Jade's Recipe Exchange.

I've been thinking of trying a Borscht recipe. I've found a couple, but don't know enough. These are two I was looking at.

http://secondactkitchen.com/2015513...gn=yummly&utm_medium=yummly&utm_source=yummly

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/...gn=yummly&utm_medium=yummly&utm_source=yummly

The first one looks authentically Slavic too me.
I have never seen the second recipe in a Russian kitchen - what with the kale, berries, and lemon juice - but it sounds good!

I would grind most of it up and mix it up with ground pork and seasoning and make sausage. Last time I had boar meat it was tough and gamey.

I took the plunge and cut off a slice, salt/pepper, fried it in some olive oil. Wasn't very gamy at all, more a very clean fresh pork with a hint of wild. Hard to describe, but good.

Braising in red wine would probably work too. I’d try braising it with mirepoix, diced tomatoes, mustard, brown sugar, cracked red pepper,S&P, sage and some liquid smoke.

The brine I am using is similar to this, but with some thyme and bay leave, no liquid smoke.

I took the plunge and cut off a slice, salt/pepper, fried it in some olive oil. Wasn't very gamy at all, more a very clean fresh pork with a hint of wild. Hard to describe, but good.
The brine I am using is similar to this, but with some thyme and bay leave, no liquid smoke.

Are you going to fix the whole thing, or cut it up and freeze for later?

I'm planning a feast to invite the neighbors.

Mains:
Red wine braised short ribs.
Boiled chicken with beer, and spices.
Sausages
Garlic soup.
Cheesy potatoes.
Salad
Cornbread

Dessert:
Dark chocolate raspberry upside-down cake.
Ice cream.

Drinks:
Pop.
Beer.
Brandy.

I'm planning a feast to invite the neighbors.

Mains:
Red wine braised short ribs.
Boiled chicken with beer, and spices.
Sausages
Garlic soup.
Cheesy potatoes.
Salad
Cornbread

Dessert:
Dark chocolate raspberry upside-down cake.
Ice cream.

Drinks:
Pop.
Beer.
Brandy.
Try doing this with the short ribs. Cook some polenta and pour it onto a cookie sheet and spread it out about an inch thick and let cool. Once cooled cut polenta into 4x4” squares then pan fry the squares in olive oil. Place a square on a plate, add a rib, drizzle with sauce and garnish with parsley.

Try doing this with the short ribs. Cook some polenta and pour it onto a cookie sheet and spread it out about an inch thick and let cool. Once cooled cut polenta into 4x4” squares then pan fry the squares in olive oil. Place a square on a plate, add a rib, drizzle with sauce and garnish with parsley.

Mom has grown to really like the way I've made short ribs the last couple time. That might work, but I think I'd avoid frying it, since that might make it more difficult for Mom to eat. Making polenta, or grits does sound like a good idea though. Not much chewing needed with that.

Mushroom risotto.

Note: this is a lot of work but worth it. Any mushrooms will work but dried mushrooms work best and I recommend dried Morels, Chantrels or Porcinis in that order.

2 cups arborio rice
2tbs olive oil
1 stick butter
1 minced shallots
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1-2oz of dried mushrooms covered in boiling water to reconstitute.
1quart chicken stock
1 cup Parmesan Regiano cheese
1/2 cup frozen peas

To a large sauce pan add olive oil, half the stick of butter and heat add rice and cook on medium high while stirring for five to seven minutes. This is an important step as by converting the starches is how your risotto achieves its creamy texture. Keep cooking and stirring the rice until the rice grain turn from translucent to opaque.

Add shallots and garlic to rice and stir till fragrant then add hot stock a half cup at a time. Stir vigorously until stock is mostly absorbed then add another half cup.

Once you’ve added enough stock to cook the rice al dente (about 30-40 minutes and about a quart of stock) remove the mushrooms from the liquid (reserve liquid), dice and stir into risotto. Strain mushroom liquid and stir into risotto. Then add the peas, stir those into the risotto for a couple of minutes then last add the remainder of the butter and Parm.

Serve immediately. This is awesome with grilled Salmon or braised beef recipes.

Here’s a good video on making risotto. Note how vigorously he stirs. This is important but be careful as it will burn the heck out of you.

I am not a big fan of risotto, it reminds me of baby food. Now kedgeree is the dog's bollocks, proper grown up food. I prefer brown rice or even Thai red rice but that's me.

Ingredients

50g butter

1 medium onion, finely chopped

3 cardamom pods, split open

¼ tsp turmeric

1 small cinnamon stick

2 fresh bay leaves or 1 dried

450g basmati rice

1 litre/1¾ pints chicken stock or fish stock, ideally fresh

750g un-dyed smoked haddock fillet

3 eggs

3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

1 lemon, cut into wedges, to garnish

Method

Melt the butter in a large saucepan (about 20cm across), add the onion and cook gently over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until softened but not browned. Stir in the cardamom pods, turmeric, cinnamon stick and bay leaves, then cook for 1 minute.

Tip in the rice and stir until it is all well coated in the spicy butter. Pour in the stock, add 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and bring to the boil, stir once to release any rice from the bottom of the pan. Cover with a closefitting lid, reduce the heat to low and leave to cook very gently for 12 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring some water to the boil in a large shallow pan. Add the smoked haddock and simmer for 4 minutes, until the fish is just cooked. Lift it out on to a plate and leave until cool enough to handle. Hard-boil the eggs for 8 minutes. Flake the fish, discarding any skin and bones. Drain the eggs, cool slightly, then peel and chop.

Uncover the rice and remove the bay leaves, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods if you wish to. Gently fork in the fish and the chopped eggs, cover again and return to the heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the fish has heated through. Gently stir in almost all the parsley, and season with a little salt and black pepper to taste. Serve scattered with the remaining parsley and garnished with lemon wedges.

Sent from my Lenovo K8 using Tapatalk

Sentimental moment last night, made bread in my mom’s bread machine, this is my first Christmas without her, it’s been a bittersweet Christmas.

Sentimental moment last night, made bread in my mom’s bread machine, this is my first Christmas without her, it’s been a bittersweet Christmas.

How lovely though, to remember her this way by creating food (and memories) as she did for you.

My husband lost his mother in May. I have her set of mixing bowls, so for his birthday used one of them to make him his requested birthday pie. It was almost like she was here again.

Mom has grown to really like the way I've made short ribs the last couple time. That might work, but I think I'd avoid frying it, since that might make it more difficult for Mom to eat. Making polenta, or grits does sound like a good idea though. Not much chewing needed with that.
I don't think it would make it more difficult but braised short ribs are indeed good with plain palenta or stone ground grits (not the instant kind).

Back