Jade's Recipe Exchange.

We have a massive winter storm heading our way, with a predicted 8-14" of wonderful white stuff. We always celebrate the big ones with this delicious winter soup.

Potato Leek Soup

4 medium red potatoes, cut in bite sized chunks
2 carrots, chopped
2 Leeks, thinly sliced, white parts only
¼ lb bacon, cut into small pieces
1 Qt chicken broth
¼ tsp Pepper
½ tsp thyme
¼ tsp salt
1 Tbs chopped chives
Saute bacon pieces on medium. Add leeks when bacon is almost done. Stir and cook 5 minutes or until leeks separate and become translucent. Add broth, seasonings, potatoes, and carrots. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve with garnish of chives.

Everything's melting here, and we are expecting rain. Hard to believe you only live about 140 + miles north of me

I tried something new. Sam's Club had pork belly slices. I salted with pink Himalayan salt, seared them, and put them to roast in an oven, on a roasting pan, with a glaze, at 400.

Glaze: Savory spring honey, a little ground turmeric, and a little smoke paprika all mixed together. Using Hawaiian rolls, and making sliders. Might put a little cole slaw on mine, but Mom can't chew veggies now. I'll mention how it turns out later, and give a cooking time.

The pork belly sliders were drool worthy. Time is iffy though, maybe up to ten minutes, and I'd flip them once to prevent burning.

Can you explain "pork belly" then? 'Cause where we comes from, boy, that's bacon. lol

Pork belly is what bacon is made from, but it needs to be cured. Here's a pic of some sliders.
web-Ada-Pork-Belly-Sliders-11-21-13.jpg

I tried something new. Sam's Club had pork belly slices. I salted with pink Himalayan salt, seared them, and put them to roast in an oven, on a roasting pan, with a glaze, at 400.

Glaze: Savory spring honey, a little ground turmeric, and a little smoke paprika all mixed together. Using Hawaiian rolls, and making sliders. Might put a little cole slaw on mine, but Mom can't chew veggies now. I'll mention how it turns out later, and give a cooking time.

I'm going to try something new tomorrow, Jade.

I'm making BRISKET for the very first time. Using a recipe given me by a Jewish golfing friend of mine...and cooking for 6 people. I'm hoping it is a success! I feel confident.

I'm going to try something new tomorrow, Jade.

I'm making BRISKET for the very first time. Using a recipe given me by a Jewish golfing friend of mine...and cooking for 6 people. I'm hoping it is a success! I feel confident.

Just remember that thing needs some low, and slow cooking.

I'm sure it's something terrifying. lol

Looks like it would burn the mouth of a fire breathing dragon!

My brisket turned out okay. The guests said they loved it...and everyone ate plenty, but I was not entirely satisfied. There was a taste from when I used to get brisket in New York for lunch that was missing. I'm gonna think about it...and maybe try again in a month or so.

Looks like it would burn the mouth of a fire breathing dragon!

My brisket turned out okay. The guests said they loved it...and everyone ate plenty, but I was not entirely satisfied. There was a taste from when I used to get brisket in New York for lunch that was missing. I'm gonna think about it...and maybe try again in a month or so.

How did you fix it?

Do you mean a slow cooker, or a pressure cooker?

It's a pressure cooker that's modernized. We have one; I've used it a few times. The only things I've made in it are corned beef and a pork roast. It's super fast. It makes some scary sounds though and terrifies the birds. lol

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=H3AEE1DJZF2SASYNF99F

Apparently you can make a large variety of things in them. Was just wondering if anyone uses one and what all they make.

Back