Is a Public Philosophy Still Possible?

forces outside of space and time.
I prefer an explanation that utilizes reality.
Did you actually believe things, concepts, ideas cannot be objectively true without existing physically??

Please inform the board where we can go to see pi, the Pythagorean theorem, the quadratic equation, and infinity manifested in real physical dimension.

Like I said before, you believe you have achieved omniscience, and are incapable of admitting ignorance about anything.

This is manifestly a lie. I have admitted to not knowing plenty of stuff on here. Again with the dishonesty. Or is it because you don't actually READ my posts before responding?

That is a very radical belief for someone who claims to have been awarded a glorious PhD in geochem. Scientists should be the first to admit ignorance.

And there we have it. Another obsession of yours: my PhD. You really should get over that. If you couldn't achieve at that level that doesn't mean you are less than.

I am perfectly comfortable admitting ignorance where information is lacking

Again, another lie. You CONSTANTLY tell people you know what animals can and cannot think without any evidence.

so what 's wrong with reciprocity and "do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

Did anyone say it was problematic? Or do you just need to validate yourself by posting something, anything?

isn't that reasonable and useful?

Yes

what is your morality? pontification and bullshit?

OK, I got it. You just wanted to get a dig in on someone, anyone and I was handy. Got it.

Maybe if you could bother to FOLLOW THE CONVERSATION before interjecting your "opinion" that would be great.

Did you actually believe things, concepts, ideas cannot be objectively true without existing physically??

Please inform the board where we can go to see pi,

circle_noun_001_02738.jpg

the Pythagorean theorem

triangle10.png

, the quadratic equation

maxresdefault.jpg

You've never had a philosophy class, have you? A perfect right triangle does not exist. It is an abstract, ideal form. Read Plato.

Those mathmatical ideas are abstract concepts which came from the human mind, and in and of themselves do not exist physically.

Equality, mercy, liberty, are abstract concepts which can be represented in picture form, but do not exist in and of themselves physically. They are abstract ideas that can be put into practice, just like the quadratic equation.

Pi is going to be objectively true five billion years from now, when humans don't exist and all the pictures you posted are long gone. It's an abstract transcendental truth that does not exist physically. You don't really think much about knowlege and truth, do you?

Last edited:
Did anyone say it was problematic? Or do you just need to validate yourself by posting something, anything?

Yes

OK, I got it. You just wanted to get a dig in on someone, anyone and I was handy. Got it.

Maybe if you could bother to FOLLOW THE CONVERSATION before interjecting your "opinion" that would be great.
Im just looking for an actual conversation about morality in some capacity.

you people don't even have a starting point.

you only have posturing and obtuse word games.

This is manifestly a lie. I have admitted to not knowing plenty of stuff on here. Again with the dishonesty. Or is it because you don't actually READ my posts before responding?

And there we have it. Another obsession of yours: my PhD. You really should get over that. If you couldn't achieve at that level that doesn't mean you are less than.

Again, another lie. You CONSTANTLY tell people you know what animals can and cannot think without any evidence.
You claim there is, or should be, an answer for everything, and stomp your feet in anger when I say we or I don't know what the answer is.

Your belief in human omniscience is arrogant, misguided, and anti-scientific.

You claim there is, or should be, an answer for everything, and stomp your feet in anger when I say we or I don't know what the answer is.

and you exist only to muddy waters and posture and bullshit.

You've never had a philosophy class, have you? A perfect right triangle does not exist.

I'll just ignore this silliness.

Those mathmatical ideas are abstract concepts which came from the human mind, and in and of themselves do not exist physically.

I'm willing to bet that initially when someone discovered pi they did so by measuring the circumference and diameter of a circle and then dividing one by the other.

I'm also willing to bet that Pythagoras didn't just "reason" his theorem but actually looked at right triangles.

Equality, mercy, liberty, are abstract concepts which can be represented in picture form, but do not exist in and of themselves physically. They are abstract ideas that can be put into practice, just like the quadratic equation.

To be quite honest I don't fully understand why you find this sort of point meaningful. It's like saying the verb "run" isn't based in reality because it is a concept.

This is silliness to the extreme. And doesn't really support the idea that morality must ipso facto be from outside of space and time.

Pi is going to be objectively true five billion years from now, when humans don't exist and all the pictures you posted are long gone.

And, again, do you think that some intelligence beyond space and time had to "invent" the fact that the ratio of a circle's circumference and diameter equaled pi? Or is it more akin to 1+1=2. It is simply what a circle is. Almost tautological if you will.

In your imagination can you imagine a world in which a circle can be drawn that doesn't have that ratio?

It's an abstract transcendental truth that does not exist physically. You don't really think much about knowlege and truth, do you?

It most assuredly DOES exist physically.

You claim there is, or should be, an answer for everything

I have repeatedly said the exact opposite. Yet ANOTHER of your mischaracterizations. Are you technically allowed to be truthful?

, and stomp your feet in anger when I say we or I don't know what the answer is.

No, again, I've said there are many things we don't know and many things we may never know. Just because someone DOESN'T know something doesn't mean it must be from BEYOND SPACE AND TIME.

More lies. You seem incapable of typing without lying now. Have you suffered an injury?

I'll just ignore this silliness.

I'm willing to bet that initially when someone discovered pi they did so by measuring the circumference and diameter of a circle and then dividing one by the other.

I'm also willing to bet that Pythagoras didn't just "reason" his theorem but actually looked at right triangles.

To be quite honest I don't fully understand why you find this sort of point meaningful. It's like saying the verb "run" isn't based in reality because it is a concept.

This is silliness to the extreme. And doesn't really support the idea that morality must ipso facto be from outside of space and time.

And, again, do you think that some intelligence beyond space and time had to "invent" the fact that the ratio of a circle's circumference and diameter equaled pi? Or is it more akin to 1+1=2. It is simply what a circle is. Almost tautological if you will.

In your imagination can you imagine a world in which a circle can be drawn that doesn't have that ratio?

It most assuredly DOES exist physically.
You don't think very much about truth and knowledge. Perhaps you lack imagination to even ask the right questions.

Humans cannot draw pristine perfect circles. There is always some tiny margin of error even in precision graphics.

There aren't perfect, ideal circles floating in space.

Therefore, you cannot physically represent an ideal pi.

Further no one actually knows what the value of pi actually is, because it's an irrational number and the world's most powerful computers can only represent an approximation of pi to a finite number of digits.

The concept of pi was objectively true ten billion years before humans drew circles. It will be objectively true ten billion years after our extinction.

Pi, in it's actual and ideal form, is an abstract and objectively true concept humans only discovered through our gift of reason. It was always an abstract and transcendental concept, even when we try to approximate it's real form on paper or computer calculation.

Things ideas, concepts can be objectively true, even if they don't exist physically. Period, end of story.

Back