Jade's Recipe Exchange.

Congo Bars

1 lb brown sugar
2/3 cup melted oleo (yes, I'm old school)
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together in a large mixing bowl.

Add:
2 3/4 cup SR flour
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Stir until well incorporated. Batter will be very stiff. Spread in a greased (I use Pam or Canola spray) 9 x 13 pan and bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.

My brother always asked for theses instead of a cake for his birthday.

Congo Bars

1 lb brown sugar
2/3 cup melted oleo (yes, I'm old school)
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together in a large mixing bowl.

Add:
2 3/4 cup SR flour
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Stir until well incorporated. Batter will be very stiff. Spread in a greased (I use Pam or Canola spray) 9 x 13 pan and bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.

My brother always asked for theses instead of a cake for his birthday.

Thanks for posting. My mom used to call margarine "oleo" -- are they the same thing? She baked with Crisco/vegetable shortening rather than butter, I guess because of cost.

Scooby Snacks

I usually buy Scooby Snacks from the store (I mean, who wouldn't like a cracker shaped like a dog bone?)....but I am keen to bake some up homemade!
11745.jpg

Scooby Snacks Recipe
2 cups flour
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup coca
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla

Instructions

Preheat an oven to 350F.
Mix all the ingredients together.
Taste the batter and adjust sugar and butter according to taste.
Pour the cookie batter into bone shaped moulds and bake for 10 minutes until golden.
Store in an airtight container.

I usually buy Scooby Snacks from the store (I mean, who wouldn't like a cracker shaped like a dog bone?)....but I am keen to bake some up homemade!
11745.jpg

Scooby Snacks Recipe
2 cups flour
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup coca
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla

Instructions

Preheat an oven to 350F.
Mix all the ingredients together.
Taste the batter and adjust sugar and butter according to taste.
Pour the cookie batter into bone shaped moulds and bake for 10 minutes until golden.
Store in an airtight container.

Cool! I bet our neighbors' dogs would love this. Thanks for posting.

My middle daughter is a vet tech/vet nurse. She also has a PT baking business. She makes dog treats for gifts that are super cute. I'll have to see if this is the recipe she uses.

Seems the best kept secrets never stay secret long.
Oh no doubt. I’ve been making killer braised meat dishes for years from cheap cuts. The foodies found out and now their not cheap cuts anymore. Lamb Shanks used to be cheap. In season I could get four for about $10. I’d make a big pot of braised lamb shanks. The foodies found out and now a single shank cost $10. Beef short ribs and oxtails the same thing. It wasn’t that long ago I could feed about six people on $10 beef short ribs. That would feed two now.

One of these days there going to find out about country ribs, soup bones, chicken and pigs feet and I’ll be out of tricks.

Last edited:
Cool! I bet our neighbors' dogs would love this. Thanks for posting.

My middle daughter is a vet tech/vet nurse. She also has a PT baking business. She makes dog treats for gifts that are super cute. I'll have to see if this is the recipe she uses.

Probably not with all that sugar, and cocoa. Those Scooby snacks are just a witty snack food for people.

Oh no doubt. I’ve been making killer braised meat dishes for years from cheap cuts. The foodies found out and now their not cheap cuts anymore. Lamb Shanks used to be cheap. In season I could get four for about $10. I’d make a big pot of braised lamb shanks. The foodies found out and now a single shank cost $10. Beef short ribs and oxtails the same thing. It wasn’t that long ago I could feed about six people on $10 beef short ribs. That would feed two now.

One of these days there going to find out about country ribs, soup bones, chicken and pigs feet and I’ll be out of tricks.

Same with chicken wings some years ago. They used to be ridiculously cheap and perfect for families with little kids who couldn't eat an entire chicken leg or thigh or breast. I would get a large package of them for $4-5 that would make two meals for the six of us. I think they were something like 29 cents/lb.

Same with chicken wings some years ago. They used to be ridiculously cheap and perfect for families with little kids who couldn't eat an entire chicken leg or thigh or breast. I would get a large package of them for $4-5 that would make two meals for the six of us. I think they were something like 29 cents/lb.
Oh that used to be my potluck go to dish. I’d make a super rich chicken stock with frozen chicken wings and make the noodles myself for chicken and noodles. I could make a big pot for like $3.00.

I do the same thing. Do you keep chicken or any other roast carcass to make stock? I keep mine in the freezer and when I have enough to make it worthwhile, I start the process and freeze the stock to enhance whatever. I also keep rendered fats for further use. Not just because I am very frugal, but because it is so good.

I do the same thing. Do you keep chicken or any other roast carcass to make stock? I keep mine in the freezer and when I have enough to make it worthwhile, I start the process and freeze the stock to enhance whatever. I also keep rendered fats for further use. Not just because I am very frugal, but because it is so good.

It *is* good and healthier (in moderation) than using processed oils/fats. I make my own chicken/turkey/beef stock from bones. My favorite is the chicken stock made from a smoked chicken carcass.

I used to do that but fortunately my local markets carry items like soup bones, chicken feet, pigs feet, etc,. So I don't have to save stock bones. I rarely save the smaltz anymore other than maybe a tbsp. or so to add some flavor to a dish but I try to eat heart healthy so most of it gets pitched. I do save left over stock but more often as not when I make a batch it pretty much gets used up in what ever dish I'm making. Except Pho. Whenever I make Pho I often end up with twice as much stock as I needed. I don't worry about saving extra stock it as it's so easy to make and I have limited freezer space.

Speaking of braising I made what we call cowboy beans or frijoles charros down south. Cowboy beans is really more a method as a recipe. Kind of like Gumbo. I made mine with country ribs, stew beef and diced ham. I added some jalepno, bell and pablano peppers , fresh tomatoes and tomitlos and the usual herbs and spices except my secret ingredient is a couple of packets of Goya seasoning.

Speaking of braising I made what we call cowboy beans or frijoles charros down south. Cowboy beans is really more a method as a recipe. Kind of like Gumbo. I made mine with country ribs, stew beef and diced ham. I added some jalepno, bell and pablano, fresh tomatoes and tomitlos and the usual herbs and spices except my secret ingredient is a couple of packets of Goya seasoning.
What about those pickled duck embryos, do you braise them?

Sent from my Lenovo K8 using Tapatalk

Speaking of beans. Mung beans are quickly becoming a favorite. If you have an asian market nearby buy a pack of mung beans, taro leaves (spinach works), string beans (green beans work) , fish sauce, chicken bouillon (knorr works), garlic and onion and 1 kilo of chicken (half a chicken).

Soak beans overnight. Cut chicken into bite size pieces and brown in pot with a little oil. Add onion and garlic and cook till fragrant. Add rest of ingredients, except string beans and spinach, and cover with an inch of water add a little salt, pepper and 1tbs fish sauce. Bring to boil, cover and reduce to simmer for 1.5 hours or until beans are tender. Add string beans and spinach and let cook till tender. Serve on rice...preferably Thai Jasmine rice.

This is the Filipino version. To make it Thai style dice enough hot peppers to make it spicy and1/2 tsp tumeric. Add those when you sautee the onion and garlic. When finished cooking stir in one can of coconut milk.

This another recipe where a bag of frozen chicken wings come in handy. I use chicken thighs with the skin and fat removed to make it heart healthy. This is a great pot luck dish. Cheap, easy and tasty, as well as being a complete nutritious and healthy meal.

Last edited:
Back