Jade's Recipe Exchange.

How lovely though, to remember her this way by creating food (and memories) as she did for you.

My husband lost his mother in May. I have her set of mixing bowls, so for his birthday used one of them to make him his requested birthday pie. It was almost like she was here again.
Thanks Owl, sorry for your loss!

I am not a big fan of risotto, it reminds me of baby food. Now kedgeree is the dog's bollocks, proper grown up food. I prefer brown rice or even Thai red rice but that's me.

Ingredients

50g butter

1 medium onion, finely chopped

3 cardamom pods, split open

¼ tsp turmeric

1 small cinnamon stick

2 fresh bay leaves or 1 dried

450g basmati rice

1 litre/1¾ pints chicken stock or fish stock, ideally fresh

750g un-dyed smoked haddock fillet

3 eggs

3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

1 lemon, cut into wedges, to garnish

Method

Melt the butter in a large saucepan (about 20cm across), add the onion and cook gently over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until softened but not browned. Stir in the cardamom pods, turmeric, cinnamon stick and bay leaves, then cook for 1 minute.

Tip in the rice and stir until it is all well coated in the spicy butter. Pour in the stock, add 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and bring to the boil, stir once to release any rice from the bottom of the pan. Cover with a closefitting lid, reduce the heat to low and leave to cook very gently for 12 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring some water to the boil in a large shallow pan. Add the smoked haddock and simmer for 4 minutes, until the fish is just cooked. Lift it out on to a plate and leave until cool enough to handle. Hard-boil the eggs for 8 minutes. Flake the fish, discarding any skin and bones. Drain the eggs, cool slightly, then peel and chop.

Uncover the rice and remove the bay leaves, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods if you wish to. Gently fork in the fish and the chopped eggs, cover again and return to the heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the fish has heated through. Gently stir in almost all the parsley, and season with a little salt and black pepper to taste. Serve scattered with the remaining parsley and garnished with lemon wedges.

Sent from my Lenovo K8 using Tapatalk
Is kedgeree known in the US, I am thinking not.

Sent from my Lenovo K8 using Tapatalk

Mom has spoken, and she thinks the garlic soup is doing too much. So I'm just having a cheese platter instead.

Everyone mostly likes cheese.

Our neighbors brought us over cookies and fresh-baked bread today.

Cheese with fruit, esp grapes, is so yummy. I just watched a program that featured some awesome nut recipe that might be a nice accompaniment for the cheese platter. Perhaps not good for Mom, but other guest might enjoy it.
2 cups walnuts or other nuts like pecans or almonds
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons ras el hanout (see recipe below)
Large pinch cayenne
1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon water

Sentimental moment last night, made bread in my mom’s bread machine, this is my first Christmas without her, it’s been a bittersweet Christmas.

My sincere condolences, Covfefe. I hope that the melancholy recollections will ultimately be outweighed by warm memories.

Sentimental moment last night, made bread in my mom’s bread machine, this is my first Christmas without her, it’s been a bittersweet Christmas.

Sorry, just catching on to this.
Let us celebrate the memories and the wonderful moments we shared with our loved ones. My heart goes out to you, knowing how smells, sounds, any little thing can bring back times past.
I lost my parents years ago and still recall so many memories. I think back and say "Mom did this", Mom loved this song", Dad insisted on...".
Friends and our very family went through hard times. I lost 2 sisters one after another, and a dear friend lost her husband. We do celebrate their lives, what impact they had on us. It is bittersweet.

Better put a warning sign on that ghost pepper stuff. It's not nice to kill your neighbors at Christmas time. lol

The neighbors are bigger chiliheads than me. They dried a huge batch of reaper, ghost, etc peppers, and ground it up to sprinkle on stuff. One of them likes to just munch on the dried chili's I got from Thailand. The peppers are called Prik Kaleang, in Thailand.

Last edited:
The neighbors are bigger chiliheads than me. They dried a huge batch of reaper, ghost, etc peppers, and ground it up to sprinkle on stuff. One of them likes to just munch on the dried chili's I got from Thailand. The peppers are called Prik Kaleang, in Thailand.

We grow Habaneros and Tabasco peppers, and we always make sauce. Most of our neighbors think we are wimps and "like the mild stuff".

We grow Habaneros and Tabasco peppers, and we always make sauce. Most of our neighbors think we are wimps and "like the mild stuff".

Well habanero is definitely not a pepper for wimps. The Red Savina held the record for worlds hottest several years back. In fact, all the ghost, 7 pod, naga morich, and reaper peppers, are habanero types. I'm growing brown 7 pods, peach habaneros, and maybe some other chili's, in a hydroponic garden. I'm hoping to use fresh chilis for my inferno chili, so I can perfect the recipe.

Last edited:

I tried to grow habaneros this past summer but they didn't do very well. Nice green bushy plant, lots of flowers. Got only half a dozen very tiny peppers with little to no heat to them, sayeth the Husband Unit (who likes that stuff). Got any tips for me on growing them?

I tried to grow habaneros this past summer but they didn't do very well. Nice green bushy plant, lots of flowers. Got only half a dozen very tiny peppers with little to no heat to them, sayeth the Husband Unit (who likes that stuff). Got any tips for me on growing them?

I have a hard enough time where I'm at. We haven't had warm enough summers. You can use an aerogrow garden, with grow your own pods, and grow chilis. They need to be at 65, 75 degrees to fruit any of the capsicum chinense varieties, and if it drops below fifty it can stunt growth, or keep it from fruiting. If you do it this way, you can't rely on bees, so you have to press your finger gently, flower to flower. I gave up trying outdoors with them, because even nursery stock chili's didn't do well. My growing region is 5, so it would be even more difficult for you.

Last edited:
Back