Jade's Recipe Exchange.

I don't know if you have kids or siblings, but wouldn't having that printed out and made into an actual book make a wonderful gift?

The 1991 version was. We asked the extended family to submit their favorites to us. Along with any notes or comments about that recipe. By us, I mean my wife. She compiled those, along with the family tree at that time. Used WordPerfect, if I recall. It took months and months.

Finally, she took it to the printers and had the volumes bound. I don’t recall how many copies. A couple/few dozen. They were given as gifts.

Ours is now being held together by rubber bands. When I get it done, we’ll do the same. With the new additions. This software will allow us to have an index as well.

I made a cookbook for my kids, Groupon for one of those photo books, put pictures of family members who gave me recipe or the people whose favorite it was, like my dad and peanut brittle.

That is one of the most thoughtful and creative gifts I have ever heard of.

i%2527m%2Bout%2Bof%2Border.jpg

I have, it doesn’t make a difference in how moist your chicken is just taste preference, I’ve used a Budweiser, an Alaskan Amber and a Sassoon, all were delicious, a dark is next. No need to brine, but I do use a dry rub! The chicken is so moist and tender. It’s one of my favorite ways to do chicken!

I didn’t know there were thrones! Mine always stay up on their own.

Thanks for the advice on the brine and beers. I have heard both ways on the brine, one guy telling me it was absolutely necessary.

Thanks for the advice on the brine and beers. I have heard both ways on the brine, one guy telling me it was absolutely necessary.

A brine will take away from the beers effect on the meat in my opinion.

I actually made beer poached chicken for Christmas. No recipe, just going off flavor profiles, and experience from other recipes, and watching food shows all the time. I used several Red's blood orange beer, and added some chicken stock. Maybe close to 5 beers, and at least one carton of stock - up to two depending on how much you like your beer flavor. I added a lemon half minus the seeds, a bay leaf or two, and 3-4 Ceylon cinnamon sticks, and several grinds of fresh black pepper. Salt to taste if you don't use salted stock, and let your chicken sit covered in the pot, or in a couple gallon bags, and marinate in the fridge for awhile. Then I boil it till the meat is done, but still tender. It makes great shredded chicken, and I saved the strained broth for soups, or Ramen. The chicken you use is based on preference, but I used 4 large breasts, and 5 legs.

A brine will take away from the beers effect on the meat in my opinion.

I actually made beer poached chicken for Christmas. No recipe, just going off flavor profiles, and experience from other recipes, and watching food shows all the time. I used several Red's blood orange beer, and added some chicken stock. Maybe close to 5 beers, and at least one carton of stock - up to two depending on how much you like your beer flavor. I added a lemon half minus the seeds, a bay leaf or two, and 3-4 Ceylon cinnamon sticks, and several grinds of fresh black pepper. Salt to taste if you don't use salted stock, and let your chicken sit covered in the pot, or in a couple gallon bags, and marinate in the fridge for awhile. Then I boil it till the meat is done, but still tender. It makes great shredded chicken, and I saved the strained broth for soups, or Ramen. The chicken you use is based on preference, but I used 4 large breasts, and 5 legs.

I'm going to try the beer poached chicken. I copied your general guidelines.

Last night, I made the beer can chicken on the smoker. I used a nut brown ale and smoked with hickory at 225 until the breast temp was 165. It was incredible!

I served that with a side of rice and veggies roasted in the oven with a coating of olive oil and spices. Yum!

Last night, I made the beer can chicken on the smoker. I used a nut brown ale and smoked with hickory at 225 until the breast temp was 165. It was incredible!

I served that with a side of rice and veggies roasted in the oven with a coating of olive oil and spices. Yum!

Sounds amazing!

TURKISH DELIGHT (Not the desert)

Package of Filo Dough thawed. (If the package has two coils of dough…use just one. Keep the other frozen.)

Heat oven to 350 – 375.

Small Eggplant (diced, salted, and sweated.)
One large potato…sliced, cubed, chunked, or coarsely grated…lightly sautéed in olive oil.
Large leek…chopped and thoroughly washed.
One pound chopped meat…browned and drained.
One large mushroom finely diced and sautéed.
¾ cup Jarlsberg Cheese course grated.
Optional: garlic clove diced and added to the eggplant while sautéing.

Salt, black pepper or cayenne pepper to taste.

Dampening mixture: Cup and a half of milk, half cup olive oil, one beaten egg, beaten together.

Sauté the eggplant ‘til edges brown; sauté the potato; sauté the mushrooms…you can do these in separate frying pans or one. If in one, potatoes first, add eggplant then add mushrooms (and minced garlic if you choose). In a large fry pan (I use a wok) brown the meat…and drain.**

Integrate everything (into the wok) and just let simmer for one minute. Add a spoonful of water to aid in the integration if necessary. Remove from heat and add the cheese. Mix thoroughly.

*(I lightly spice each ingredient separately before integration.)

Butter an 8 x 8 glass oven container thoroughly…and then start putting about a half of the filo dough along the bottom and around the sides. Take each fine layer of dough and wad it, not tightly, but loosely. Takes a bit of doing, but you end up building up a nest of sorts. Spoon a few spoonfuls of the Dampening mixture over the bottom wads.

Dump the integrated mixture into the nest…and then top that with the remaining dough sheets…using the same wadding method.

Pour the remaining Dampening mixture over the top, being sure to get some mixture over all the dough…and jab a sharp knife or fork so as to allow the mixture to get through.

Chuck into the oven for 30 minutes…until top is brown.

I like to serve it topped with some white sauce. (You can get that recipe from the Internet)

100_2421.jpg

Click the image!

I shredded it up, and have tons of leftovers in the freezer. It should make for good soup later on.

Besides my chili pepper extract I'm turning some misc. spices, and additives into extracts. I have a cocoa nib one started, and I have a few more planned. Ceylon cinnamon, lavender, blue butterfly pea flower, and maybe one more to be determined.

I figured out my final choice while browsing online. I'm going to make a chai tea extract. So I'll have some new flavors to use for that one cookie recipe.

We have a massive winter storm heading our way, with a predicted 8-14" of wonderful white stuff. We always celebrate the big ones with this delicious winter soup.

Potato Leek Soup

4 medium red potatoes, cut in bite sized chunks
2 carrots, chopped
2 Leeks, thinly sliced, white parts only
¼ lb bacon, cut into small pieces
1 Qt chicken broth
¼ tsp Pepper
½ tsp thyme
¼ tsp salt
1 Tbs chopped chives
Saute bacon pieces on medium. Add leeks when bacon is almost done. Stir and cook 5 minutes or until leeks separate and become translucent. Add broth, seasonings, potatoes, and carrots. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve with garnish of chives.

Got NFL playoff games coming this afternoon. Gonna make pizza. Here is what my pizza's look like, although today I may add a few slices of Italian green peppers:

100_2418.jpg

Click for larger image.

Back