Illegal Immigration Rallies

but should they have some type of skill to enable them to make a living ?

No. I don't think that should be a requirement. That would be more red tape. And for what? What if they are going to be a housewife? Or put on chucky cheese outfit for a days work?

and I know some will say it is illegal to replace a US worker with a foreign guest worker.
Well there are ways around that. Such as redefining job position requirements. and then forcing us to re-apply for a job we have had for years and got great reviews on......Not an uncommon practice in some large corporations.

That is slimy. That happened to you?

Yep it happened to me.
It is a money decision, get rid of higher benefit and pay cost employees and hire younger ones and Guest workers.

They call them RIF's also, but check the number of employees less than a year after the reduction in force....

Yep it happened to me.
It is a money decision, get rid of higher benefit and pay cost employees and hire younger ones and Guest workers.

They call them RIF's also, but check the number of employees less than a year after the reduction in force....

That's what sucks about corporate america. The more you make the more suseptible to cuts you are.

Only until you reach a certain executive type of level and then the good ol boy network kicks in real good.

yeah, the only way to really stay safe is to move around before you get canned or be an exec so that you get a nice package upon leaving.

Well Damo, I can argue either side of this issue, to an extent, and I mean that because when I see someone on the very left say that it's not a problem at all, well that's not exactly true. Illegal immigration does have an effect on wages for our lower class workers here. Hit the hardest are African Americans. Also, construction workers, who used to make a decent, actual living wage, have been hit hard. So, I don't agree with ignoring that. That has to be addressed.

On the other hand, I find that the other side, for instance a Lou Dobbs, grossly exxagerates and demagogues this issue. He in particular, also traffics with known racists from actual racist organizations. Overall, illegal immigration has a net positive effect on our economy. Now, not being a Topspin type, I don't say, well then, as long as "overall" it's good for those already doing well, end case. I am very concerned with the worker, with the labor force. However, let's not blow it out of proportion either. Let's get all of the FACTS on the table, and go from there, based on reason.

Well, I've often argued that we sould use the economical benefits of illegal immigration as an excuse to increase social welfare spending on those who have been displaced... but I don't think many libertarians would agree with me there.

Asshat said:
Well, I've often argued that we sould use the economical benefits of illegal immigration as an excuse to increase social welfare spending on those who have been displaced... but I don't think many libertarians would agree with me there.

How is that even practical or possible? How are you going to take the savings I may get in fruit and apply it to the displaced? Are you proposing raising taxes?

How is that even practical or possible? How are you going to take the savings I may get in fruit and apply it to the displaced? Are you proposing raising taxes?

Taxing someone for sure, business would be the natural target since they are the ones profiting the most. Then they would pass it on to we consumers since they cannot reduse their profits....

Well, my hubby and I just came back from the local Immigration office, where we (finally!) filed all the necessary papers for me to become a permanent resident. We've been married for nearly 4 years; have been together for 15. I've been here on a renewable professional visa from Canada all that time. We just decided that it was stupid to keep paying the $190. per year to renew this visa, which is restrictive (I can't work at anything besides science, e.g.).

You can't get citizenship while outside the country. An immigrant can apply for permanent residence (green card) which now has a time limit before either renewal or passing the citizenship test. You have to be a legal permanent resident and must apply for citizenship from inside the country. The time allowed/required for that depends on the terms of the green card.

My husband was born here (NJ, no less, Tiana!) so we're going the married to an American route. [I'd looked into the special abilities route a few years ago but had bad feelings about the lawyer (the only one in town doing that work) so didn't pursue it. Turns out my intuition was correct; he was disbarred shortly after.]

I'm applying for the standard work permit, which is less restrictive than the TN and allows me, for instance, to accept prize money in photo competitions (I've had to turn it down a few times in the past) or even to open my own business if I wanted to do that. Under this married classification, I can apply for citizenship within, I think, two years of getting my green card. Other classifications require 4 or 5 years; I forget. Too bad I won't be able to vote in the next election; my fault, I let work interfere with the paperwork process before.

Anyway, wish me luck, although things should proceed pretty smoothly. The rules also require an employer's statement about my husband's employment and income, a copy of our latest tax return and his W2. He has to prove that he can support me. :D I also had to undergo a physical exam by their appointed doctor, which included blood tests for STDs and a TB test, and I had to have shots for Hepatitis B and MMR (I had measles, mumps and rubella (the diseases, not the shots) as a child, but have no idea where those records might be!)

I've been paying taxes and SS, as well as the annual fees to INS (now something else) ever since I've been here, but I did it all legally. Unless they somehow have a bogus SS card, illegals don't pay into the system, and I think it was usc who posted recently that the money that illegals here send to Mexico is the second highest total income in Mexico's GNP.

Thank you Tiana for supporting those of us who jumped through all the hoops to come here legally.

Thank you Tiana for supporting those of us who jumped through all the hoops to come here legally.

No problem!
I had a coworker who would come back after each trip to the INS building almost in tears - and she had a son in Iraq! Its a struggle and one that I don't think has to be so strenuous. Most of the problem lies with the layers and layers of bureaucracy and no accountability or even incentive it seems for the government to be efficient. Its a nightmare. I know. Which is why I know you'd feel slighted if all of a sudden congress waved a magic wand and said, "Okay for those of you here already you're good to go" Would you be given the same instant legal status? Or would you have to continue to work your way through the system for years?

I have no issues with people from all over the world immigrating, I just have issues with illegal immigration and granting amnesty for it.

... Which is why I know you'd feel slighted if all of a sudden congress waved a magic wand and said, "Okay for those of you here already you're good to go" Would you be given the same instant legal status? Or would you have to continue to work your way through the system for years?

I have no issues with people from all over the world immigrating, I just have issues with illegal immigration and granting amnesty for it.

There's no special treatment for law-abiding immigrants, it appears. I'd have to continue to go through the system as I'm doing now. I think that the current proposal wouldn't make paperwork go away for those here illegally, just would enable them to change their status so they wouldn't be breaking the law anymore. Let them pay all the fees and fines, retrospectively to their entry date, that would have been due if they had entered legally, though!

During the last amnesty, (fall of 1987), it was reported on the news that a lot of people here legally were also applying for green cards under the instant amnesty condition, because they wouldn't have to go through all that paperwork.

USC, you mentioned being displaced by lower-paid guest workers. That loophole has now been closed, and the government has set minimum pay scales for H1B workers in the various categories. This ensures that such a situation cannot arise to the detriment of American workers and this amendment is only right.

The H1B visa vorkers minimum pay scale is very low for tech workers, it will still happen....

Ah, too bad, I thought those categories had been corrected along with the scientific H1Bs. They can't get away with that crap any more in science, at least.

But they can always redifine you job description so that virtually no American workers with the requirements will do the job for the minimum pay....
Then they can cry we need more H!B workers....

Plus, corporations will always prefer h1b's because they can hold their status and dependancy on the corporation over their heads to control them. ANd they do that.

I've been paying taxes and SS, as well as the annual fees to INS (now something else) ever since I've been here, but I did it all legally. Unless they somehow have a bogus SS card, illegals don't pay into the system, and I think it was usc who posted recently that the money that illegals here send to Mexico is the second highest total income in Mexico's GNP.

Illegals usually file with the SS commission to get a fake SS number. I think they believe it gives them some sort of extra legitamicy, to pay taxes.

But it's great, isn't it? One set of peoples helping out another set, to mutual benefit. One of the greatest things about a global economy. Imagine how many people would starve to death in Mexico if we cut off the money, and imagine how much that would hurt our economy.

The H1B visa vorkers minimum pay scale is very low for tech workers, it will still happen....

US, I've talked to people in the tech industry. The effect is miniscule. The only real problem I have with the HB1 program is the way that it basically makes slaves of the visaholders to the employers.

Plus, corporations will always prefer h1b's because they can hold their status and dependancy on the corporation over their heads to control them. ANd they do that.

this is true and those from the caste system in India already know their place and behave very well.

Also they are usually more grateful for the money they are paid as it is far more than they could make in India.

I have been working with H1B types for about as long as they have existed I suppose. Most are nice folks and I do not blame them for wanting a better life.

US, I've talked to people in the tech industry. The effect is miniscule. The only real problem I have with the HB1 program is the way that it basically makes slaves of the visaholders to the employers.

I have worked in the communications and tech industry for most of my life.....
Around H1B types for most of my life. see my response to AHZ above for my view on the H1B workers.

I have also had to rebid on my jobs 3 times in the last 15 years and 2 times I found i no longer filled the rewritten job requirements...
And don't say I should have gotten more training. I have around 6,000 classroom hours of continuing technical education. But no degree....
You have talked, I have walked.

Last edited:
Back