Beckham

Yup, the US team looks better every WC, but to be up there with the European and South American national teams on a regular basis you need a strong and competitive national league like the English Premiership or the Italian La Liga...

Although if you look at how many trophies we've won in the last 40 years and compare that to America, our competitive league doesn't seem to have done us a whole lot of good.

Although if you look at how many trophies we've won in the last 40 years and compare that to America, our competitive league doesn't seem to have done us a whole lot of good.

Make it 42 years....

Yes Soccer is popular among the 20 something and under crowd.

Just what we needed, Another sport to distract from the real reason for school/education.

Make it 42 years....

Ok then.

Over the past 42 years Spain's record is similarly as unimpressive as America's.

Over the past 42 years Spain's record is similarly as unimpressive as America's.

Spain's domestic league wasn't too hot until the mid 70's, but yep they are Europe's big league bottlers....

Are you all bristling with excitement that he has blessed your nation with him and his bint arriving in your country? :)

I don't think people are all that excited. This isn't really a soccer nation. Probably most americans, outside of hardcore sports fans, have never heard of him.

Yes Soccer is popular among the 20 something and under crowd.

Just what we needed, Another sport to distract from the real reason for school/education.

If sports are considered a negative then why do communities fight so hard for funding the kids teams? You must not have played many sports because youth sports teach all kinds of life lessons; leadership, teamwork, sacrifice etc. that one might never learn sitting in a classroom. That's not to say youth sports are perfect but the idea that they take away from kids is far off base.

He or Posh seem to be on the front page of the Times every day. The turnout for his first press conference was incredible.

I think it's all hype to try to build up interest in the stupid, boring sport. I don't expect that to work, long term. We actually have real sports to watch over here.

I think it's all hype to try to build up interest in the stupid, boring sport. I don't expect that to work, long term. We actually have real sports to watch over here.

You would never catch me at one those games.

We actually have real sports to watch over here.

Such as rounders (probably the dullest sport in the world) and padded rugby (ahem)? ha ha ha

There is a reason only America plays these sports and the rest of the world play the beautiful game....

I just love "real" sports.

There's nothing more dandy than sports which have no appeal beyond your borders, involving annual competitions where a series of US cities play each other to be crowned 'World' champions.

If others actually 'play' the games it tends to take all the fun out of it, don't you find?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like real sports where fat lads crash into each other wearing pads, then have a five minute break, then do it again....

Any you must be in England. Soccor does not get over miniscule tv ratings in the us. Totally a fringe sport for small boys who don't develop properly

Any you must be in England. Soccor does not get over miniscule tv ratings in the us. Totally a fringe sport for small boys who don't develop properly

But outside the small pond of US sport, football is huge. Even the Australians and the Chinese have the bug, only the US prefers its own sports..

As for development, come off it, baseball is essentially rounders, a game played in back yards by little girls everywhere else in the world, and probably the most boring spectator sport on the planet.

Gridiron or whatever it is called, as I said, essentially fat lads who crash into each other wearing padding, have a break for five minutes, then do it again???

Back