Health Care Reform

Except we don't have cost controls. We only have purchasing 'controls' in that if you don't buy it, you go to jail.

So, after 2016, $700 is what you owe US, the taxpayer, if you choose not to buy health insuance and you get a catastrophic illness or injury and we have to cover hundreds of thousands of dollars of hospitalization for you. How much medical care does $700 cover in the US? A couple of x-rays and the doctor's visit.

requirement_flowchart_3.png

Except we don't have cost controls. We only have purchasing 'controls' in that if you don't buy it, you go to jail.
Bullshit! All the other industrialized nations of the world have either a national (socialized) health care system or a universal mandate. Beeeep! Try again.

Go for it.

Let me know how that funding thing works out for you.

You understand that Covered California and other exchanges are going full force into effect regardless of what happens on Oct 1, right? It's full steam ahead.

What will happen, is that the Dems get one step closer to taking back the House next year while the Tea Party goes down in flames.

And yet, the extremists refuse to admit their defeat.

They are pathologically incapable of it, they are pathologically incapable of reason and compromise.

Which is, of course, the very nature of extremism.

Always there are extremists who know that they are on the wrong side of history, they know it, and yet instead of compromise and reason they inevitably choose to ride the last bomb down into oblivion.

This really isn’t about the Affordable Healthcare Act.

It’s about denial.

It’s about arrogance.

It’s about burning obsession

It’s about all consuming hatred.

It is about saving face.

It’s about willful pride.

For these men, it isn’t about winning – because they have already lost.

Rather than admit defeat, these extremes are willing to sacrifice the rest of us upon the altar of their own vainglory.

This isn’t about winning, it is about not having to admit defeat.

http://www.stonekettle.com/2013/09/conservikaze.html?spref=fb

I have read anecdotal complaints from Canada, UK, France, of horrible experiences, many from Canada saying they come to US when have serious issues.

I don't know if it's spinning of conservatives or not.

I do know though that my son-in-law's company sat him down and explained why they are providing additional health care policies while he and my daughter will be in UK for 1-4 years and they should not avail upon the British healthcare system, but go private. His company is a software builder company, rising fast and I think they have one player that's over 40, but might be in late 30's. Again, anecdotal, but that is where change begins.

What will happen, is that the Dems get one step closer to taking back the House next year while the Tea Party goes down in flames.

Possibly.

Tell me, how did the Democrats do while they controlled both chambers of Congress a few years back?

I have read anecdotal complaints from Canada, UK, France, of horrible experiences, many from Canada saying they come to US when have serious issues.

I do know though that my son-in-law's company sat him down and explained why they are providing additional health care policies while he and my daughter will be in UK for 1-4 years and they should not avail upon the British healthcare system, but go private. His company is a software builder company, rising fast and I think they have one player that's over 40, but might be in late 30's. Again, anecdotal, but that is where change begins.
My cousin live in the UK. He's a director at the British division of a major US Defense Contractor. He pays more in taxes than my wife and I make together and he uses the NHS and has no problems with it. It may lack something to be desired in specialized care when compared to the US but it is light years ahead of the US when it comes to primary health care. In other words, he likes the NHS and he's hardly a bleeding heart liberal.

My cousin live in the UK. He's a director at the British division of a major US Defense Contractor. He pays more in taxes than my wife and I make together and he uses the NHS and has no problems with it. It may lack something to be desired in specialized care when compared to the US but it is light years ahead of the US when it comes to primary health care. In other words, he likes the NHS and he's hardly a bleeding heart liberal.

So you say.

The focus was on their being young and in very good health. IF there were concerns for any reason where 'time was of the essence,' i.e., cancer and fertility issues, his company didn't want those to be a deal breaker. Both of them are fitness fanatics, run at least 10 miles per day and cycle I haven't a clue to how many miles. Like most in this company of young professionals, they each have more than one focus. My daughter is professional vocalist, has performed with Chicago Symphony. Both are also professional photographers, he specializes in architecture and nature, she on people.

They have been ardent Obamanites, until very recently and are having lots of cognitive dissonance issues as BAC would say.

Exactly. Other countries have better health care at a low price than we do. WHY would anyone want to keep our old health care system? Hopefully ACA with its controls and focusing on best outcomes will help; also, having everyone covered by insurance should reduce the amount of "health care by ER".

Is it as good as single payer? no. Is it better than what we had? yes.

And why exactly don't we have "cost controls"?

Because "free-market" Righties in the pocket of Big Business have wailed and pissed and moaned long and loud whenever anyone tried to broach the subject of "cost controls" in the past.

Stephen Hawking has done just fine with the British NHS.

And pretty sure it was a case in England I read about - child was born; needed 24X7 care due to breathing/feeding issues (I can't remember details); all covered. I read about it because after a year the husband wanted to bring the child home and try to care for him/her; the wife wanted to leave the child in the hospital. Tough case. But - covered.

Stephen Hawking has done just fine with the British NHS. And pretty sure it was a case in England I read about - child was born; needed 24X7 care due to breathing/feeding issues (I can't remember details); all covered. I read about it because after a year the husband wanted to bring the child home and try to care for him/her; the wife wanted to leave the child in the hospital. Tough case. But - covered.

Cite.

Stephen Hawking: I would not be alive without the NHS

Professor Stephen Hawking defended the National Health Service from attacks by the American Right, claiming that he would not be alive without it.

By Damien McElroy
7:29PM BST 12 Aug 2009

The British physicist spoke out after Republican politicians lambasted the NHS as "evil" in their effort to stop President Barack Obama's reforms of US health care which will widen availability of treatment but at a cost to higher earners who will pay higher insurance premiums.

"I wouldn't be here today if it were not for the NHS," he said. "I have received a large amount of high-quality treatment without which I would not have survived."

Prof Hawking, who has had Lou Gehrig's disease for 40 years, was in Washington to be awarded the America's highest civilian honour, the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

He received emergency treatment in April at Addenbrooke's hospital in Cambridge. An American newspaper subsequently used Prof Hawking as an example of the deficiencies of the NHS. "People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the UK, where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless," it claimed.

A Twitter campaign defending the NHS emerged to give an outlet for protests against the controversy that arose out of Mr Obama's drive to reform American healthcare. Users of the micro-blogging service have been posting messages in support of the British health care system.

Urbanitejewelry, an American in Britain, wrote: "I'm an american in the UK. Had a bad health scare a few months back and was well taken care of, no money involved. incredible."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6017878/Stephen-Hawking-I-would-not-be-alive-without-the-NHS.html

2009?

A lot has changed, then.

And is it just possible that a celebrity gets better treatment than the average?

He's had the disease for 50 years and he wasn't always a celebrity. I'm checking to see if anybody, anywhere lived with ALS that long.

Last edited:
He's had the disease for 50 years and he wasn't always a celebrity. I'm checking to see if anybody, anywhere lived with ALS that long.

The diagnosis of motor neurone disease came when Hawking was 21, in 1963.

He is a celebrity and has been since around 1970, at least in intellectual circles.

Even you have heard of him.

BTW, he posited that a brain could live without a body.

I'd say he's right, since many liberals prove the opposite on a daily basis.

Back