I hate this place

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, when I was in college, I thought all these massive projects involving databases and webapps were pointless. I didn't want to work on some shitty companies database and help their servers interface with their webapps. Boooorrrinng. I wanted to work on video games or something exciting like that.

Then I start applying for jobs, and that's like 90% of the jobs out there! No wonder the capstone project of every advanced programming class just about was to make a daemon on a server with a database communicate with a webapp written in the target language. And by now I have had all pride beaten out of me, and would be perfectly happy doing that until I die.

Last edited:
You know, when I was in college, I thought all these massive projects involving databases and webapps were pointless. I didn't want to work on some shitty companies database and help their servers interface with their webapps. Boooorrrinng. I wanted to work on video games or something exciting like that.

Then I start applying for jobs, and that's like 90% of the jobs out there! No wonder the capstone project of every advanced programming class just about was to make a daemon on a server with a database communicate with a webapp written in the target language. And by now I have lost all shame, and would be perfectly happy doing that until I die.

Stay positive and focused, and good luck in your search!

Then I start applying for jobs, and that's like 90% of the jobs out there! No wonder the capstone project of every advanced programming class just about was to make a daemon on a server with a database communicate with a webapp written in the target language. And by now I have had all pride beaten out of me, and would be perfectly happy doing that until I die.

this or any job you get will very likely not be your last job.

just get your hands and mind into the game.

you are still in research mode for your dream job.

getting a job that is not your dream job is not subjugating your self to the man.

Its the next step.

way too early to give up on your dreams dude

in FACT you are now about to start learning about what your dream really looks like.

keep the faith ginger

let your firey locks lead you into the cauldren

Well, that was done in 23 minutes. Quick. Might be bad. It was a bit of a weird interview, I guess because it was a small company and it was for an internship. Never talked to a person with technical knowledge in the first steps before. This is probably the last step too.

I was a bit scatterbrained due to being sleep deprived. Couldn't remember all the relevant projects I had done in one go, so I had to go back twice and say "Oh yeah, I did do a project related to the..." I even stupidly interrupted him once with this (he mentioned a javascript project that they were doing while describing ongoing projects in the company, I remembered that I had written a javascript game in Software Engineering and just had to mention it), we never got back on topic. Not a good sign. Also, I could barely answer one of his questions related to PHP, and couldn't answer the other (I have sooo little PHP experience...) Also kept accidentally using "y'all" and having to correct myself to "your" (not a good thing to speak in dialect in an interview). And the recruiter on the line had a bad VOIP connection, could barely understand her, so I kept having to ask her to repeat herself.

He was impressed that I had linux experience, which is good. They also sounded impressed that I knew that I could locate their offices in Columbus. (Did you really think I hadn't done hours of research on your company before this interview?)

Currently I am reviewing all the embarrassing parts of the interview, pacing, and repeating "You're an idiot" over and over to myself.

Uhhhggg, I just looked up the difference between and associative and indexed array. One just has named elements and the other has numbered ones. That's so simple. I know the concept, I just couldn't associate it to the terminology.

Well, that was done in 23 minutes. Quick. Might be bad. It was a bit of a weird interview, I guess because it was a small company and it was for an internship. Never talked to a person with technical knowledge in the first steps before. This is probably the last step too.

I was a bit scatterbrained due to being sleep deprived. Couldn't remember all the relevant projects I had done in one go, so I had to go back twice and say "Oh yeah, I did do a project related to the..." I even stupidly interrupted him once with this (he mentioned a javascript project that they were doing while describing ongoing projects in the company, I remembered that I had written a javascript game in Software Engineering and just had to mention it), we never got back on topic. Not a good sign. Also, I could barely answer one of his questions related to PHP, and couldn't answer the other (I have sooo little PHP experience...) Also kept accidentally using "y'all" and having to correct myself to "your" (not a good thing to speak in dialect in an interview). And the recruiter on the line had a bad VOIP connection, could barely understand her, so I kept having to ask her to repeat herself.

He was impressed that I had linux experience, which is good. They also sounded impressed that I knew that I could locate their offices in Columbus. (Did you really think I hadn't done hours of research on your company before this interview?)

Currently I am reviewing all the embarrassing parts of the interview, pacing, and repeating "You're an idiot" over and over to myself.
You did fine you anxious little Dweeb. Interviews are supposed to be about determining if you have the basic skill set, experience and will you fit in. You're a fucking cloistered manic depressive geek with delusions of grandeur. So there's no doubting you have the skill set and will fit in with an IT company. Quit worrying about shit you can't control. Worry about what you can control.

Give them a follow up call in a few days for a status update. Employers like motivated applicants. Don't worry about the southern accent. If they wanted everyone to be the same and have a mdwest accent they'd have already hired someone from OSU or Columbus State. The follow up calls and follow up interviews are where you usually bag the job.

Uhhhggg, I just looked up the difference between and associative and indexed array. One just has named elements and the other has numbered ones. That's so simple. I know the concept, I just couldn't associate it to the terminology.
Interviews over dude. Forget about it. Did they tell you when they would get back with you?

Besides a friendship to Damo, it does not.

Honestly I might just create a new Facebook if they ask me for one.
Clean it up. Corporations have lots of bots who look shit up on applicants on social media and they don't have a sense of humor. You may want to think about that when you post anything on social media. That is, it's not private.

Maybe you can give her some government dependency tricks to get her started
Evince?

Kaz, I thought you knew? Evince/Desh made like a gazillion dollars in west coast real estate and then retired to raise puppies and be a left wing social activist. She's got more money than Doan's has pills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back