Dinosaurs From Space!

Agreed with the "perfect storm of conditions". Based upon the results, everything needs to be perfect and, even then, life may not arise.

I'd say within 50 years we should be able to thoroughly test the hypothesis that biology is inevitable in the presence of liquid water. If we don't find microbial life, or fossil evidence for it, on Mars, Europa, Ganymede, Enceladus we probably need to rethink our assumptions for how ubiquitous life is in the galaxy.

On the other hand, if microbial life can exist on Europa, it would be a confirmation of just how tenacious life is.

I would say, it depends...

Life on some planet will adapt to the conditions of that planet. Temperatures, gravity, surface conditions like how much water, land, etc., there is, and a plethora of other things would determine that. On a planet similar to Earth, it's likely life similar to Earth evolves. That doesn't mean a close match, but the big concepts like size, biological processes, layout, would be similar. On a planet very different from Earth life would also be very different in many respects. However, at its simplest, one-cell lifeforms and such, it's likely similar virtually everywhere it exists.

There are lifeforms, even on Earth, that can survive in space. Tardigrades on Earth can survive just about anything including being in space for extended periods.

That is assuming all life evolves similarly.

It may not.

We are no where near the understanding to determine that all life essentially evolves as our life does on this planet.

There may be life forms out there that have noting whatsoever in relation to how we evolved.

That is assuming all life evolves similarly.

It may not.

We are no where near the understanding to determine that all life essentially evolves as our life does on this planet.

There may be life forms out there that have noting whatsoever in relation to how we evolved.

The basic chemical processes are the same. There are only limited variants. There is fairly good evidence that alternatives to carbon are extremely unlikely to work. So, while there are postulated alternatives to carbon based life, it's extremely unlikely any of those actually produce life.

For example, silicon is often postulated. But silicon has an affinity for oxygen and forms an oxide readily. That bonded pair is extremely strong and stable making silicon not reactive or able to attach to other elements and molecules. You'd need a near oxygen free environment for silicon to be free in nature to bond to other elements.

Nitrogen, likewise bonds into N2 as a very strong and stable molecule. Cracking that bond is difficult to do. Again, you'd need conditions where N2 couldn't form to have free nitrogen to become other molecules. This would involve, most likely, very cold environments and that lack of energy in the environment would make any evolution of life extremely slow and difficult.

So, again, while life can evolve differently to conditions, the basic building blocks are likely to remain the same. That means at its simplest, life is likely to be similar to what's on Earth. It's only as complexity is added that it varies to the local conditions it encounters.

The basic chemical processes are the same. There are only limited variants. There is fairly good evidence that alternatives to carbon are extremely unlikely to work. So, while there are postulated alternatives to carbon based life, it's extremely unlikely any of those actually produce life.

For example, silicon is often postulated. But silicon has an affinity for oxygen and forms an oxide readily. That bonded pair is extremely strong and stable making silicon not reactive or able to attach to other elements and molecules. You'd need a near oxygen free environment for silicon to be free in nature to bond to other elements.

Nitrogen, likewise bonds into N2 as a very strong and stable molecule. Cracking that bond is difficult to do. Again, you'd need conditions where N2 couldn't form to have free nitrogen to become other molecules. This would involve, most likely, very cold environments and that lack of energy in the environment would make any evolution of life extremely slow and difficult.

So, again, while life can evolve differently to conditions, the basic building blocks are likely to remain the same. That means at its simplest, life is likely to be similar to what's on Earth. It's only as complexity is added that it varies to the local conditions it encounters.

We also thought the sun revolved around the Earth at one point.

False analogy. We have an excellent understanding of chemistry and how elements interact today. The Periodic Table and the rules of chemistry apply equally to the universe. Those rules aren't going to magically change just because the venue changes.

Well, they say ignorance is bliss....

download.png

I guess you're just too ignorant to realize how ignorant you are.

Good for you!!! :good4u:
They do, and it's often true until the person is dead out of ignorance...but at least they died happy. :thup:

Another often true saying is "pride goeth before the fall". IMO, blind arrogance is close to ignorance in terms of results, but as note above, the ignorant die happier. :)

I'm working on my own ignorance. The black holes in my experience and education. Most of it is dealing with ignorant, arrogant people to see if they are just stupid or a victim of a mental illness. Like physics across our own Universe*, similar results don't alway mean similar causes.

Example; in terms of results, throwing Vladimir Putin out of a 10th story hospital window is equal to him jumping off without assistance. In terms of understanding human beings and their behavior, it does matter. Most people won't care as long as the results fit their needs, but I'm curious about the differences.

*Hint: not the one with Unicorns but we do have Rainbows. Just no ends to the latter. The Leprechaun Universe probably has gold at the ends.

Agreed. We also thought the Earth was Flat and Masks don't Work. Ignorant, stupid and/or mentally ill people often think ignorant or irrational things. As nature goes, the stupid will kill themselves off. This is why I'm against helmet and seatbelt laws except for minors.

It's also why I support assisted suicide to include severely injured patients who don't want to live. For insurance, people would get cheaper rates for complying with common sense requirements like seatbelts and helmets with a suicide clause at a prechosen debt limit for insurance if they are injured in violation of the agreement. This will help resolve others having to pay the medical bills of idiots and the mentally ill. It would save on climate change too. :thup:

Organic chemistry and specifically biological chemistry does make extensive use of Nitrogen. It's a big part of our DNA, RNA and proteins.

Planets can be floating free of a star. They form around stars but can knocked free. Free floating in the interstellar void would be a bit chilly for dinosaurs.

You're partially correct. This usually happens when a star implodes, but a planet’s atmosphere wouldn't survive this. And if an orphaned planet does generate its own heat (as certain moons in our solar system are speculated to via geological activity), a lack of atmosphere means that this heat is lost to space.

Sorry to disappoint, but there are no dinosaurs living on orphaned planets.

You're partially correct. This usually happens when a star implodes, but a planet’s atmosphere wouldn't survive this. And if an orphaned planet does generate its own heat (as certain moons in our solar system are speculated to via geological activity), a lack of atmosphere means that this heat is lost to space.

Sorry to disappoint, but there are no dinosaurs living on orphaned planets.
Close but not quite.

Yes, a nova would smoke a planet both by heat and radiation. A nova within 25 light years of Earth will kill everything in our planet with gamma radiation. Another way to knock a planet free is a passing star or other large body that disrupts planetary orbits. Regardless, if the atmosphere of a planet is blasted off or simply frozen, the dinosaurs wouldn't survive it.

If you'd understood my post, you would have seen I said that. LOL

Close but not quite.

Yes, a nova would smoke a planet both by heat and radiation. A nova within 25 light years of Earth will kill everything in our planet with gamma radiation. Another way to knock a planet free is a passing star or other large body that disrupts planetary orbits. Regardless, if the atmosphere of a planet is blasted off or simply frozen, the dinosaurs wouldn't survive it.

If you'd understood my post, you would have seen I said that. LOL

You are forgetting the power of animals to evolve.

Perhaps they could evolve to survive on radiation and heat.

Animals on our planet have evolved to pretty much every condition the Earth has presented to them.

There are actually birds that have evolved to live in a volcano.

You are forgetting the power of animals to evolve.

Perhaps they could evolve to survive on radiation and heat.

Animals on our planet have evolved to pretty much every condition the Earth has presented to them.

There are actually birds that have evolved to live in a volcano.

I'm truly surprised you accept evolution, Tink. Kudos! :thup:

The birds are about to die out. Evolution can be a beotch. LOL

https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...-increasingly-tough-for-these-hawaiian-birds/
That's because these beautiful yellow-headed birds live in just one place on Earth: the upper slopes of the dormant Mauna Kea volcano on the island of Hawaii.

A century ago Palila habitat included most of the volcano as well as large areas of the western half of the island but today they live in just 5 percent of that range. Their decline is linked to that of another species, the māmane tree (Sophora chrysophylla), the immature seeds of which make up the bulk of the palila's diet. The palila is the only species that can eat māmane, which pack a potent poison that kills just about anything else.

The trees are vulnerable to feral goats and sheep, which overran the Hawaiian islands centuries ago. They long since ate all of the māmane at elevations lower than 2,400 meters above sea level. Efforts to control these invasive ungulates have helped over the years but both the trees and the birds still have a long way to go before they can even approach recovery.

I'm truly surprised you accept evolution, Tink. Kudos! :thup:

The birds are about to die out. Evolution can be a beotch. LOL

https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...-increasingly-tough-for-these-hawaiian-birds/

Why wouldn't I?

It's the method God used to create humans.

He told us he created Adam from dust meaning Adam came from the planet, then He created Eve from one of Adam's ribs meaning the splitting of cells into another life form.

Science never contradicts the Bible, it helps us understand it better.

Why wouldn't I?

It's the method God used to create humans.

He told us he created Adam from dust meaning Adam came from the planet, then He created Eve from one of Adam's ribs meaning the splitting of cells into another life form.

Science never contradicts the Bible, it helps us understand it better.

Most Trumpers are anti-science.

Back