Is a Public Philosophy Still Possible?

Liberal-egalitarians will find an ally in Socrates. For one thing, he is inclusive: the gadfly piques everyone. Sure, Socrates is in your face. But he doesn’t force you to change. Nor does he pour wisdom into your head. As an intellectual “midwife” he wants to help you give birth to your own ideas, making sure that they are founded in reason. This might still be too much for the complacent or the self-righteous. But it certainly fits nicely with John Stuart Mill’s brand of liberalism, for example, that champions critical thinking and vigorous debate.

Who would not rally behind public philosophy if it could steer us to an examined life steeped in virtue and wisdom?

every alternate reality defying how genetics results are self evidently eternally separated daily defends humanities within the one species created humanity to justify ancestries ignoring reproductions are equally timed apart genetically separate lifetimes here now.

So the clickbait title is just that reasonable doubt corrupting last generation gap born each great great grandchild replacing its 30 previous people that added their unique time staying alive tomorrow midnight to noon, daily noon to midnight finishes same rotation today and midnight is tomorrow already noon to midnight other side of the planet now.

Did you actually believe things, concepts, ideas cannot be objectively true without existing physically??

Please inform the board where we can go to see pi, the Pythagorean theorem, the quadratic equation, and infinity manifested in real physical dimension.
The Fibonacci sequence and/or the Golden Ratio, (phi) are the perfect balance between nature and nurture.

The Fibonacci sequence is part of nature whereas phi had to be discovered.

Obviously per my point I disagree.

I do agree, however, that all people come to mathematics through a posteriori reasoning as opposed to a priori reasoning just as a matter of convenience.

Obviously per my point I disagree.

I do agree, however, that all people come to mathematics through a posteriori reasoning as opposed to a priori reasoning just as a matter of convenience.
We can't deny that math is part of nature. It took Cypress for me to accept this fact.

We can't deny that math is part of nature. It took Cypress for me to accept this fact.

Nor am I denying that. I'm just sayin' that math is little more than the explanation of the relationships. Perhaps there is something about the "value" of the constants that would require "setting" by some outside "designer" or "intelligence" but honestly I can't see why it would. If we are talking about a physical constant, yeah, that would make sense, but when talking about say the relationship between two numbers in Fibonacci sequence, well it kind of is what it necessarily is.

Which is why I keep bringing up simple identities in mathematics. It solves all this silly blather about things like Pi and reduces the debate down to something that at least everyone can agree on the terms of.

Because what I'm seeing from the Cypress side is a lot of blathering of impressive sounding words without context or even clear definitions. It's as if they feel that however mushed up an idea can be in their heads, if it sounds "impressive and intellectual" to someone else it must be deeeeeep.

the Fibonacci sequence is certainly found in nature, but I don't see how it relates to nurture.

The whole "nature vs nurture" thing was another example of yet more posters on here just spewing out random fancy-sounding terms and then back-filling it with some desperate attempt to meaning.

This isn't something that affects you, since you never even TRY explaining your position in your own words.

Phi was derived from the Fibonacci sequence I think, but I don't think nuture is the right word though
Manipulated may be a better word than nurtured. My point is there a distinct difference between Phi and the Fibonacci sequence.

Nor am I denying that. I'm just sayin' that math is little more than the explanation of the relationships. Perhaps there is something about the "value" of the constants that would require "setting" by some outside "designer" or "intelligence" but honestly I can't see why it would. If we are talking about a physical constant, yeah, that would make sense, but when talking about say the relationship between two numbers in Fibonacci sequence, well it kind of is what it necessarily is.

Which is why I keep bringing up simple identities in mathematics. It solves all this silly blather about things like Pi and reduces the debate down to something that at least everyone can agree on the terms of.

Because what I'm seeing from the Cypress side is a lot of blathering of impressive sounding words without context or even clear definitions. It's as if they feel that however mushed up an idea can be in their heads, if it sounds "impressive and intellectual" to someone else it must be deeeeeep.
Plants have a better chance at survival with the Fibonacci sequence. That is something I denied most of my life because I went along with the thinking that math is a construct of man. The idea of science is to adapt to new ideas.

Plants have a better chance at survival with the Fibonacci sequence. That is something I denied most of my life because I went along with the thinking that math is a construct of man. The idea of science is to adapt to new ideas.
Did God invent math? Otherwise, humans did it.

Back