Jade's Recipe Exchange.

Mr. Owl got me the smoker tube for Yule... love it so far. The first time I put out some raw salmon filets, plus a pork tenderloin that I had marinated in teriyaki, garlic, pepper. Then finished them (on separate days) in the oven. Superb! Thanks so much for this recommendation.

Be careful with it. Those tubes put out A LOT of smoke and one can over smoke if you’re not too careful.

I generally don’t go over 2 hours

Be careful with it. Those tubes put out A LOT of smoke and one can over smoke if you’re not too careful.

I generally don’t go over 2 hours

Thanks. Yeah, two hours was what I gave them. Too much for the salmon but just right for the pork. Going to do a whole roasting chicken in there next. I'm happy to still be able to do smoked goodies even in deep winter! Can't do that with the electric smoker.

I don't know if you're interested in making your own broth or not. After we've eaten the whole chicken and I've cut the remaining meat off, I throw the bones/skin/fat in a stock pot and simmer it for hours. You can add veggies and seasonings if you like. Then I strain the liquid and put it in Mason jars, and freeze it. Makes amazing base for soups, cooking noodles or potatoes. Tuna casserole with noodles cooked in smoky broth is great.

Thanks. Yeah, two hours was what I gave them. Too much for the salmon but just right for the pork. Going to do a whole roasting chicken in there next. I'm happy to still be able to do smoked goodies even in deep winter! Can't do that with the electric smoker.

I don't know if you're interested in making your own broth or not. After we've eaten the whole chicken and I've cut the remaining meat off, I throw the bones/skin/fat in a stock pot and simmer it for hours. You can add veggies and seasonings if you like. Then I strain the liquid and put it in Mason jars, and freeze it. Makes amazing base for soups, cooking noodles or potatoes. Tuna casserole with noodles cooked in smoky broth is great.

Oh yeah. I never let a chicken or turkey carcass go to waste. I always try to boil the carcass, pick off whatever meat is left and use it for soups. Right after Thanksgiving was always may kids' favorite time because they knew homemade turkey noodle soup was soon to follow. Started with Grandma, to my wife, and now my daughter.

Oh yeah. I never let a chicken or turkey carcass go to waste. I always try to boil the carcass, pick off whatever meat is left and use it for soups. Right after Thanksgiving was always may kids' favorite time because they knew homemade turkey noodle soup was soon to follow. Started with Grandma, to my wife, and now my daughter.

Nothing like from-scratch real food, is there?

Nothing like from-scratch real food, is there?

I made a chicken-bacon-ranch pizza the other night. I confess to using a pre-made pizza crust, though. Pretty good, but next time, I'll try my own dough.

Made the Ranch dressing, cubed up leftover chicken, fried up some bacon and lightly sauteed an onion in the grease, grated my cold smoked mozzarella and tossed on a couple of sliced Roma tomatoes. That easy. MAN, WAS IT GOOD!

I made a chicken-bacon-ranch pizza the other night. I confess to using a pre-made pizza crust, though. Pretty good, but next time, I'll try my own dough.

Made the Ranch dressing, cubed up leftover chicken, fried up some bacon and lightly sauteed an onion in the grease, grated my cold smoked mozzarella and tossed on a couple of sliced Roma tomatoes. That easy. MAN, WAS IT GOOD!

Sounds like!

Have you ever made your own vanilla extract? Mr. Owl got me a small pkg of vanilla beans for Yule. Am soaking them in vodka. It takes 6-12 months or so; the longer you soak them, the better the vanilla. That stuff is so expensive to buy already-made. The beans are expensive too but for the price you can make about 10x what it costs in the store.

Sounds like!

Have you ever made your own vanilla extract? Mr. Owl got me a small pkg of vanilla beans for Yule. Am soaking them in vodka. It takes 6-12 months or so; the longer you soak them, the better the vanilla. That stuff is so expensive to buy already-made. The beans are expensive too but for the price you can make about 10x what it costs in the store.

Never have done that. Sounds interesting. Vanilla is expensive and I use quite a bit.

My dad used to make home made Kahlua with vanilla beans. It was not bad at all.

Never have done that. Sounds interesting. Vanilla is expensive and I use quite a bit.

My dad used to make home made Kahlua with vanilla beans. It was not bad at all.

Well, the beans are soaking, so check back in 6-12 months and I'll let you know. lol

Sometimes, the simplest is the best.

In the Instant Pot, just threw in 3 huge chicken breasts plus chicken broth, seasoning salt, Italian seasoning and pepper. That's all. Cook for 10 minutes and shred.

I'll have that chicken for salads, pizza, in my leftover veggie soup, wraps, burritos, with black beans, etc. Meals for a week!

Back