Jade's Recipe Exchange.

This place.

2764659744_29ddf3e8f3_m.jpg

58d05a82c60a8.image.jpg
Nice!

I sure am enjoying mine. In my neck of the woods, less pricey units are Green Mountain Grills. Similar smoker, but less expensive. One can also get a WiFi version so that you can monitor and set your temperature from your smart phone. Camp Chef is another brand. So is Pit Boss. I think they are all a little less rugged than the Traeger and have a couple fewer options.

My Traeger comes with two temperature probes to insert in the meat. Kinda handy, but one can get similar probes that work external to the smoker.
We are novices, just learning and experimenting. We are smoking a turkey today.

I sure am enjoying mine. In my neck of the woods, less pricey units are Green Mountain Grills. Similar smoker, but less expensive. One can also get a WiFi version so that you can monitor and set your temperature from your smart phone. Camp Chef is another brand. So is Pit Boss. I think they are all a little less rugged than the Traeger and have a couple fewer options.

My Traeger comes with two temperature probes to insert in the meat. Kinda handy, but one can get similar probes that work external to the smoker.

Heheheheh.... when you're too lazy to go outside and look.

You'll have to instruct me about Brussels Sprouts; I've only roasted them once, and they were bitter.

Turnips, squash, onions, yams, potatoes, garlic, carrots -- olive oil, kosher salt, fresh rosemary. Oh yeah.

Hmm. Mostly I just use olive oil, sea salt and a little garlic.

I'm a "non-taster" so they don't seem bitter to me.

I ate some really good ones over Thanksgiving and will try to get the recipe and post it. It had glazed walnuts in it.

You'll have to instruct me about Brussels Sprouts; I've only roasted them once, and they were bitter.

Turnips, squash, onions, yams, potatoes, garlic, carrots -- olive oil, kosher salt, fresh rosemary. Oh yeah.
Did you halve them and cut the stem out? I braise them in a little wine till tender and the wine is mostly evaporated and then I add some butter and cook them on high till they have a nice sear. They’re good cooked in bacon fat too but hey...what isn’t?

Last edited:
Did you halve them and cut the stem out? I braise them in a little wine till tender and the wine is mostly evaporated and then I add some butter and cook them on high till they have a nice sear. They’re good cooked in bacon fat too but hey...what isn’t?

No, I had the frozen kind and steamed them. Very bitter, disappointing. I was hoping that since they look like tiny cabbages, that they would be sweet like cabbage. Is it leaving the stem/core in that makes them bitter? Cabbage cores are bitter-tasting.

No, I had the frozen kind and steamed them. Very bitter, disappointing. I was hoping that since they look like tiny cabbages, that they would be sweet like cabbage. Is it leaving the stem/core in that makes them bitter? Cabbage cores are bitter-tasting.

I just cook them in the juicy of whatever meat I'm cooking.

Roasted veggies are my favorites.

I take green onions, put 'em on a charcoal grill, spritz them with olive oil spray, and a light sprinkle of Lawry's coarse ground garlic salt with parsley. I use a Weber with the lid on, cook them for a minute or two tops. They're a great appetizer while you're grilling.

I take green onions, put 'em on a charcoal grill, spritz them with olive oil spray, and a light sprinkle of Lawry's coarse ground garlic salt with parsley. I use a Weber with the lid on, cook them for a minute or two tops. They're a great appetizer while you're grilling.

Sounds great, bet they're nice and crunchy.

If you like green onions, they're awesome. My wife makes these things with green onions wrapped in cream cheese and prosciutto or other Italian meats. I'll see if I can get her to come up with a recipe of sorts.

I'll send her a Widow Maker Ale if she does. lol

Yea their not like peas. You want to defrost them and steaming or boiling Brussel sprouts brings out the sulfur compounds that can give them their notorious reputation. It also gives them a mushy or slimy texture. Brussel sprouts are usually best when you use a high temp cooking method like pan searing or broiling. Cutting out the stem makes them cook quicker and reduces the bitterness.

I used to cook wild ramps that way when I went fishing.

Back