Jade's Recipe Exchange.

Good lordy, but those look amazing! My mom used to make all kinds of pastries, including cream puffs and cream horns and Bismarcks (jelly donuts). I've never tried myself. But this recipe........ !

The dough you use to make them is known as pâte à choux. I've seen it made before. Since you don't bake as much, just think of the dough for big pillowy chicken, and dumplings. It's similar, but with added sugar.

The dough you use to make them is known as pâte à choux. I've seen it made before. Since you don't bake as much, just think of the dough for big pillowy chicken, and dumplings. It's similar, but with added sugar.

I don't know how she made them, but their shells were light and flaky and the insides were even better. I love adding orange flavoring to my vanilla (white) cake icing.... I bet it's great in the cream puff filling. She also made the best lemon meringue pie I've ever had.

I don't know how she made them, but their shells were light and flaky and the insides were even better. I love adding orange flavoring to my vanilla (white) cake icing.... I bet it's great in the cream puff filling. She also made the best lemon meringue pie I've ever had.

If I'm feeling better this summer, I might just try something like this. I can take a picture of it, if it doesn't suck.

Since you seem to say you're a novice baker, I have a good sounding recipe for the novice, to make grown up cupcakes. https://www.onehappyhousewife.com/e...st&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=SocialSnap

A lady at work gave me this cookbook as a present. Hopefully, I will be able to up my game in the kitchen!

Kachka: A Return to Russian Cooking

Celebrated Portland chef Bonnie Frumkin Morales brings her acclaimed Portland restaurant Kachka into your home kitchen with a debut cookbook enlivening Russian cuisine with an emphasis on vibrant, locally sourced ingredients.

An interesting back story to "Kachka":

Kachka: The Word That Saved A Family During WWII And Inspired A Chef

Morales' cookbook is subtitled 'a return to Russian cooking'. It challenges assumptions that Russian food is bland and lacks variety. "That it's all for cold weather, very meat-heavy, that everything is pickled," she says.

You'll find recipes in Morales' cookbook for buckwheat blinis with lingonberry mustard, beet-and-caviar stuffed eggs, and, if truth be told, a lot of pickles.

The cookbook also comes with a story. Kachka refers to a dramatic moment that took place during World War II. Morales' grandmother fled a ghetto in Minsk after barely escaping a mass killing. She was passing as a Ukrainian peasant when she was stopped by a Russian official working with the Germans.

"He was like, 'You're a Jew,' " Morales recounts. The official challenged her grandmother to say the word "duck" in Ukrainian to prove her identity. Morales' grandmother didn't speak Ukrainian, and she had to stake her life on linguistic overlap.

"She just hoped that maybe it was the same word in Yiddish and Belarusian," Morales explains. "So she said, 'kachka.' And it turned out it was the same word in Belarusian, Ukrainian and Yiddish. And he let her go."

The word that saved her grandmother's life now serves as an introduction into a cuisine that — let's be honest — can be a bit daunting if you haven't grown up on it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...aved-a-family-during-wwii-and-inspired-a-chef

I'm going to have to find something extra special for my birthday. I'm fearing I may be needing some major dietary changes, after my appointment on the 28th.

Back