• 8 lemons

• 1 pound superfine sugar
  • 750-milliliter bottle bourbon or rye
  • 750-milliliter bottle Cognac
  • 750-milliliter bottle dark Jamaican rum

• 3 bottles Champagne or other sparkling wine
  • Nutmeg

PREPARATION

• Squeeze and strain the lemons to make 16 ounces of juice. Peel the lemons and muddle the peels with the sugar. Let the peels and sugar sit for an hour, then muddle again.
  • Add the lemon juice and stir until sugar has dissolved. Strain out the peels.
  • Fill a 2- to 3-gallon bucket or bowl with crushed ice or ice cubes. Add the lemon-sugar mixture and the bourbon, Cognac and rum. Stir and add the Champagne. Taste and adjust for sweetness. Grate nutmeg over the top and serve.

Tender and falling off the bone. 275 doesn’t give them enuf smoke.

I have the hardware to prove otherwise.

how much smoke do you think you get for those two hours while wrapped? all the smoke flavor any cut needs is in the first 2 hrs.

"falling off the bone" is over cooked and mushy. I like a little bite and tug.

ribs5.jpg
ribs6.jpg

They need to be able to bend but not break when picked halfway up with tongs. if they don't or it breaks they are over or under.

how much smoke do you think you get for those two hours while wrapped? all the smoke flavor any cut needs is in the first 2 hrs.

View attachment 5960
View attachment 5961

They need to be able to bend but not break when picked halfway up with tongs. if they don't or it breaks they are over or under.

Plenty of smoke for 3 hours at 180.

Plenty of smoke for 3 hours at 180.

Once you wrap with all that junk you are going from BBQ to braising. it's not called a "Crutch" for nothing.

Have you ever tried ribs at 275?

if not, you should.

It will change your world.

The smoke ring on both of my examples shows I have plenty of smoke on my ribs. which again, I have the hardware to back up.

fall off the bone is mush. ribs should be tender enough that you get a clean bite like this guys.

Spare-Ribs-_2.jpg

Once you wrap with all that junk you are going from BBQ to braising. it's not called a "Crutch" for nothing.

if not, you should.

The smoke ring on both of my examples shows I have plenty of smoke on my ribs. which again, I have the hardware to back up.

fall off the bone is mush. ribs should be tender enough that you get a clean bite like this guys.

Spare-Ribs-_2.jpg

Those poor dogs.

if not, you should.

Spare-Ribs-_2.jpg

Top sneaking in.

Anyone have any recipes of things, that you can make in abundance, that will freeze, and reheat well?

Last edited:
Here’s my favorite Brussel Sprouts recipe. Brussel Sprouts can be tricky and nothing is nastier than mushy Brussel Sprouts. This may not be the best recipe but it’s easy and is delicious.

Split Brussel Sprouts in half and place cut side down on a cookie sheet covered with olive oil. Roast at 400deg f for 20 minutes or until cut side starts to carmalize. Pull cookie sheet and sprinkle Parm over them. Not the Kraft crap (though that will work in a pinch) but real Parm. Then pop back in the oven for 5 minutes than serve. You should not need to season them as there is plenty of salt in the Parm.

View attachment 5960
View attachment 5961

Agreed. I have a cheap assed smoker that can’t keep a consistent temperature profile so I just smoke them two to four hours, depending on the size of the cut, then pop them in my oven and cook them to perfection low and slow.

I never wrap my BBQ in foil cause it fucks up the bark.

Last edited:
Back