Jade's Recipe Exchange.

BTW, since we're talking recipes here, a little announcement. I was hired recently as a free-lance writer for one of the country's largest-circulation food/cooking magazines. Woo-hoo! My first article was accepted last week! Double woo-hoo!

Every Friday we're invited to pitch story ideas to the editors, who then brain storm them on Mondays. Topics are chosen and then assignments are tossed out there, that we can accept or ignore. Hope you don't mind if sometimes I ask to pick yer brains.... and of course all due credit will be given. Thanking you gourmets in advance!

I'm not going to publicly state the name of this periodical due to some stalking issues related to a toxic slimeball from the old Amazon forums. If you'd like to know it, just send me a PM.
Please, I’d like to know! Congrats! I have a feeling you will do great!

I remember how bad that city was slammed during the 2004 earthquake and tsumanis. The name looks funny to us but it was not fun times for those ppl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake_and_tsunami
Actually Phuket city was left untouched due to being on the east side of Phuket Island. It was the south west that received the brunt of the tsunami, particularly beach resorts like Patong and Kamala. Also the Phi Phi islands were devastated.

Sent from my Lenovo K8 using Tapatalk

I would love your pho recipe!
LOL I don't really have one. Pho is like on one of those foods where there's a zillion and one ways to make it. I'd suggest just watching some youtube videos on Pho recipes to get the school of the big idea. Some tips I would give you. Don't by pass parboiling the meat and stock bones step. You want a clear broth. You can buy the Pho seasonings at your Asian market. They come is a plastic packet with a spice bag. You pan roast the spices, pour them in the bag, tie the bag and toss it into the stock. There are many quick cook Pho recipes. Don't use them. You want to simmer the stock for at least 6 hours.

When I make the stock I use beef soup bones, about 2 lbs of oxtail and about 2 lbs of chuck roast. I remove the chuck roast after a couple of hours, immerse it in cold water to stop the cooking then slice it into thin slices. I add the thin slices of cooked beef and a few ox tails when building the bowl of soup. If you have a significant fat layer after cooking you want to remove most of it.

So making the stock is the most important part. The rest you can play with. Like I said, watch some Youtube videos as this is a recipe that's hard to write down.

It is heavenly delicious though and well worth the effort. And like most soups....even Asian meal in a bowl noodle soups, it goes great with a sandwich. Preferably a Banh Mi.

Actually Phuket city was left untouched due to being on the east side of Phuket Island. It was the south west that received the brunt of the tsunami, particularly beach resorts like Patong and Kamala. Also the Phi Phi islands were devastated.

I saw videos of cleaning up the aftermath as training for disaster preparedness. I think I speak for everyone of my classmates when I say those videos will haunt me till the day I die. The interesting thing is that in Phuket most of the deaths were Western Tourist at the beach resorts.

I saw videos of cleaning up the aftermath as training for disaster preparedness. I think I speak for everyone of my classmates when I say those videos will haunt me till the day I die. The interesting thing is that in Phuket most of the deaths were Western Tourist at the beach resorts.
I have been to Phuket several times, including a couple of years after the tsunami. They cleaned up Patong and Kamala very quickly but you could see places where the aftermath was still apparent.

LOL I don't really have one. Pho is like on one of those foods where there's a zillion and one ways to make it. I'd suggest just watching some youtube videos on Pho recipes to get the school of the big idea. Some tips I would give you. Don't by pass parboiling the meat and stock bones step. You want a clear broth. You can buy the Pho seasonings at your Asian market. They come is a plastic packet with a spice bag. You pan roast the spices, pour them in the bag, tie the bag and toss it into the stock. There are many quick cook Pho recipes. Don't use them. You want to simmer the stock for at least 6 hours.

When I make the stock I use beef soup bones, about 2 lbs of oxtail and about 2 lbs of chuck roast. I remove the chuck roast after a couple of hours, immerse it in cold water to stop the cooking then slice it into thin slices. I add the thin slices of cooked beef and a few ox tails when building the bowl of soup. If you have a significant fat layer after cooking you want to remove most of it.

So making the stock is the most important part. The rest you can play with. Like I said, watch some Youtube videos as this is a recipe that's hard to write down.

It is heavenly delicious though and well worth the effort. And like most soups....even Asian meal in a bowl noodle soups, it goes great with a sandwich. Preferably a Banh Mi.
Thanks, I have become a big fan of some great pho, a little place in Anchorage on Spenard Road introduced me. I have been told the bone broth is the key.

I decided to make my family, and friends cookies, and homemade soap this year for Christmas. Owls can say if they're any good, but I'll leave the recipes.

https://www.thanksgiving.com/recipes/dessert-recipes/soft-and-chewy-pumpkin-snickerdoodle-cookies

With this recipe I messed up a little, and the butter melted slightly. It had all the flavor but lost a little bulk, from churned butter: https://www.galonamission.com/andes...gn=yummly&utm_medium=yummly&utm_source=yummly

https://aseasyasapplepie.com/easy-lemon-crinkle-cookies/

With this recipe I used my own extracts, and doubled the amount. I made one each with Jasmine, Spearmint, and coffee (with added half, and half, and Monin macadamia nut syrup). I also made one with a black cherry flavor oil: https://javacupcake.com/2015/05/kaleidoscope-cookies/

Last edited:
The word actually refers to the flat noodles, not the soup. In Vietnam if you just ask for phở, you will most likely get phở bò (beef with noodles).

Though I love Pho Bo....I like Filipino Bulalo even better. It just has a beefier flavor. All the spices in Pho bo tends to cover up the beef flavor.

bulalo-recipe.1024x1024.jpg

I like to add some Tom Yum paste, my d-i-l was horrfied at first but loves it now.
I'm horrified at the thought too. LOL

My wife like to eat that stuff by the jarful with green mangos and I can't get it through to her that eating that much of it is not exactly healthy. (It's called bagoong in the Phils).

Back