Jade's Recipe Exchange.

I have a hard enough time where I'm at. We haven't had warm enough summers. You can use an aerogrow garden, with grow your own pods, and grow chilis. They need to be at 65, 75 degrees to fruit any of the capsicum chinense varieties, and if it drops below fifty it can stunt growth, or keep it from fruiting. If you do it this way, you can't rely on bees, so you have to press your finger gently, flower to flower. I gave up trying outdoors with them, because even nursery stock chili's didn't do well. My growing region is 5, so it would be even more difficult for you.

Thanks. Yeah, here along the Lake we are Zone 5b (same as Iowa)... two miles inland they are Zone 4 to 3a. Even so, we don't have hot summers for the most part.

I also pollinate my peppers and tomatoes by hand. Weirdly, although the habaneros languished, the jalapenos produced a bumper crop. And the tomatoes! OMG. That was the largest harvest I have ever had in all the years of gardening. I started them from seed indoors (in the house) because we didn't get the hoop house up till May. I kept some in pots in the hoop house; the rest went out into the raised beds. It was kind of an experiment to see which would do better. The outdoor tomatoes did much better than the indoor ones. The jalapenos inside though did the best. So next year I'll try that habanero again, only this time he'll stay in the hoop house. It gets up to 90F in there with the door closed on a windless, sunny day. Peppers are happy then.

What kind of hydroponic set-up do you have?

Thanks. Yeah, here along the Lake we are Zone 5b (same as Iowa)... two miles inland they are Zone 4 to 3a. Even so, we don't have hot summers for the most part.

I also pollinate my peppers and tomatoes by hand. Weirdly, although the habaneros languished, the jalapenos produced a bumper crop. And the tomatoes! OMG. That was the largest harvest I have ever had in all the years of gardening. I started them from seed indoors (in the house) because we didn't get the hoop house up till May. I kept some in pots in the hoop house; the rest went out into the raised beds. It was kind of an experiment to see which would do better. The outdoor tomatoes did much better than the indoor ones. The jalapenos inside though did the best. So next year I'll try that habanero again, only this time he'll stay in the hoop house. It gets up to 90F in there with the door closed on a windless, sunny day. Peppers are happy then.

Jalapenos are capsicum annuum, and don't need the heat as much. We have an early version of an Aerogrow, and we are going to use these. http://www.aerogarden.com/seed-kits/grow-anything-kits.html

I tried to grow habaneros this past summer but they didn't do very well. Nice green bushy plant, lots of flowers. Got only half a dozen very tiny peppers with little to no heat to them, sayeth the Husband Unit (who likes that stuff). Got any tips for me on growing them?

Jade already posted some wonderful tips. In addition, you could plant the habaneros in a movable container so you can chase the sun. A sheltered warm spot is key. I remember Mom having a green wagon to move her plants about. I am not as dedicated.

Jade already posted some wonderful tips. In addition, you could plant the habaneros in a movable container so you can chase the sun. A sheltered warm spot is key. I remember Mom having a green wagon to move her plants about. I am not as dedicated.

The hoop house we have gets 8-10 hours of sun/day in the summer. Guess if we want some that's where they're going to have to live (or die lol).

This is funny. Well, in a sad way. I have cords stretched the length of the hoop house that I hung herbs, onions, and garlic on to dry. When we took the cover off to store for the winter, we accidentally left the gate open. The next morning all the dried herbs were gone -- the deer had helped themselves to the salad bar during the night.

Sentimental moment last night, made bread in my mom’s bread machine, this is my first Christmas without her, it’s been a bittersweet Christmas.

Sunshine, the spirit and memories of a loved one lost never die. They have been a true inspiration to me at life's darkest hours. You keep your mothers spirit going and pass it along to your children. It becomes never ending and that is a really good thing. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Jade, how did your neighborhood feast go? We went to our neighbors' for feasting and fun. It was 2F, blowing sideways snow, but cozy and happy inside. On the walk home the snow clouds lifted enough for a glimpse of the Lake. Hope you all have a wonderful holiday as well!

F1R4IYN.jpg

I tried to grow habaneros this past summer but they didn't do very well. Nice green bushy plant, lots of flowers. Got only half a dozen very tiny peppers with little to no heat to them, sayeth the Husband Unit (who likes that stuff). Got any tips for me on growing them?

Peppers like magnesium. A local company sells a product sprayed directly on the leaves and blossoms, when blossoming. From sea kelp. But you know what? A table spoon of Epsom Salts dissolved in water and sprayed, or even a teaspoon once a month helps. Magnesium sulfate.

A tomato blossom set later in the year might help retain blossoms until they turn to fruit.

Try peppers from plants rather than seed. Sometimes, the seed starting isn't as successful as buying the plant.

Peppers like magnesium. A local company sells a product sprayed directly on the leaves and blossoms, when blossoming. From sea kelp. But you know what? A table spoon of Epsom Salts dissolved in water and sprayed, or even a teaspoon once a month helps. Magnesium sulfate.

A tomato blossom set later in the year might help retain blossoms until they turn to fruit.

Thanks, will note that in my garden journal! Happy holidays, Domer.

Try peppers from plants rather than seed. Sometimes, the seed starting isn't as successful as buying the plant.

The habanero was purchased at a nursery. The plant was healthy and lush, loaded with blossoms, but only set four tiny pitiful fruits. Next year we'll keep him in the hoop house. Plus the magnesium.

Thanks, will note that in my garden journal! Happy holidays, Domer.

Speaking of family favorites, this is one we cook every Christmas/New Year for family and friends. I'm working on a batch right now and the house smells wonderful!

CHOSU (Chinese Pork and Seeds)

3-4 pounds boneless pork loin

MARINADE
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 TBL vinegar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2-3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup dry port wine
3 cloves garlic, minced

Cut pork into 3-4" wide sections and marinate in a ziplock bag at least over night. Cook on a rack at 350 with a pan of water underneath. Baste every 15 minutes. Cook about 60 minutes or until golden brown (about 170 inside temp).

To serve, slice and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Serve with hot Chinese mustard and toasted sesame seeds.

HOT MUSTARD
Add enough water of dark or amber beer to dry, powdered mustard to make a creamy sauce. Add a pinch of salt. Beer seems to make it hotter.

TOASTED SEEDS
Spread seeds on a large rimmed baking sheet and toast at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Or in a non-stick fry pan at medium, sirring frequently.

Speaking of family favorites, this is one we cook every Christmas/New Year for family and friends. I'm working on a batch right now and the house smells wonderful!

CHOSU (Chinese Pork and Seeds)

3-4 pounds boneless pork loin

MARINADE
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 TBL vinegar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2-3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup dry port wine
3 cloves garlic, minced

Cut pork into 3-4" wide sections and marinate in a ziplock bag at least over night. Cook on a rack at 350 with a pan of water underneath. Baste every 15 minutes. Cook about 60 minutes or until golden brown (about 170 inside temp).

To serve, slice and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Serve with hot Chinese mustard and toasted sesame seeds.

HOT MUSTARD
Add enough water of dark or amber beer to dry, powdered mustard to make a creamy sauce. Add a pinch of salt. Beer seems to make it hotter.

TOASTED SEEDS
Spread seeds on a large rimmed baking sheet and toast at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Or in a non-stick fry pan at medium, sirring frequently.

That sounds great (minus the hot mustard, lol). Thanks!

The wifey had to work today. Tonight, for dinner, ribeyes on the smoker.

Smoke at about 225 with hickory for an hour or so. When they get to be an internal temp of about 120, I'll remove them and reverse sear them on my regular grill set on a high temp. About 3 minutes per side. On the second flip, I'll add a TBL of green butter:

1 stick butter
1/2 tsp garlic
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 pinch white pepper
1 1/2 TBL chopped parsely

The wifey had to work today. Tonight, for dinner, ribeyes on the smoker.

Smoke at about 225 with hickory for an hour or so. When they get to be an internal temp of about 120, I'll remove them and reverse sear them on my regular grill set on a high temp. About 3 minutes per side. On the second flip, I'll add a TBL of green butter:

1 stick butter
1/2 tsp garlic
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 pinch white pepper
1 1/2 TBL chopped parsely

Lucky wife! You must live in a somewhat warmer place than we do. It's -2F right now and blowing snow. No grilling. No smoking. It's okay, we feasted on ham and turkey and sides and pie.

Back