Jade's Recipe Exchange.

Yea their not like peas. You want to defrost them and steaming or boiling Brussel sprouts brings out the sulfur compounds that can give them their notorious reputation. It also gives them a mushy or slimy texture. Brussel sprouts are usually best when you use a high temp cooking method like pan searing or broiling. Cutting out the stem makes them cook quicker and reduces the bitterness.

Thanks!

I always wanted to try ramps. I bet that's good with fresh caught fish.

Oh yes! They're amazing. We found quite a lot of them last spring/summer when I took that immersion class; it was close to the end of their season here. They're supposed to be best if you can find them when they first come up, while there's still a bit of snow in the shadows but spring is for sure here. At another class I took, someone brought in some canning jars full of pickled leeks (their local name here) for us to sample. They were also delicious. Am looking forward to starting the foraging season much earlier next spring, now that I know what to look for. Do you have any books yet on wild edibles?

I citrus brined a pork sirloin roast the other day (apple juice base), then smoked it at 180 with apple smoke and a glaze of dijon+molasses. The leftovers are today. Thin sliced the roast and made a panini with thin slices of Granny Smith apples and dijon.

Yummm!

I citrus brined a pork sirloin roast the other day (apple juice base), then smoked it at 180 with apple smoke and a glaze of dijon+molasses. The leftovers are today. Thin sliced the roast and made a panini with thin slices of Granny Smith apples and dijon.

Yummm!

How do you do a citrus brine?

How do you do a citrus brine?

Pork sirloin can be dry because it’s so lean. Brining helps retain moisture and adds additional flavor. People most often brine turkeys for smoking, too. I think this brine was:

8 CUPS APPLE JUICE
4 CUPS WATER
1/2 CUP WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
1/2 CUP SALT
1/2 CUP DARK BROWN MOLASSES

Soak the pork in it over night before smoking.

Basically, any brine is the salt base and adding any flavors you might want infused into the meat. For pork, I’ve seen lemons, rosemary, maple syrup, etc. added. Google is your friend here.

Pork sirloin can be dry because it’s so lean. Brining helps retain moisture and adds additional flavor. People most often brine turkeys for smoking, too. I think this brine was:

8 CUPS APPLE JUICE
4 CUPS WATER
1/2 CUP WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
1/2 CUP SALT
1/2 CUP DARK BROWN MOLASSES

Soak the pork in it over night before smoking.

Basically, any brine is the salt base and adding any flavors you might want infused into the meat. For pork, I’ve seen lemons, rosemary, maple syrup, etc. added. Google is your friend here.

Thanks, domer.

Making one of the few things Mom can eat right now meat wise, braised short ribs. Seasoned them with Hawaiian rum sea salt, and tons of rosemary. Seared them on each side, and put into the braising liquid. Braising liquid: Blackstone Merlot, unsalted beef stock, 5 garlic cloves peeled, and cut in half, and 2 dried kaffir lime leaves to fish out later.

Last edited:
That they are. I like adding ramps to fried potatoes. They’re not hard to find, particularly in the spring, if you live in the NE or Great Lakes region. They’re all over the woods.

Does samphire grow in the US? When I lived down in Dorset, near Poole Harbour, we used to go pick it by the salt marshes. It is the perfect accompaniment to most things but especially fish.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/glossary/samphire

Last edited:
Making one of the few things Mom can eat right now meat wise, braised short ribs. Seasoned them with Hawaiian rum sea salt, and tons of rosemary. Seared them on each side, and put into the braising liquid. Braising liquid: Blackstone Merlot, unsalted beef stock, 5 garlic cloves peeled, and cut in half, and 2 dried kaffir lime leaves to fish out later.

Your mama eats like a Queen!

On the subject of recipes, I have a final today. It consists of writing two poems in Anishinaabemowin that we have to read in class. (Ugh). And a potluck! Since almost everyone else in class lives in the dorms and can't bring real food, I volunteered to bring a couple of things. Ookwemin miniiwa manoomin bakwezhiganens (cherry and wild rice cookies) and waawashkesh miniiwa manoomin (venison and wild rice) in a mini-crockpot.

I love me some food finals. lol

Yes, it is good. Early spring is the best time to get it around where I live. Towards the end of summer it becomes tough. Glad you like it!
The foodies caught on to it over here, so I'm glad that we were well ahead of the curve.

Sent from my Lenovo K8 using Tapatalk

Back