Jade's Recipe Exchange.

I've always wondered what British cuisine is like. All I've ever heard of is fish and chips (acceptable), kidney pie (no f'ing way), bangers and mash (wtf is that?), spotted dick (keep that away from me!), and eels (blech). Anyone got any rebuttals?

LMAO! That's awesome! Don't forget haggis!

Fish and chips are incredible! Bangers and mash are just sausages and mashed potatoes. Those are good! Spotted dick is actually a steamed pudding. I would definitely stay away from it! LOL! You could make a pretend kidney pie with just beef in it. Then it would just be a beef pot pie. LOL!

I've always wondered what British cuisine is like. All I've ever heard of is fish and chips (acceptable), kidney pie (no f'ing way), bangers and mash (wtf is that?), spotted dick (keep that away from me!), and eels (blech). Anyone got any rebuttals?

Deserts, and tea snacks are one of the things they are really good at. As for meals they do have beef wellington, and Welsh rarebit. England actually adopted Indian cuisine, and it's national dish is a curry.

We are pretty lucky here in Texas for having the very best Bar-B-Q restaurants in the world. Just stay away from the conglomerates and daisy-chains and you'll be fine!

And we can brag and say the same thing about our Tex-Mex restaurants- which cannot be matched anywhere in the world because we invented the stuff.. Lot's of killer burger dive's here too. I have to admit, there are also some Delicious Home Cooking restaurants here as well.

But there is no way we can measure up to other places around the nation, in terms of Seafood, Pizza, Italian Food, Deli's, and Oriental Foods.

I should know, I've been everywhere MAN! LOL!

My daughter lived there & said the only thing she liked was curry fries.. Sounds terrible to me.. SHe would make her own stuff most of the time..

LMAO! That's awesome! Don't forget haggis!

Fish and chips are incredible! Bangers and mash are just sausages and mashed potatoes. Those are good! Spotted dick is actually a steamed pudding. I would definitely stay away from it! LOL! You could make a pretend kidney pie with just beef in it. Then it would just be a beef pot pie. LOL!

Pot pies are great. They have those pasties (pronounced Pass-tees) that Cypress mentioned here, some sort of dough with a stuffing made of meat, onions, rutabagas, other stuff). It's like the Official Dish of the U.P.(tm). And not very good. Maybe if you put gravy on them?

Pot pies are great. They have those pasties (pronounced Pass-tees) that Cypress mentioned here, some sort of dough with a stuffing made of meat, onions, rutabagas, other stuff). It's like the Official Dish of the U.P.(tm). And not very good. Maybe if you put gravy on them?

Do you use real pot.:whome: asking for a friend... :whome: lol

Do you use lard when you bake?? I have been hearing lard is not as bad as they have been saying.......... The fresher stuff, not the hydrogenated stuff sitting on the store shelf for 12 years..

LOL! Maybe gravy would make them better!

Do you use real pot.:whome: asking for a friend... :whome: lol

:laugh:

Do you use lard when you bake?? I have been hearing lard is not as bad as they have been saying.......... The fresher stuff, not the hydrogenated stuff sitting on the store shelf for 12 years..

On the rare occasions that I make pie crust, I do use lard. I'm more into making breads though.... whole grain, rye, etc.

LOL! Maybe gravy would make them better!

You can cover many sins with a good gravy. lol

The first time we came up here we wondered why there were so many "pasty" shops. Then we figured, well, it's a college town, maybe the gals have to earn extra money for books and stuff. lol

You can cover many sins with a good gravy. lol

The first time we came up here we wondered why there were so many "pasty" shops. Then we figured, well, it's a college town, maybe the gals have to earn extra money for books and stuff. lol

LOL! Yes, that has been my secret for years. Learn to make sauce first, that way, you can cover the multitude of sins as you learn the rest!

Oh that's right, you don't like pasties. Mom kept pronouncing the name wrong, and got a big laugh out of my Aunt. What she pronounced, are actually those little tassels the female dancers twirl around on their chest. I did not know that, or really want to know that truthfully.

Oh that's right, you don't like pasties. Mom kept pronouncing the name wrong, and got a big laugh out of my Aunt. What she pronounced, are actually those little tassels the female dancers twirl around on their chest. I did not know that, or really want to know that truthfully.

LMAO. We thought they were pronounced like the tit-tassels too. They are not. lol

:laugh:

On the rare occasions that I make pie crust, I do use lard. I'm more into making breads though.... whole grain, rye, etc.

I don't bake-to many rules to follow...lol

I was surprised though about lard & some of the uses~they say for pie crusts & the like, there is no better... One of those facts I just stumbled into & was wondering if others are using it again..

When you go to a Mexican restaurant they are using it, one of the reasons why the food tastes good I think...

I don't bake-to many rules to follow...lol

I was surprised though about lard & some of the uses~they say for pie crusts & the like, there is no better... One of those facts I just stumbled into & was wondering if others are using it again..

When you go to a Mexican restaurant they are using it, one of the reasons why the food tastes good I think...

Really? I wonder if that's what gives me GI distress after eating Mexican food. There are very few things I can eat w/o badness happening.

Really? I wonder if that's what gives me GI distress after eating Mexican food. There are very few things I can eat w/o badness happening.

I dunno, but here they use Manteca~lard on anything that requires it........ Some recipes I have never heard of anyone ever not using it, like tomales..

was surprised to read positives about using/eating it but there were downsides..

Pasties remind me of pirozhki, which is kind of why I like them. But I admit to being the first person who has an affinity for hearty but bland food. I could eat potato pancakes and kasha till the cows come home!

Back