Does Winterborn = Solitary?

I ignore you routinely in all other threads, remember.

Wanna reconsider that bet? :)

I am quite certain you do. If I had made as big a fool of myself as you did in that thread, I would want it to go away too.

But alas, its still there and now newer than ever.

It's kinda funny to watch SM embarrass himself about guns and imaginary friends.....

But no, I don't really care.

It's kinda funny to watch SM embarrass himself about guns and imaginary friends.....

But no, I don't really care.
I will bet you that Remington sold me that rifle directly from the factory and I picked it from their world headquarters in a VIP sale. $100 via paypal, Damo to hold the money.

My evidence will be the packing list for the shipment with my name on it and the executive who made the transfer. Damo will be the sole judge and you will only see a redacted version of the paper which will clearly indicate "VIP SALES".

:)

Since you are going to pretend you didn't see it, lets repost it here.

You tried to use the diagram of the 7.62x54r to prove what the .308 was not.

Here is a link to show you are wrong about the .308 Win. round.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/definitive...ce_caliber.htm

"Calibre is described as being "bore" diameter (inside bore diameter, ID), which is gauged across the lands of the rifling in the bore of a weapon. The diameter of the projectile is usually equal to the "groove" diameter of the bore, measured across the depth of the groves in the bore (outside bore diameter, OD), or in some cases is slightly bigger than the OD of the bore."

"Some common examples of this differentiation in calibre are the .308 Winchester and the .243 Winchester. The .308 Winchester is in reality a standard .30 calibre cartridge. .308 rifles have a bore diameter of .300" and a groove/bullet diameter of .308". (Both dimensions are identical to the earlier .30-06 and .300 Magnum.)

Lets look at that quote again, or at least a small part "...and a groove/bullet diameter of .308"

Last edited:
Since you are going to pretend you didn't see it, lets repost it here.

You tried to use the diagram of the 7.62x54r to prove what the .308 was not.

Here is a link to show you are wrong about the .308 Win. round.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/definitive...ce_caliber.htm

"Calibre is described as being "bore" diameter (inside bore diameter, ID), which is gauged across the lands of the rifling in the bore of a weapon. The diameter of the projectile is usually equal to the "groove" diameter of the bore, measured across the depth of the groves in the bore (outside bore diameter, OD), or in some cases is slightly bigger than the OD of the bore."

"Some common examples of this differentiation in calibre are the .308 Winchester and the .243 Winchester. The .308 Winchester is in reality a standard .30 calibre cartridge. .308 rifles have a bore diameter of .300" and a groove/bullet diameter of .308". (Both dimensions are identical to the earlier .30-06 and .300 Magnum.)

Lets look at that quote again, or at least a small part "...and a groove/bullet diameter of .308"
Yeah, as a point of order, the Russian 7.62x54R slugs at .310 or .311 instead of the traditional .308. It also applies to their 7.62x39 cartridge.

Yeah, as a point of order, the Russian 7.62x54R slugs at .310 or .311 instead of the traditional .308. It also applies to their 7.62x39 cartridge.

The round was invented in the late 1800s, when manufacturing tolerances were not as tight.

But my statements about the .308 Win are true as can be.

Last edited:
The round was invented in the late 1800s, when manufacturing tolerances were not as tight.

But my statements about the .308 Win are true as can be.
Yes, they are, but the 54R is still .311 to this day. Can't explain why the Russians do that though.

Yes, they are, but the 54R is still .311 to this day. Can't explain why the Russians do that though.

Naming of cartridges is an odd game. Some use accurate dimensions, and some just get close. The .44 magnum is actually a .43 caliber. The older ones like the 45-70 Gov't use diameter and weight of the black powder charge. There was even a Savage round that used a bit of bragging abut the speed in the name of the round. I wonder why the old 250-3000 never caught on? lol

Last edited:
Naming of cartridges is an odd game. Some use accurate dimensions, and some just get close. The .44 magnum is actually a .43 caliber. The older ones like the 45-70 Gov't use diameter and weight of the black powder charge. There was even a Savage round that used a bit of bragging abut the speed in the name of the round. I wonder why the old 250-3000 never caught on? lol
The 250 Savage did catch on. It holds the same niche as the 10mm auto in handguns and 16ga in shotguns.

Yeah cartridge naming is weird. What's REALLY weird about the Russians though is they didn't even use the metric system when they designed and named the 54R. They used their own imperial system with units of measure such as the line (1/10 of an inch) and the arshin (28 inches, their equivalent of the yard or meter).

The 250 Savage did catch on. It holds the same niche as the 10mm auto in handguns and 16ga in shotguns.

Yeah cartridge naming is weird. What's REALLY weird about the Russians though is they didn't even use the metric system when they designed and named the 54R. They used their own imperial system with units of measure such as the line (1/10 of an inch) and the arshin (28 inches, their equivalent of the yard or meter).

I saw an old Savage model 99 in a gun shop last weekend. They wanted almost $1k for it. I'm not paying that much, but it was a cool old rifle. It was chambered in 250 Savage. Neat lever action.

I had a .303 British that was a good cheap deer rifle back in the day. Heavy as hell since I didn't "sporterize" it. Shot good.

I saw an old Savage model 99 in a gun shop last weekend. They wanted almost $1k for it. I'm not paying that much, but it was a cool old rifle. It was chambered in 250 Savage. Neat lever action.

I had a .303 British that was a good cheap deer rifle back in the day. Heavy as hell since I didn't "sporterize" it. Shot good.
The Savage 99 in 250 Savage is the rarest model, and was the first model to be chambered as such. Because of the significance of the cartridge (the first to go 3000 FPS) and rarity of the rifle, it commands that price in the market. I'd do it for sure.

As for the 303, I have an Enfield myself. Thing is crazy fast for a bolt gun.

The Savage 99 in 250 Savage is the rarest model, and was the first model to be chambered as such. Because of the significance of the cartridge (the first to go 3000 FPS) and rarity of the rifle, it commands that price in the market. I'd do it for sure.

I'll have to stop in again and look at it. If its the .250 I might have to work something out. I didn't think of how rare the 99 in .250 Savage was. And a round that does 3,000 fps is good by todays standards. In the 30's & 40's it was a rocket fired from a handy sized lever gun.

The hammerless feature makes shooting it accurately easier too.

The aperture sights on the .303 British were excellent too. You can get on target and track a moving deer with ease. And the bullet is heavy enough to lay'em down.

But I am going to be buying my two rifles for deer hunting soon. I decided to quit trying to compromise between brush and open field rifles. So before Nov 20th, I am buying a Marlin 1895SS Guide Gun in 45-70Govt, and a Remington ATR in .308 Win. Cabela's makes a lever action scope with built in tragectory lines for use with the new LeverEvolution rounds. Center crosshair is sighted in at 100 yds, then two other lines can be used for 200 yds and 300 yds.

And I have a couple of friends who bought the Remington ATR VAR bolt guns and they are tack-drivers. I'm curious about the triangular bbl.

I'll have to stop in again and look at it. If its the .250 I might have to work something out. I didn't think of how rare the 99 in .250 Savage was. And a round that does 3,000 fps is good by todays standards. In the 30's & 40's it was a rocket fired from a handy sized lever gun.

The hammerless feature makes shooting it accurately easier too.
Well the 250 only did that speed with a 80gr bullet (I'll double check on that). But try and haggle him down a little. There is ALWAYS room to haggle on guns.

The thing about the 250 is is that quarter bores (.25 caliber guns) were never too popular here at any time period. The most popular will always be the 257 Roberts, and with good reason. In 2nd place is the 25-06 because of the ease it can be made with 30-06 cases, important to handloaders. The 250 is a unique case, and isn't better than the 257, so.... yeah.

Back