Dinner last night.

Steak and buttermilk marinated chicken breast cooked over Kingsford flavors charcoal.
Mexican corn

Rhodes white bread dough chopped and coated with dried mince onion, garlic powder and chili powder
Puree of sweet potato
Red beans and rice
selection of deserts from Macrina Bakery Seattle
A very good red wine

The bolded comments above are all great in my opinion, Hawk.

The chopped Rhodes bread is a non-starter for me. Italian or French loaves are a must for a decent meal in my house.

Mashed sweet potatoes I love. Pureed seems a bit off-putting, although I must acknowledge that I have never tried that.

Red beans and rice is what the ancients used to call "nectar of the Gods."

The chopped Rhodes bread is a non-starter for me. Italian or French loaves are a must for a decent meal in my house.

Mashed sweet potatoes I love. Pureed seems a bit off-putting, although I must acknowledge that I have never tried that.

How do you feel about cooking up proteins and then using them for days? It is just the two of us now, and we eat a lot less than we used to, and I am pretty much done with restaurants they have gotten so bad here.....I like this. Today we went with steak, chicken, mashed, the bread and green beans. Tomorrow we will use the chicken or steak on a garden salad. We might even go into day four.

2 choice t-bones from Kroger
1 prime strip from my butcher/meat market
2 large frozen chicken breast from Costco.

The longest I have carried a protein is five days, by then I am bored...when I do a big ham or a turkey I always freeze some on the second day, as we cant eat that much. I have a leg and a thigh in the freezer from the Thanksgiving turkey.

Oh.....you will like this story.....for bread and butter in my house growing up what we had was store brand (cheap) Wonder Bread knock off and Chiffon Margarine. I called in Marshmallow Bread and thought that the only thing it was great for was PB&J. I lobbied for better. For years. I got no where.

Steak and buttermilk marinated chicken breast cooked over Kingsford flavors charcoal.
Mexican corn
Rhodes white bread dough chopped and coated with dried mince onion, garlic powder and chili powder
Puree of sweet potato
Red beans and rice
selection of deserts from Macrina Bakery Seattle
A very good red wine
Wonderful....I bet it was all delicious! (and I think Frank would enjoy the Rhodes creation...I also love excellent bread, and I'm picky...but there's just something special about Rhodes...I look for it every time I shop...;)

How do you feel about cooking up proteins and then using them for days?.

Very few things I like as leftovers or frozen away. Not good, because it is just my wife and I...and you know how difficult cooking a meal can be for just two.

Turkey I love for days after Thanksgiving...and sometimes I make croquets when there is a lot left over. My wife especially enjoys the croquets. If I roast a chicken (did early this week with a great potatoes, mushrooms, carrots side dish)...I enjoy the leftovers. Pasta sauces are fine days afterwards, and I usually make my sauce with pork neckbones which is a protein. Leftover steak I will make into a Philly cheesesteak.

How do you feel about cooking up proteins and then using them for days? It is just the two of us now, and we eat a lot less than we used to, and I am pretty much done with restaurants they have gotten so bad here.....I like this. Today we went with steak, chicken, mashed, the bread and green beans. Tomorrow we will use the chicken or steak on a garden salad. We might even go into day four.

2 choice t-bones from Kroger
1 prime strip from my butcher/meat market
2 large frozen chicken breast from Costco.

The longest I have carried a protein is five days, by then I am bored...when I do a big ham or a turkey I always freeze some on the second day, as we cant eat that much. I have a leg and a thigh in the freezer from the Thanksgiving turkey.
Learn how to curry meat. Chicken, beef, pork and lamb all make good curry.

New England boiled dinner.

Corned beef, turnip, potato, carrots and an onion all boiled together.

Serve with good mustard and dill pickles.

Very few things I like as leftovers or frozen away. Not good, because it is just my wife and I...and you know how difficult cooking a meal can be for just two.

Turkey I love for days after Thanksgiving...and sometimes I make croquets when there is a lot left over. My wife especially enjoys the croquets. If I roast a chicken (did early this week with a great potatoes, mushrooms, carrots side dish)...I enjoy the leftovers. Pasta sauces are fine days afterwards, and I usually make my sauce with pork neckbones which is a protein. Leftover steak I will make into a Philly cheesesteak.

I find it demoralizing to spend so much time making meals and more importantly cleaning up when all that is accomplished is making two small plates of food. My wife has crohn's (likely burn pits in Iraq caused) and I eat at best 1/3 of what I used to (I spent much of this life as a fatty).....we simply dont eat much. Its even worse than that.....while I am currently off the sauce and on emergency clean living to clean up my A1C score (mostly) my wife and I both drink a lot, if we did not watch what we eat we would both balloon up. This is where cooking proteins and then either eating them as leftovers or reimagining them comes in very handy. I am very good at reimagining.

I should mention that for years my wife has been pushing me to write a leftover cookbook. She says that in talking with people at work she has found that a stunning number of people dont know how to use leftovers, so they often (well, before food costs went up so much anyways) throw them away. She says that a good book teaching how to use leftovers would sell very well.

I cant be bothered, cooking is an artform for me, it is pleasure too....I am not willing to turn it into work.

Tonight the most awesome garden salad + Chacoaled marinated chicken breast + cheddar + blue.

Salad dressing homemade ranch.

With ched inside Crescent.

Diet sweet tea.

Homemade.

In 20:

Steak Sand (leftover Kroger choice t-bone...5/10) and onion rings which are served with my kick ass homemade ranch.

REPRINTED FROM ANOTHER THREAD

Yesterday, I had to take the avatar for her allergy shot.

On the way home from the vet, I stopped at this little mom and pop Chinese take out place because I didn't feel like cooking when I got home.
The place had closed during the height of the covid pandemic, but has apparently re-opened under new management.

The food from these places is usually mall-food-court-quality, but this food wasn't bad at all. But that's not the issue.

The little girl who took my order had to still be high school age.
Thus, one hundred years in purgatory for my internal reaction to her.

Then her mom came from the back with my food.
Add another hundred years to my sentence.

What is it with me and pretty Asian ladies?

Learn how to curry meat. Chicken, beef, pork and lamb all make good curry.

The family likes it when I make Japanese Golden Curry (a Japanese redux curry that looks like a Hershey bar but knows its gender). The flavor is similar to madras curry but not quite the same.

s-l400.jpg

They like the mild version, I like the spicy one.

Back