Jade's Recipe Exchange.

Speaking of braising I made what we call cowboy beans or frijoles charros down south. Cowboy beans is really more a method as a recipe. Kind of like Gumbo. I made mine with country ribs, stew beef and diced ham. I added some jalepno, bell and pablano peppers , fresh tomatoes and tomitlos and the usual herbs and spices except my secret ingredient is a couple of packets of Goya seasoning.

Yikes, sounds fiery! I made ham n beans the other day too. I loathe those white navy beans, so used a 15-bean mix instead. And snuck in some minced onions. Is the Goya spicy too?

not spicy hot at all. On a heat scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being hottest this is a 1 maybe 2.

Thanks. I googled it but it wasn't very helpful. The description didn't sound like it was spicy (something I have no tolerance for), but just wanted to check. What do you like about it, what does it add to a dish? The one Google source said it was good with fish.

One of my personal favourites from Northeast Thailand is Larb Gai.

For 4 Person(s)

INGREDIENTS

1 lb Ground Chicken

2 Tablespoons Sliced Shallots

2 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Spring Onion

1/4 Cup Chopped Mint Leaves

3 Tablespoons Roasted Rice Powder (khao koor)

2 Tablespoons Ground Thai Chilli

3 Tablespoons Lime Juice

3 Tablespoon Fish Sauce

Cook the chicken with 2 tablespoons lime juice in a pan over moderate heat. Stir until done. Transfer cooked chicken into medium mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients, and mix well. Taste and season as desired. You might want more or less ground chile and/or fish sauce, etc. Serve with fresh vegetables (as shown) and warm, freshly steamed sticky rice (or if you prefer you can use Thai jasmine rice).

Note: if you like chicken giblets, cut them up into small pieces and cook in boiling water. Drain then add to cooked ground chicken before you add the other ingredients.

The usual way to eat this is to get a small ball of sticky rice in the fingers and use it to pick up a little larb, then eat it with the raw veggies. You can also use a fork and spoon as a lot of Thais do.

Garnish

Always serve with a good portion of fresh lettuce, green beans, parsley, sliced radish, cucumber & coriander leaves.

Sent from my Lenovo K8 using Tapatalk
Ii

Last edited:
BTW, since we're talking recipes here, a little announcement. I was hired recently as a free-lance writer for one of the country's largest-circulation food/cooking magazines. Woo-hoo! My first article was accepted last week! Double woo-hoo!

Every Friday we're invited to pitch story ideas to the editors, who then brain storm them on Mondays. Topics are chosen and then assignments are tossed out there, that we can accept or ignore. Hope you don't mind if sometimes I ask to pick yer brains.... and of course all due credit will be given. Thanking you gourmets in advance!

I'm not going to publicly state the name of this periodical due to some stalking issues related to a toxic slimeball from the old Amazon forums. If you'd like to know it, just send me a PM.

One of my personal favourites from Northeast Thailand is Larb Gai.

For 4 Person(s)

INGREDIENTS

1 lb Ground Chicken

2 Tablespoons Sliced Shallots

2 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Spring Onion

1/4 Cup Chopped Mint Leaves

3 Tablespoons Roasted Rice Powder (khao koor)

2 Tablespoons Ground Thai Chilli

3 Tablespoons Lime Juice

3 Tablespoon Fish Sauce

Cook the chicken with 2 tablespoons lime juice in a pan over moderate heat. Stir until done. Transfer cooked chicken into medium mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients, and mix well. Taste and season as desired. You might want more or less ground chile and/or fish sauce, etc. Serve with fresh vegetables (as shown) and warm, freshly steamed sticky rice (or if you prefer you can use Thai jasmine rice).

Note: if you like chicken giblets, cut them up into small pieces and cook in boiling water. Drain then add to cooked ground chicken before you add the other ingredients.

The usual way to eat this is to get a small ball of sticky rice in the fingers and use it to pick up a little lawb, then eat it with the raw veggies. You can also use a fork and spoon as a lot of Thais do.

Garnish

Always serve with a good portion of fresh lettuce, green beans, parsley, sliced radish, cucumber & coriander leaves.

Wow, I would actually maybe eat that. I can't stand most Thai restaurant fare because it's either too hot or too sweet. That sounds both healthy and delicious.... thanks!

You should, it is a staple food in Isaan ( North East Thailand).

Thanks for the tip, learning some stuff here. Being an American stuck in the middle between coasts (the coasts being where stuff happens), I haven't had much exposure to Asian cuisine other than the ubiquitous "Chinese" or "Japanese" or "Thai" or "India" restaurants we had back in St. Louis. Up here the pickings are even leaner.

Thanks for the tip, learning some stuff here. Being an American stuck in the middle between coasts (the coasts being where stuff happens), I haven't had much exposure to Asian cuisine other than the ubiquitous "Chinese" or "Japanese" or "Thai" or "India" restaurants we had back in St. Louis. Up here the pickings are even leaner.

I ordered some dried chili peppers straight from Thailand; they came from Phuket City (LOL). It's actually pronounced Poo-kit.

I remember how bad that city was slammed during the 2004 earthquake and tsumanis. The name looks funny to us but it was not fun times for those ppl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake_and_tsunami
I was in Thailand in 2004 when that happened, not in Phuket fortunately, but I saw and spoke to some people leaving Thailand who had been on Patong beach. One guy from Australia told me that he was in bed, and the force of water split the hotel door in two and he had to swim to the foyer. He only managed to escape by climbing up to the first floor. One woman was not so lucky, she was pushed into a glass door with incredible force and died from her injuries.

Thanks. I googled it but it wasn't very helpful. The description didn't sound like it was spicy (something I have no tolerance for), but just wanted to check. What do you like about it, what does it add to a dish? The one Google source said it was good with fish.
Goodness gracious I made it as the main course as there is a lot of meat in it. I served it with rice and tortillas and some pico de gallo. I like it because it has layered flavors, is hardy and filling.

You know it’s interesting that people say that. It’s a common urban legend based, probably, by Hollywood being on the west coast. It also isn’t true. The greatest regions of cultural, social and technology transfer are the North East region and the Great Lakes region. A distant third is the California Coast Which produces about half of the information transfer as the Great Lakes region.

There are other significant regions, such as, the nort west region, the piedmont region, the Texas triangle the Atlantic coast of Florida,etc,. Those are all significantly smaller than either the North East Region and Great Lakes region population centers.

I discovered this when I was researching technology transfer. The conventional wisdom then as now is that the West Coast and East Coast were the two biggest players and technology transferred from the Coast into the interior. It isn’t true. The Great Lakes region produces more than the West Coast does.

Last edited:
I used to do that but fortunately my local markets carry items like soup bones, chicken feet, pigs feet, etc,. So I don't have to save stock bones. I rarely save the smaltz anymore other than maybe a tbsp. or so to add some flavor to a dish but I try to eat heart healthy so most of it gets pitched. I do save left over stock but more often as not when I make a batch it pretty much gets used up in what ever dish I'm making. Except Pho. Whenever I make Pho I often end up with twice as much stock as I needed. I don't worry about saving extra stock it as it's so easy to make and I have limited freezer space.
I would love your pho recipe!

Back