telling your tales, I find it fun poking holes in everything you say.

Actually, as a licensed engineer I have complete authority to condemn a structure, or any part of it. In fact if I had failed to do that in this instance I could have been found liable, since there is no way that structure would not have collapsed. Again, if you weren't pretending to have knowledge of the process you would know that.

Your comments about the 6x6s are laughable, since that's not even what I recommended to replace the brick. If you had better reading comprehension you would know that.

Actually, as a licensed engineer I have complete authority to condemn a structure, or any part of it. In fact if I had failed to do that in this instance I could have been found liable, since there is no way that structure would not have collapsed. Again, if you weren't pretending to have knowledge of the process you would know that.

Your comments about the 6x6s are laughable, since that's not even what I recommended to replace the brick. If you had better reading comprehension you would know that.

I'm thoroughly convinced you're NOT an 'Engineer' (maybe a Train Engineer?).

See your boy, iewitness. He talked about Flex-duct and the web support. He mentioned 2" and 3", then said it was the staples that was the supporting factor. That told me he was actually in the business and had hands on experience.
YOU, on the other hand, when telling some story about a furred down dropped ceiling mentioned 24 gauge metal studs, 2' centers, and two fasteners each. And, that someone hung on it. Never did you mention how it was attached to the ceiling. Was it Ramset, was it Roto-hammered, what was the Fastener?

See the difference? iewitness easily discusses the important issues, YOU ... completely avoid them.

(8x8 treated posts, I went back and checked, my apologies. Still doesn't answer the question of foundation support)

I'm thoroughly convinced you're NOT an 'Engineer' (maybe a Train Engineer?).

See your boy, iewitness. He talked about Flex-duct and the web support. He mentioned 2" and 3", then said it was the staples that was the supporting factor. That told me he was actually in the business and had hands on experience.
YOU, on the other hand, when telling some story about a furred down dropped ceiling mentioned 24 gauge metal studs, 2' centers, and two fasteners each. And, that someone hung on it. Never did you mention how it was attached to the ceiling. Was it Ramset, was it Roto-hammered, what was the Fastener?

See the difference? iewitness easily discusses the important issues, YOU ... completely avoid them.

(8x8 treated posts, I went back and checked, my apologies. Still doesn't answer the question of foundation support)

LOL I didn't design the hanging cripple wall, the architect did. There's your reading comprehension issue again.

:attaboy2:

LOL I didn't design the hanging cripple wall, the architect did. There's your reading comprehension issue again.

:attaboy2:

You didn't design the 8"x 8" brick column either, the Architect did.

You're the one trying to pass yourself off as some 'Engineer'.

You didn't design the 8"x 8" brick column either, the Architect did.

You're the one trying to pass yourself off as some 'Engineer'.

There was no architect on the residential job; there rarely is. There doesn't have to be. Again, if you had any knowledge of the process you would have known that.

There was no architect on the residential job; there rarely is. There doesn't have to be. Again, if you had any knowledge of the process you would have known that.

To get a Building Permit, you have to submit your Plan to the local permitting agency (like the County Building Department). If something needs to be 'engineered', they catch it on the Drawings, NOT after it has been built.

Back