Jade's Recipe Exchange.

Oh but there was a Romaine recall not too long ago and I had to forgo that for months! I was forced to eat nasty Iceberg if I wanted salad. :D

Oh gross. The why-bother lettuce. lol I have a little planter that I grow an arugula mix in year-round. Mixed with romaine it's really good, but by itself it's pretty small for a decent salad. But you can clip the foliage down to the soil surface, and it will grow back quickly. Have you tried growing your own indoors? No way could you grow lettuce outdoors in Florida in the summer! lol

Oh gross. The why-bother lettuce. lol I have a little planter that I grow an arugula mix in year-round. Mixed with romaine it's really good, but by itself it's pretty small for a decent salad. But you can clip the foliage down to the soil surface, and it will grow back quickly. Have you tried growing your own indoors? No way could you grow lettuce outdoors in Florida in the summer! lol
No there are other types, green leaf and red leaf but I just skipped salads for a while during that time. I can deal with Iceberg if there is enough other stuff to overshadow the nasty bland Iceberg taste. Kale tastes like dirt to me too.

No there are other types, green leaf and red leaf but I just skipped salads for a while during that time. I can deal with Iceberg if there is enough other stuff to overshadow the nasty bland Iceberg taste. Kale tastes like dirt to me too.

Heheheheh... yeah. I don't care for kale either. Love spinach if it's raw. Or if it has to be cooked -- finely chopped and in something. Just a pile of cooked spinach on a plate is gross. I loathe broccoli too... the texture on the tongue is like eating a dinosaur or something, plus it smells horrid. I can tolerate it chopped into molecular form and mixed with other stuff, if it's raw.

Have you ever tried fermenting your own sauerkraut and other stuff?

Heheheheh... yeah. I don't care for kale either. Love spinach if it's raw. Or if it has to be cooked -- finely chopped and in something. Just a pile of cooked spinach on a plate is gross. I loathe broccoli too... the texture on the tongue is like eating a dinosaur or something, plus it smells horrid. I can tolerate it chopped into molecular form and mixed with other stuff, if it's raw.

Have you ever tried fermenting your own sauerkraut and other stuff?
No, I've never tried anything like that.

I like broccoli, especially if it's dipped in Ranch dressing or I can eat it steamed.

How about greens? Things like collards, mustards, turnips? Rutabagas? lol

I like broccoli, especially if it's dipped in Ranch dressing or I can eat it steamed.

Collards are my favorite, but I've never made them myself though. In town they have a Creole restaurant.

It's supposed to be super healthful and full of probiotics. I've only tried fermenting cabbages -- to make sauerkraut -- and ramps (wild leeks) so far. The kraut turns out great. The ramps not so much. I've had fermented wild leeks that were delicious, but mine were not. Oh, and I've made sourdough starter, which is also a fermentation thing. I remember that you don't eat much bread so maybe that's not something you're interested in?

Here, you can have my life share. lol

Collards -- meh. Mustard greens are good, esp. spring-harvested wild ones. I like turnips (the root part) cooked in stews and soups. Rutabagas... meh. There is a traditional Yooper food up here called "pasties." The first time we visited and saw a pasty shop, we thought that maybe the letter "r" had gotten knocked off in a storm. Then we saw another. Then another. Then we figured "Well, it's a college town, guess the lady students need to make a living somehow, none of our business." It wasn't till the next year when we bought the house that we were informed that it's pronounced "PAST-tees." Not "Paste-eez." :laugh: At any rate, they are a dough thing filled with a combination of ground meat, onions, rutabaga crud, and some other gross stuff. Blech. Do you like those veggies?

I like other cruciform veggies like cauliflower, cabbage, and that stuff -- both raw and cooked. But something about broccoli....

Back