California is insane...

so you are saying they should just give up on an industry that creates 47 billion dollars a year? give up on agriculture production that creates 13% of the total agriculture in this country and 99% of the agriculture that produces almonds, figs, olives, peaches, plums, pistachios and walnuts?

It's already pretty dead, dumbass. Ranches and farms have been abandoned as people try to get out of the SOTC and return to the States. It's pretty grim in the SOTC now.

Hello T. A. Gardner,

I just bought some new insulated screwdrivers and pliers.

1YUL6_AS01

They weren't cheap, and are some of the best you can buy. They're certified by OSHA, NFPA70E, CSA, UL, etc., but according to the state of California they can cause cancer and reproductive harm...

California is fucking retarded.

I assume the State of California has some science they are basing these warnings on.

I like California, not that I've spent too much time there over the years.

Still, the SF stores not having plastic bags does piss me off a little bit.

What's with that?

California environmental laws, along with ones like the ADA, and safety regulations, have bred an entire industry of what amounts to ambulance chasing lawyers looking for lawsuits on the basis of these laws. I read about one where a manufacturer of those air inflated bouncy things you get at your kid's birthday party or whatever got sued because there was trace amounts of lead in the material they were using.
They didn't make the material, just assembled the bouncy things. The material manufacturer couldn't be sued because they weren't in California. Didn't matter to the state or courts. They still held the bouncy thing manufacturer responsible. That bankrupted the company...
Of course, there was ZERO health or safety issues with the material or product over the few parts per billion lead in the material.

I found little stickers on the metal gutter I hung on the house last year saying California says it can cause cancer... I think Shakespeare was right, we do need to kill all the lawyers...

You might be right. I see that stupid sticker on:

* coffee mugs
* solder
* tires
* furnaces
* doors
* fresh water plumbing products, such as PEX tubing
* paper
* fertilizer such as urea nitrate
* concrete barricades
* fire extinguishers
* sun screen
* gasoline
* matches
* rubbing alcohol

I like California, not that I've spent too much time there over the years.

Still, the SF stores not having plastic bags does piss me off a little bit.

What's with that?

They cause cancer and kill birds way the hell out at sea, so the story goes.
I guess they figure a landfill is way the hell out at sea!

1YUL6_AS01

They weren't cheap, and are some of the best you can buy. They're certified by OSHA, NFPA70E, CSA, UL, etc., but according to the state of California they can cause cancer and reproductive harm...

stay away

Porsche did most of that. Mercedes added their bit (some important bits, actually). There are some stupid elements in the design of BMW and Mercedes today, though; such as mounting the battery mid vehicle and making a long run to the starter motor and charging system.

I don't think it makes a difference where the battery is located as long s you design the cabling for the application.

I had a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which was a Mercedes chassis, and the battery was under the passenger seat. It keeps it protected. To get at it run the seat all the way forward and as high as it will go, then get at it from the rear seat area. The only issue that if the battery is dead you have to power the car through the jumper points, which are conveniently located under the hood. That was a great car and I put 174k miles on it before I traded it in for my 18 Macan.

The battery for the Macan is in the rear under the spare tire. The power panel is right next to it and very accessible. Everything about that car is easy and made to be fixed.

My 81 Corvette has the battery behind the driver's seat. Chevy didn't put a vent on it like on a new car so I did it myself. The cable runs through the console and then through the firewall and to the starter. Not a long cable.

I had a 97 Jag XJ6 and the battery was in the trunk. That electrical system was set up like a commercial building with the main panel next to the battery, two auxiliary panels under the rear seats, two more under the hood. Each had a relay to trigger the key-on circuits.

My wife's 11 BMW 328 has it in the trunk. Not the easiest thing to change. The power panel is stupid- buried way behind the glove compartment.

My 74 Fiat Spider has the battery in the trunk. Stupid long cable but it's a big fat #2 with excellent insulation. Aside from that though the dumbest electrical system that I've ever worked on because of the archaic fuse panel that was added onto over many years without upgrade, and I'm currently replacing the entire harness with a generic one.

I don't think it makes a difference where the battery is located as long s you design the cabling for the application.
It makes a tremendous difference.

The longer the cable, the less voltage available at the starter motor, and the lousier the charging system.

Wires are not zero ohms. They have a resistance. Small as it is, when large currents are involved (as in starter circuits or charging circuits) it makes a big difference.

Batteries are protected in the engine compartment too. It's actually the best place for them.

Hello T. A. Gardner,

I assume the State of California has some science they are basing these warnings on.

I assume the State of California determined:

1. These tools were made in Germany
2. Germans were once Nazis
3. Nazis were "Radical Right Wingers"
4. That makes them domestic terrorists
5. But calling a bunch of tools domestic terrorists is insane
6. So, they declared they caused cancer.

:awesome:

I had a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which was a Mercedes chassis, and the battery was under the passenger seat. It keeps it protected. To get at it run the seat all the way forward and as high as it will go, then get at it from the rear seat area. The only issue that if the battery is dead you have to power the car through the jumper points, which are conveniently located under the hood. That was a great car and I put 174k miles on it before I traded it in for my 18 Macan.

The battery for the Macan is in the rear under the spare tire. The power panel is right next to it and very accessible. Everything about that car is easy and made to be fixed.

My 81 Corvette has the battery behind the driver's seat. Chevy didn't put a vent on it like on a new car so I did it myself. The cable runs through the console and then through the firewall and to the starter. Not a long cable.

I had a 97 Jag XJ6 and the battery was in the trunk. That electrical system was set up like a commercial building with the main panel next to the battery, two auxiliary panels under the rear seats, two more under the hood. Each had a relay to trigger the key-on circuits.

My wife's 11 BMW 328 has it in the trunk. Not the easiest thing to change. The power panel is stupid- buried way behind the glove compartment.

My 74 Fiat Spider has the battery in the trunk. Stupid long cable but it's a big fat #2 with excellent insulation. Aside from that though the dumbest electrical system that I've ever worked on because of the archaic fuse panel that was added onto over many years without upgrade, and I'm currently replacing the entire harness with a generic one.

Try changing the battery in a BMW sometime...

First, open the trunk.
Then disassemble the entirety of the interior of the trunk removing everything.
The battery is then accessible behind the rear seat.
This was done to improve handling slightly by distributing the weight of the battery to the center of the vehicle.
Once you have the new battery in place, use the factory installed radio to put in your car's security code to allow it to reset and run...

Old British cars are the worst for electrical systems. Most have four 50A fuses that protect nothing. The electrics were made by Lucas Electric, aka, The Prince of Darkness...

1YUL6_AS01

Higher tolerance standards than Republican's normal Vegas rules standards.

While it's true the manufactured tools might caught cancer in one in a million people, or whatever it is, I agree it's unreasonably cautionary.

I assume the State of California determined:

1. These tools were made in Germany
2. Germans were once Nazis
3. Nazis were "Radical Right Wingers"
4. That makes them domestic terrorists
5. But calling a bunch of tools domestic terrorists is insane
6. So, they declared they caused cancer.

:awesome:

You're assuming wrong. It's the materials themselves the studies on cancer or other illness odds.

Do you have a copy of the warning?

Not collecting water dumbfuck.

can't collect water during a drought, dumbfuck.

According to the latest Drought Monitor analysis as of May 25, not only is the entire state of California in drought, but 26% of the state is in "exceptional drought", the highest category. The last exceptional drought in California was January, 2017, on the tail end of a multi-year drought.May 28, 2021
https://weather.com/news/climate/news/2021-05-28-california-drought-facts
These Eight Facts Show the Seriousness of California's Drought

Drought History & Facts | Thousand Oaks, CAhttps://www.toaks.org › sustainability › water › drought...
California has been experiencing one of its most severe droughts in over a century · There are several instances of extended droughts in California's history.

can't collect water during a drought, dumbfuck.

According to the latest Drought Monitor analysis as of May 25, not only is the entire state of California in drought, but 26% of the state is in "exceptional drought", the highest category. The last exceptional drought in California was January, 2017, on the tail end of a multi-year drought.May 28, 2021
https://weather.com/news/climate/news/2021-05-28-california-drought-facts
These Eight Facts Show the Seriousness of California's Drought

Drought History & Facts | Thousand Oaks, CAhttps://www.toaks.org › sustainability › water › drought...
California has been experiencing one of its most severe droughts in over a century · There are several instances of extended droughts in California's history.

Yes you can. There's certainly enough water to grow all that brush every spring that later burns.

Back