I hate this place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I got an interview for a 6 month web developer internship in Columbus, Ohio. I've never gotten an apartment before, would it be possible to get one with a 6 month lease for under a thousand dollars a month? I honestly don't care if I spend all of my money on the apartment, I want some experience to throw on my resume.
Mott would help you out, I'm sure!

Watermark, you need to get a tech job in Seattle:

-When you're feeling granola liberal, you can chill down in Portlandia, West Olympia, or Fremont.
-When you're feeling urban hipster, there's Capital Hill.
-When you're feeling cosmopolitan, there's Vancouver BC, Belltown, Queen Anne, Downtown Olympia, etc.
-When you're feeling snotty elitist, there's Bellevue and Redmond (HQ of the WA GOP, as well as our tech industry hubs).

It's perfect for you.

Hmm, I got an interview for a 6 month web developer internship in Columbus, Ohio. I've never gotten an apartment before, would it be possible to get one with a 6 month lease for under a thousand dollars a month? I honestly don't care if I spend all of my money on the apartment, I want some experience to throw on my resume.

There's nothing in Ohio except queers and steers, you don't want to go there

I can't afford to be picky on location. I'm basically applying anywhere right now.

After this internship, I might be in position where I can be a little picky on location. It looks a lot better to have just finished an internship than to have been unemployed for two years.

I've looked it up, there appear to be studio apartments available in Columbus for $600 with a short term lease. They're offering $12-$20, though hopefully I can negotiate something closer to $20. But at even at $12 x 40 x 4 = $1900, that should be doable.

I'll sleep on an air mattress and bring my fold up table for a computer desk. I don't need anything else.

I don't think that would be a problem. What part of Cbus would you be working in and do you have a car?

I've looked it up, there appear to be studio apartments available in Columbus for $600 with a short term lease. They're offering $12-$20, though hopefully I can negotiate something closer to $20. But at even at $12 x 40 x 4 = $1900, that should be doable.

I'll sleep on an air mattress and bring my fold up table for a computer desk. I don't need anything else.

That's because it's in the center of Ohio and no one can hold their breath long enough to get there without breathing

You shouldn't have any problem. Just let me know what part of town you'll be working and I'll let you know what places are in decent neighborhoods. I honestly wouldn't do it for anything less than 18,000 as realistically you'll probably be paying closer to 700/mo with utilities and rent should be no more than 25% of your gross income so I would suggest asking $20K but go down as far as $18K and you'll earn enough to get buy on, have a little pocket change and save a little. I would reject any offer less than $16K cause you'd have a hard time making ends meet. Anything less than that would essentially be less than minimum wage anyway.

I don't think that would be a problem. What part of Cbus would you be working in and do you have a car?

It's about halfway between Dublin and the University.

I could bring my car, but it's old and has mechanical problems and my dad might advise against it. I might be able to get an apartment close enough to bike, which would mean no fuel costs.

You shouldn't have any problem. Just let me know what part of town you'll be working and I'll let you know what places are in decent neighborhoods. I honestly wouldn't do it for anything less than 18,000 as realistically you'll probably be paying closer to 700/mo with utilities and rent should be no more than 25% of your gross income so I would suggest asking $20K but go down as far as $18K and you'll earn enough to get buy on, have a little pocket change and save a little. I would reject any offer less than $16K cause you'd have a hard time making ends meet. Anything less than that would essentially be less than minimum wage anyway.

Thanks. I had been worried about that. I'll make sure run any apartments by you before I go for them.

Lower end of what they're offering is $12 x 40 x 52 = $25k. That would be cutting it close, but it's still be worth it for the experience. Hopefully I can negotiate something closer to $20 x 40 x 52 = $40k, which would give me a lot more breathing room (hell, I'd actually be able to make payments on my student loans).

It's about halfway between Dublin and the University.

I could bring my car, but it's old and has mechanical problems and my dad might advise against it. I might be able to get an apartment close enough to bike, which would mean no fuel costs.
There aren't really any bad neighborhoods in the northwest quadrant of Cbus. You might want to check out Karric Place in Dublin as it's right on the bus line. As long as you get a place that's near the bus line you'll be ahight. To cold for commuting by bike and will stay that way till April. May for a southern boy like you. ;)

http://www.borrorproperties.com/listing/karric-place-of-dublin/

Thanks. I had been worried about that. I'll make sure run any apartments by you before I go for them.

Lower end of what they're offering is $12 x 40 x 52 = $25k. That would be cutting it close, but it's still be worth it for the experience. Hopefully I can negotiate something closer to $20 x 40 x 52 = $40k, which would give me a lot more breathing room (hell, I'd actually be able to make payments on my student loans).
You got the right idea. Use this as an opportunity to get some experience and relocate to an area where there's a lot of employment opportunities. Cbus is booming right now. You might struggle at first finding work in your specific field but you'll have no problem finding a job that will pay you a living wage. Worse case scenario my wife will hire you to clean rooms. She's always looking for help at her hotel. Ya know, in case you need the additional money.

Wow, I'm talking to the CIO on Monday. They are entirely skipping the whole process of bouncing me from recruiter to junior manager to someone who can actually make a hiring decision. I'm going to be asked actual technical questions and it's probably going to take an hour.

Better start studying up on PHP, MySQL, and Wordpress. To be honest PHP backends are the type I probably have the least experience with. Hopefully they'll be willing to overlook that because it's an internship.

Wow, I'm talking to the CIO on Monday. They are entirely skipping the whole process of bouncing me from recruiter to junior manager to someone who can actually make a hiring decision. I'm going to be asked actual technical questions and it's probably going to take an hour.

Better start studying up on PHP, MySQL, and Wordpress. To be honest PHP backends are the type I probably have the least experience with. Hopefully they'll be willing to overlook that because it's an internship.
If you didn't have the basic skills they wouldn't be talking to you. They're going to be more concerned about you having the right attitude and being a good fit. As long as you have an attitude of "No job to big, no job to small" you'll fit in. So yea, brush up on the geek speak, be enthusiastic but let them know you'll push a broom too. Besides....they're barely paying you more than minimum wage. More than likely they're exploiting your for cheap labor. However, that works two ways. You can get your foot in the door, hopefully get some decent experience while looking for full time work that will pay you something more in line with your education. In six months I bet you can find a full time job in your general field for something between $30 and $40 kpy. Hell we start entry level CSR's out at $28 kpy and full benefits (about another $7,000/year).

You'd be surprised at how many employers don't hire OSU grads in Cbus. They want young people from all around the country for the intellectual cross pollination.

Last edited:
An entry level programming job would be more like 60k-80k a year. 50k would be the extreme low end.

I didn't pick this career field randomly.

An entry level programming job would be more like 60k-80k a year. 50k would be the extreme low end.

Well I wasn't exactly sure what "your field" was. Lots of opportunities here in Dublin in programing. I know several guys who work in that field here in Dublin and yea...they make great money. Both will probably die young from over work, lack of exercise and stress but they got shit loads of money! LOL

I think entry level for programmers is around $50kpy and mid career is about $80-90 kpy here in Cbus. That's with an undergraduate degree.

Just some of the employers here in Dublin that hire programmers are;

Cardinal Health
Nationwide Insurance
Ohio Health
Fiserv Corp
Careworks
Quest
NCO
JP Morgan Chase
Century Link
Alcatel-Lucent
HP
Dell
Northwoods

and that's just Dublin.

Last edited:
Watermark, you need to get a tech job in Seattle:

-When you're feeling granola liberal, you can chill down in Portlandia, West Olympia, or Fremont.
-When you're feeling urban hipster, there's Capital Hill.
-When you're feeling cosmopolitan, there's Vancouver BC, Belltown, Queen Anne, Downtown Olympia, etc.
-When you're feeling snotty elitist, there's Bellevue and Redmond (HQ of the WA GOP, as well as our tech industry hubs).

It's perfect for you.
So help him out!

My youngest son Josh aged 22 graduated in 2014, he is now on his second IT job earning £50k in London.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back