Jade's Recipe Exchange.

Raisins with olive, onion, potato, tomato, green pepper, and cilantro? No thanks, I like mine clean.

(shaking head) That IS clean. It's a 'nacatamal', a little more hearty than some run-of-the-mill 'Tamale'.

It has the Masa and the pork or chicken, but then it's loaded down with all the 'extra' ingredients. Potato, rice, Garbanzo beans, green olives, raisins, etc. Notice it's wrapped in Banana Leaf? That gives it a distinct taste, difficult to describe, ... flat, bland, unique, very subtle ... but a HUGE plus!

Because it's dropped down to 40 and beginning to rain, I've made a decision.
I'm going to go to that little Honduran Store and buy 4 chicken nacatamales and eat two of them.
Naturally, I like mine with Tabasco Sauce.

God! Just thinking about those things makes my mouth water.

With the cooler weather in the morning, i can go out and cold smoke a few pounds of cheese. I get the cheapest cuts I can. Cheddar, mozzarella, pepper jack, and turn them into gourmet cheese. Great gifts for friends.

Trying something new tonight. A trial run before Thanksgiving.

I made a traditional dressing. Bread cubes, sauteed onion and celery, poultry seasoning, eggs and chicken broth. Rather than just baking in the oven, I'm putting it on the smoker at 180 for an hour. Then I'll bring it in and finish it in the oven. We'll see what that smoke adds to the flavor. About 45 minutes to go.

With the cooler weather in the morning, i can go out and cold smoke a few pounds of cheese. I get the cheapest cuts I can. Cheddar, mozzarella, pepper jack, and turn them into gourmet cheese. Great gifts for friends.

You smoke cheese? I've had that before -- it's amazing -- but it never occurred to me that you could make it yourself. Details, por favor?

You smoke cheese? I've had that before -- it's amazing -- but it never occurred to me that you could make it yourself. Details, por favor?

Easy. One can do it in their BBQ grill if they wanted.

You cold smoke cheese. Smoke tubes, mine is an Amaze-something, are filled with the appropriate smoking pellets and ignited. I cut a block of cheese in 4 or 5 smaller blocks. The smoke tube is placed at one end, the cheese at the other. I smoke for 2-3 hours and then seal the cheese in a vacuum sealer or tightly wrapped wax paper in a zip lock.

Let them age for 3-4 weeks and you have gourmet smoked cheese from even the cheapest blocks. This time I did sharp cheddar and pepper jack.

Last edited:
Awesome! So how exactly did you put it in the smoker? Obviously *in* something.... did you spread it out over a flat sheet? Have it in a bowl and stir now and then? The smoker didn't dry it out?

In a pan that has open holes. Williams Sonoma has a lot. Like a veggie pan.

Do the regular dressing recipe and smoke at 180 for 2 hours.

I smoke almonds and walnuts in the same manner. Just use a spice mix first, then smoke, then toast at 300 for 20-30 minutes

Last edited:
Making ice cream tonight.

One batch of vanilla. One batch of maple walnut.

Tomorrow, butterfinger crunch and maybe mint chocolate chip.

You cold smoke cheese. Smoke tubes, mine is an Amaze-something, are filled with the appropriate smoking pellets and ignited. I cut a block of cheese in 4 or 5 smaller blocks. The smoke tube is placed at one end, the cheese at the other. I smoke for 2-3 hours and then seal the cheese in a vacuum sealer or tightly wrapped wax paper in a zip lock.

Let them age for 3-4 weeks and you have gourmet smoked cheese from even the cheapest blocks. This time I did sharp cheddar and pepper jack.

That sounds great. Never heard of the smoke tube; will look it up. Thanks!

Boise, Idaho.

:laugh:

Sperling Comfort Index/Crime Rate

Boise - 7.3/16.3
Orlando - 6.7/44.1
Jacksonville - 7.2/33.9
New Orleans - 6.6/73.8
Houston - 6.7/50.4
Charlotte - 7.5/64.5
Miami - 6.4/48.8
Dallas - 7.1/37.0
Atlanta - 7.6/50.9
Memphis - 7.0/85.7
Little Rock - 7.0/72.1
Raleigh - 7.5/20.3
Montgomery - 7.3/33.9

Sperling Comfort Index/Crime Rate

Boise - 7.3/16.3
Orlando - 6.7/44.1
Jacksonville - 7.2/33.9
New Orleans - 6.6/73.8
Houston - 6.7/50.4
Charlotte - 7.5/64.5
Miami - 6.4/48.8
Dallas - 7.1/37.0
Atlanta - 7.6/50.9
Memphis - 7.0/85.7
Little Rock - 7.0/72.1
Raleigh - 7.5/20.3
Montgomery - 7.3/33.9

Want to do a demographic comparison of some of those places?

:laugh:

I didn't theen so, lucy.

Just wanted to tell you that I put that smoker tube/pellets on my Santa list this year. Since I talked up the deliciousness of having smoked thingies even in the winter, got a feeling that Santa will be generous. ;~)

In a pan that has open holes. Williams Sonoma has a lot. Like a veggie pan.

Do the regular dressing recipe and smoke at 180 for 2 hours.

I smoke almonds and walnuts in the same manner. Just use a spice mix first, then smoke, then toast at 300 for 20-30 minutes

Mr. Owl got me the smoker tube for Yule... love it so far. The first time I put out some raw salmon filets, plus a pork tenderloin that I had marinated in teriyaki, garlic, pepper. Then finished them (on separate days) in the oven. Superb! Thanks so much for this recommendation.

Back