Four theories of math

It's weird that Obetenbrator, who used sock puppet accounts and lied about it, is suddenly patrolling the board and crying to the mods about perceived violations of board etiquette.

OMG, I used a sock once. Well, then, I guess I'm damned forever.

Perhaps you should get me banned for it somehow. For all the evil you and Hume seem to think I've committed I'm curious why I haven't been disciplined before in any significant way.

Hmmmmmm.

It's weird that Obetenbrator, who used sock puppet accounts and lied about it, is suddenly patrolling the board and crying to the mods about perceived violations of board etiquette.
So, you and I can be having a good discussion. A third person decides that you don't have the right to have a discussion on your own thread. This is a bad policy.

So, you and I can be having a good discussion. A third person decides that you don't have the right to have a discussion on your own thread. This is a bad policy.

If you were HONEST you'd see that what ACTUALLY happened was that I showed up and put in my 2Cents on the discussion which involved questioning the assumptions on which the points were built. You and Cypress then started attacking me. Just mocking my degree and calling me names.

You wouldn't discuss the points I raised except to insult them and me.

You got banned because YOU trolled. The mods will easily be able to see I held up my end of the debate.

Perhaps if all your accusations of "trolling" were correct you could get me banned.

Now let's get back to your definitions of math in the OP.

Explain please.

Please discuss the topic. I'm tired of you and Hume trolling for shits and giggles.
You keep asking for explanations of Platonism, ontology, theories of cosmology, without ever gracefully acknowledging it when the explanation is provided to you.

You're either going to have to start paying me tuition for explaining science, math, and philosophy to you, or you need to put in the work yourself and enroll in some community college classes or read some books by subject matter experts.

You keep asking for explanations of Platonism, ontology, theories of cosmology, without ever gracefully acknowledging it when the explanation is provided to you.

You're either going to have to start paying me tuition for explaining science, math, and philosophy to you, or you need to put in the work yourself and enroll in some community college classes.
I am wondering if this person is Into the Night. Same behavior.

No it hasn't. I honestly do not believe you can explain your own position.

You're either going to have to start paying me tuition for explaining science, math, and philosophy to you, or you need to put in the work yourself and enroll in some community college classes.

Have you never taught? Seriously.

I asked an honest question and all I get from you is insults. That's not a very robust approach to defending your position. But I understand it. You and Hume don't understand what any of these phrases mean. Otherwise you could explain your position.

I am wondering if this person is Into the Night. Same behavior.

Do you learn nothing? Discuss the topic and lay off the person. This is the kind of posting that got you banned on the other thread.

DIscuss the topic.

Try explaining the four theories of math in your own words. I don't think you can.

And the troll IBdaMan. Always talking about how smart he is and never actually saying anything of substance.

And the troll IBdaMan. Always talking about how smart he is and never actually saying anything of substance.

Discuss the TOPIC, Hume. NOT the person. Please. Do not get yourself banned for trolling yet ANOTHER thread.

The four OP's of this thread (Theories of Math) NONE OF WHICH ARE ANYTHING BUT QUOTES FROM THE STANFORD ENCYCLOPEDIA.

Hume dispenses with "quotation" marks to indicate they are NOT his thoughts but he does at least provide the link to the Stanforrd article.

Then proceeds to wholesale lift entire sections and REFUSES to explain what he thinks they mean. Cypress likewise is unable to explain what Stanford means.

The fact remains that neither @Cypress nor @Hume can explain what they mean using their own words. This is a HUGE tell. If one doesn't understand their own position but simply wants to "impress" other readers with their erudition, it would help at least to utilize their own words at some point.

Thus it became a challenge to formulate a philosophical theory of mathematics that was free of platonistic elements. In the first decades of the twentieth century, three non-platonistic accounts of mathematics were developed: logicism, formalism, and intuitionism. There emerged in the beginning of the twentieth century also a fourth program: predicativism.

Formalism​

David Hilbert agreed with the intuitionists that there is a sense in which the natural numbers are basic in mathematics. But unlike the intuitionists, Hilbert did not take the natural numbers to be mental constructions. Instead, he argued that the natural numbers can be taken to be symbols. Symbols are strictly speaking abstract objects.

Logicism​

The logicist project consists in attempting to reduce mathematics to logic. Since logic is supposed to be neutral about matters ontological, this project seemed to harmonize with the anti-platonistic atmosphere of the time.

Predicativism​

As was mentioned earlier, predicativism is not ordinarily described as one of the schools. But it is only for contingent reasons that before the advent of the second world war predicativism did not rise to the level of prominence of the other schools.

No it hasn't. I honestly do not believe you can explain your own position.

Have you never taught? Seriously.

I asked an honest question and all I get from you is insults. That's not a very robust approach to defending your position. But I understand it. You and Hume don't understand what any of these phrases mean. Otherwise you could explain your position.
You are relentless about visiting and reading my threads -- without ever starting threads of your own -- because you previously admitted the topics fascinate you, and contain ideas completely novel to you, because they compel you to frantically Google for tidbits of related information

-- because you previously admitted the topics fascinate you,

They do. I'm particularly interested in this one but alas neither you nor Hume seem to understand what The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy is actually saying. Which is why you refuse to explain the theories using your own words.

and contain ideas completely novel to you, because they compel you to frantically Google for tidbits of related information

Well, clearly @Hume must have just frantically googled the OP because all he did was CUT AND PASTE SECTIONS FROM IT.

They were NEVER provided. Sorry but I've looked over this thread now many times and all you and Hume did was:

1. Quote the Stanford Encyclopedia (someone else's words)
2. Trade barbs back and forth about whether math is "platonic"
3. Insulted me
4. Bitched about me with each other
5. Insulted me some more.

At no point have you ever explained any of these "theories of math" in your own words which indicates to me that neither you nor Hume CAN do so.

Obtenebrator, you have been banned from replying to this thread. At this point, you both need to use "ignore" rather than requesting me to ban them from every thread. I am not a servant, this is a free service.

You need to stop allowing third parties to get someone banned.
Only the person starting the thread should even be permitted to request a thread ban.
Yup. And even if they do I prefer they just use the ignore feature to asking us to ban them every time. At this point I'm done. You two don't like each other, I get that. If you want to stop seeing posts from @Obtenebrator, ignore them. If it becomes too much of an issue I can set ignores that you cannot remove. If I do that it will be on both of y'all.

Yup. And even if they do I prefer they just use the ignore feature to asking us to ban them every time. At this point I'm done. You two don't like each other, I get that. If you want to stop seeing posts from @Obtenebrator, ignore them. If it becomes too much of an issue I can set ignores that you cannot remove. If I do that it will be on both of y'all.
I have the guy on ignore. Ever since last website you had. He follows me and Cypress around harassing everyone. The last straw was him getting me banned from Cypress's thread. I thought you stated only the thread starter can do this?

Back