Barney Fife

I'm thoroughly convinced you're NOT an 'Engineer' (maybe a Train Engineer?).

See your boy, iewitness. He talked about Flex-duct and the web support. He mentioned 2" and 3", then said it was the staples that was the supporting factor. That told me he was actually in the business and had hands on experience.
YOU, on the other hand, when telling some story about a furred down dropped ceiling mentioned 24 gauge metal studs, 2' centers, and two fasteners each. And, that someone hung on it. Never did you mention how it was attached to the ceiling. Was it Ramset, was it Roto-hammered, what was the Fastener?

See the difference? iewitness easily discusses the important issues, YOU ... completely avoid them.

(8x8 treated posts, I went back and checked, my apologies. Still doesn't answer the question of foundation support)

I just went back and read (for the first time) his post about the addition supported by two 14' tall columns constructed of nothing more than two bricks per course in alternating directions.

You can tell it's bullshit right away because something like that wouldn't have supported itself, much less a cross beam and a 12' x 16' room addition.

Those columns would have collapsed before they even finished building them.

And as for his "years of experience" enabling him to recognize that the brick columns were not reinforced, anyone who's ever seen a brick before would know there couldn't be anything like a pole inside of it. OTOH, they could've ran rebar through the holes in the bricks and poured concrete in around it.

That wouldn't have been optimal, but it wouldn't have been the imminent disaster he made it out to be either.

To get a Building Permit, you have to submit your Plan to the local permitting agency (like the County Building Department). If something needs to be 'engineered', they catch it on the Drawings, NOT after it has been built.

They won't even look at your drawings or even accept your permit application if there isn't an engineer's seal on them.

They won't even look at your drawings or even accept your permit application if there isn't an engineer's seal on them.

Depends where you live. Rural areas are less restrictive, urban/suburban areas more so.

Let's look at it this way, Nomad. Let's say Dark Souls starts building houses, sells them to unsuspecting rubes like Havana, and after a year, Dark Soul skips town when all the homes begin to collapse. The Building department has to have a little control over that.

I'm pretty sure this house with the 8" brick columns is a Dark Soul and his 'Midnight Construction Company' offering. All these construction boondoggles are right out of the 'Dark Soul Bankruptcy Filings'. :(

To get a Building Permit, you have to submit your Plan to the local permitting agency (like the County Building Department). If something needs to be 'engineered', they catch it on the Drawings, NOT after it has been built.

LOL. Not for residential work, Jack. That's why there is a "Residential Code" (for one and two-family dwellings) and a separate "Building Code" (for all other buildings). Most jurisdictions only require a site plan (to verify compliance with zoning), basic floor plans and maybe exterior elevations. They never require structural plans, unless the home designer has done something not in conformance with span tables or other requirements. Then and only then is a licensed engineer or architect normally involved.

https://www.iccsafe.org/codes-tech-support/codes/2018-i-codes/irc/

The IRS is a "cook book" with "recipes" for constructing small buildings. As long as a contractor builds in accordance with these recipes he doesn't have to hire the services of an architect or an engineer. This reduces the cost of home ownership, making it affordable, even for you. ;)

If you had any experience in this instead of being just a poseur, you would have known that.

:creepysmile:

Looks like you fellow liberal schooled you, here:

:kipyes:

But how do you know there wasn't vertical rebar in it?

Everyone knows that bricks commonly have holes in them...

BRICK-PICTURES-22-150x150.jpg

...and given your description of the way the columns were built, two per course in 90° alternating orientation all the way up the column, it would be very possible to have four continuous lengths of rebar in each column, which would have, along with the mortar that would have been forced down into the holes around the rebar, greatly stiffened and strengthened them.

As I said earlier, without any reinforcement whatsoever, cloumns that thin and that high, likely would have swayed and collapsed on their own prior to even having any weight placed on them and possibly before they were even completed. Had the weight of a building extension been placed on them, they most certainly would have collapsed.

I think you were likely wrong in your assessment that they weren't reinforced.

LOL. Not for residential work, Jack. That's why there is a "Residential Code" (for one and two-family dwellings) and a separate "Building Code" (for all other buildings). Most jurisdictions only require a site plan (to verify compliance with zoning), basic floor plans and maybe exterior elevations. They never require structural plans, unless the home designer has done something not in conformance with span tables or other requirements. Then and only then is a licensed engineer or architect normally involved.

The IRS is a "cook book" with "recipes" for constructing small buildings. As long as a contractor builds in accordance with these recipes he doesn't have to hire the services of an architect or an engineer. This reduces the cost of home ownership, making it affordable, even for you. ;)

If you had any experience in this instead of being just a poseur, you would have known that.

I don't know what kind of third rate, chickenshit municipality or county you live in, but if you tried to even build a caport around here and applied for a permit without several sets of SEALED drawings, they'd kick you out of the permitting office by the seat of your pants.

If you built it anyway without a permit and got caught, you'd face daily fines and a lien on your property until you tore it down and then, if you wanted to rebuild it, went through the permitting process with, as I said, several sets of drawings signed and sealed by either a state licensed structural engineer or a state licensed architect.

That crap about the residential building code not requiring sealed drawings is total bullshit and just proved that YOU are in fact, the poser.

Busted.

So, the Developers in your area need NO PERMITS. Is that correct? I find THAT hard to believe. You're either fibbing or ... live in a VERY RURAL area.

DS: "Most jurisdictions only require a site plan (to verify compliance with zoning), basic floor plans and maybe exterior elevations."
Jack: hahahahahahaha ..... is that 'most jurisdictions' in the United States? ... or 'most jurisdictions' in Possum Hollow?

...and given your description of the way the columns were built, two per course in 90° alternating orientation all the way up the column, it would be very possible to have four continuous lengths of rebar in each column, which would have, along with the mortar that would have been forced down into the holes around the rebar, greatly stiffened and strengthened them.

As I said earlier, without any reinforcement whatsoever, cloumns that thin and that high, likely would have swayed and collapsed on their own prior to even having any weight placed on them and possibly before they were even completed. Had the weight of a building extension been placed on them, they most certainly would have collapsed.

This is a good example of why Dark Soul is no 'Engineer'. Without even asking about the brick columns, DS says he 'condemned' the job. This guy is a real Blowhard.

(I think you popped his cherry on this one, Nomad)

I don't know what kind of third rate, chickenshit municipality or county you live in, but if you tried to even build a caport around here and applied for a permit without several sets of SEALED drawings, they'd kick you out of the permitting office by the seat of your pants.

If you built it anyway without a permit and got caught, you'd face daily fines and a lien on your property until you tore it down and then, if you wanted to rebuild it, went through the permitting process with, as I said, several sets of drawings signed and sealed by either a state licensed structural engineer or a state licensed architect.

That crap about the residential building code not requiring sealed drawings is total bullshit and just proved that YOU are in fact, the poser.

Busted.

The Residential Building Code has nothing to do with the Permitting requirements of the Local Jurisdiction.

The Local Jurisdiction may have adopted the entire Code or just parts of it. (It's usually easier to just adopt the entire Code)
According to DS, no one needs a Permit. So, anyone can just go out and start building stuff without the Local Building Department being any the wiser. Then, if anyone asks, (according to DS) you just claim your building was built using the Residential Code Book.

Nomad: "Busted."
Jack: (sigh) Yes. Busted ... AGAIN!

The Residential Building Code has nothing to do with the Permitting requirements of the Local Jurisdiction.

The Local Jurisdiction may have adopted the entire Code or just parts of it. (It's usually easier to just adopt the entire Code)
According to DS, no one needs a Permit. So, anyone can just go out and start building stuff without the Local Building Department being any the wiser. Then, if anyone asks, (according to DS) you just claim your building was built using the Residential Code Book.

Nomad: "Busted."
Jack: (sigh) Yes. Busted ... AGAIN!

You're being an arsehole Jack, do stop!

Please, Havana. Nomad delivered a severe spanking to DS. I had to comment. (Don't be a cunt!)

Nonads is a major league cunt, do you want to be one by association? Dark Soul is a licensed engineer in North Carolina, you can take that to the bank!

Last edited:

Read post 66 again, then get back to me.

Busted.

Actually, it is you who are busted:

North Carolina
Exempts a family residence from architect stamping, up to eight units attached with grade level exit, which is not a part of or physically connected with any other buildings or residential units; in addition, an institutional or commercial building if the total building area does not exceed 2,500 square feet in gross floor area or a total value exceeding $90,000.
https://www.designevolutions.com/bl...-plans-to-be-stamped-by-a-licensed-architect/

Also, learn to spell. Its poseur, not poser.

Definition of poser
: a puzzling or baffling question

Definition of poseur
: a person who pretends to be what he or she is not : an affected or insincere person

m-w.com

:evilnod:

So, the Developers in your area need NO PERMITS. Is that correct? I find THAT hard to believe. You're either fibbing or ... live in a VERY RURAL area.

DS: "Most jurisdictions only require a site plan (to verify compliance with zoning), basic floor plans and maybe exterior elevations."
Jack: hahahahahahaha ..... is that 'most jurisdictions' in the United States? ... or 'most jurisdictions' in Possum Hollow?

There's your reading comprehension problem again. You don't need sealed drawings to get a permit, for most single and two-family residential construction.

:nono:

This is a good example of why Dark Soul is no 'Engineer'. Without even asking about the brick columns, DS says he 'condemned' the job. This guy is a real Blowhard.

(I think you popped his cherry on this one, Nomad)

Did you even read post 66, which was in direct response to you? Here are the applicable sections:

With rare exception, contractors always take the approach of least effort. ...

I have designed single wythe reinforced brick assemblies in the past. However in this case it would be completely impractical to put even the smallest sized rebar in the cores of the brick, since there isn't room for splices, you'd have to grout each cell in short increments, so you would have to set the entire bar in place then lift each brick over the top and thread it down to the next course. And you would need at least four [sp cor.] bars, one at each corner.

Back