Jade's Recipe Exchange.

Collards are my favorite, but I've never made them myself though. In town they have a Creole restaurant.
I like collards too but also mustards, they seem to be more tender. I've made them myself. You can have a ton of raw collards and once you cook them down it equals a couple of cups. lol Cleaning and cutting them is a lot of work.

No, I haven't. I feel like whole lettuce is sort of protected since I assume the outer leaves get the brunt of everything. I still wash it. But I only get whole everything, I would never get pre-cut anything, veggies, any of it.

The whole stuff still can have some of the same issues, You can just wash whatever in water, and vinegar.

See there are no Amish settlements down here, that I'm aware of, anyway.

They tend to live in places where they can farm, be apart from the "English," and where land is reasonably-priced. We had a number of them in the rural county where I lived for 11 years in Missouri. (Which is where my friend lived too.) I was surprised last week to pass an Amish/Mennonite couple in the Meijer store here! But guess it makes sense.... rural undeveloped land here is inexpensive, ppl leave you alone and mind their own business, and if you have Amish skillz of farming, homesteading, animal husbandry, etc. you're home here.

But my most surprising Amish/Mennonite (They are different groups but dress so similarly that I can't distinguish them) encounter was in, of all places, Fairbanks Alaska in 2006. They were on a tour to the "north." We were all attending the same salmon bake. I had to sit close to them so that I could eavesdrop. They were from Pennsylvania, had chartered a couple of buses, driven through Canada to Alaska, and were heading home in a week. It was surprising because I'd always thought of them as very insular ppl who never ventured more than 12 feet from where they were born, and never used any forms of modern transportation.

They tend to live in places where they can farm, be apart from the "English," and where land is reasonably-priced. We had a number of them in the rural county where I lived for 11 years in Missouri. (Which is where my friend lived too.) I was surprised last week to pass an Amish/Mennonite couple in the Meijer store here! But guess it makes sense.... rural undeveloped land here is inexpensive, ppl leave you alone and mind their own business, and if you have Amish skillz of farming, homesteading, animal husbandry, etc. you're home here.

But my most surprising Amish/Mennonite (They are different groups but dress so similarly that I can't distinguish them) encounter was in, of all places, Fairbanks Alaska in 2006. They were on a tour to the "north." We were all attending the same salmon bake. I had to sit close to them so that I could eavesdrop. They were from Pennsylvania, had chartered a couple of buses, driven through Canada to Alaska, and were heading home in a week. It was surprising because I'd always thought of them as very insular ppl who never ventured more than 12 feet from where they were born, and never used any forms of modern transportation.

We would see them at the Toledo Zoo!
And at Wal-Mart of all the unholy places!

I like collards too but also mustards, they seem to be more tender. I've made them myself. You can have a ton of raw collards and once you cook them down it equals a couple of cups. lol Cleaning and cutting them is a lot of work.

lol, Yep.. I have bought the can ones but they are not very good... I get the already cut & cleaned.. & it is worth it....

I prob waste 100 gallons of water trying to get the mud & sand out & inevitably there is some sand in there after they are cooked..

The Ultimate Bacon and Egg Pie (Breakfast Pie)

Bacon and egg pies (breakfast pies) are a New Zealand classic! Juicy scrambled eggs, hearty whole eggs, thick smoky chunks of juicy bacon, lightly spiced flavorful soft leeks, and gooey cheese all encased in beautiful, buttery, flaky layers of puff pastry – this really is the ULTIMATE Bacon and Egg pie!

https://www.theflavorbender.com/ultimate-bacon-and-egg-pie-breakfast-pie/

hungry-wolf-vector-id514834424

Bacon and egg pies (breakfast pies) are a New Zealand classic! Juicy scrambled eggs, hearty whole eggs, thick smoky chunks of juicy bacon, lightly spiced flavorful soft leeks, and gooey cheese all encased in beautiful, buttery, flaky layers of puff pastry – this really is the ULTIMATE Bacon and Egg pie!

https://www.theflavorbender.com/ultimate-bacon-and-egg-pie-breakfast-pie/

I don't even much like eating breakfast -- but I'd sure eat that for lunch or supper! (I'd scramble all the eggs though because whole eggs = yucky.)

Smart. I think if you enjoy raw foods it's better to buy whole ones (like whole peppers, a bunch of romaine, etc.) and wash it well then cut it up yourself.

I lost a good friend last year. She was only 50 years old. She had gotten some Amish sausage from a local Amish place and got food poisoning from it. She was deathly sick for two weeks, then she had a stroke. She developed septicemia and passed away. All from "home-cured" food.

OMG how awful! I've eaten stuff from Amish markets, never even dreamed you could get sick from some of the foods. I'm sorry for your loss.

Heheheheh... yeah. I don't care for kale either. Love spinach if it's raw. Or if it has to be cooked -- finely chopped and in something. Just a pile of cooked spinach on a plate is gross. I loathe broccoli too... the texture on the tongue is like eating a dinosaur or something, plus it smells horrid. I can tolerate it chopped into molecular form and mixed with other stuff, if it's raw.

Have you ever tried fermenting your own sauerkraut and other stuff?

Oh no, broccoli is a gift from the gods! The late GHW Bush hated it, too.

Back