Jade's Recipe Exchange.

I asked what ours was, Mr. Owl says we pay $25/month just to belong to the co-op and have service. Then it is $0.15/kWhr. We cut down our usage just by removing all the incandescents that came with the house, and switching them to either LEDs or those curly thingies. We saw another decent drop when the old fridge passed away and was replaced in June with a much more energy-efficient one. Our avg. bill is <$100/month which is lower than it was in STL even though rates were lower there overall.

Got any good tips on how to cut down even further?

Our local utility use to have a Nuke plant but closed it down but they also have several hyrdro projects up in the Sierra..

I think I prob average about $45 a month-winter higher, most of spring & fall less..

I can easily handle 80, 1, 2 which is about tops in my house even today @ 103... (DRY)

My daughter is here, & she grew up like that but now lives in San Fransisco where the average temp-Year round is a low of 53 & a high of 63-that cold ocean & bay keeps it chillin in summer, & temperate in winter.. Anyway I will turn it on prob this evening as she isn't use to it any more..lol

Holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's horrible!!!!!!! All of our utilities combined -- including satellite and cell service -- don't total that much. Has it always been that way? Do you think updating appliances might help?
No it's not always that way. When it's not hot, it can be as low as like $165. It's running the air all the time. I can't stand to be hot and keep it around 73. And it's been hot a lot this year so far.

No it's not always that way. When it's not hot, it can be as low as like $165. It's running the air all the time. I can't stand to be hot and keep it around 73. And it's been hot a lot this year so far.

I hear you about being hot, dear. I'd still be suffering at 73F. In STL we kept it at 70F during the day and 66F at night. Damn, I'm sorry it costs you so much just to be able to cope with the heat. That is awful.

WOW... Is that combined or just elec??

There you prob have to keep it on as for most ppl it is a no brainer~turn on the A/C or risk death tonight:thinking:
It's water and electric. LOL. Truly. Can't stand to be hot. Some people keep their thermostat on 78 or 80 and sit around hot, not me.

It's water and electric. LOL. Truly. Can't stand to be hot. Some people keep their thermostat on 78 or 80 and sit around hot, not me.

Yeah, no shit. In STL our water and electric were combined too. If it was droughty in the summer your bill was of course a lot higher. Plus you had a sewer bill based on how much water you used. That was usually $30-40/month. If I recall correctly, our summer elec. bills there were $250+/month. Your $390/month is awful. :~(

I hear you about being hot, dear. I'd still be suffering at 73F. In STL we kept it at 70F during the day and 66F at night. Damn, I'm sorry it costs you so much just to be able to cope with the heat. That is awful.
The A/C at 73 can feel cold. I keep it pretty cold. What happens is on the days it gets really hot, it runs almost non stop.

Our local utility use to have a Nuke plant but closed it down but they also have several hyrdro projects up in the Sierra..

I think I prob average about $45 a month-winter higher, most of spring & fall less..

I can easily handle 80, 1, 2 which is about tops in my house even today @ 103... (DRY)

My daughter is here, & she grew up like that but now lives in San Fransisco where the average temp-Year round is a low of 53 & a high of 63-that cold ocean & bay keeps it chillin in summer, & temperate in winter.. Anyway I will turn it on prob this evening as she isn't use to it any more..lol

SF sounds delightful! Exc. of course for how expensive it is. Hey, it's the weekend and she's your baby -- pamper her with a/c!

Marquette had two coal-burning plants but both of them are closed now. Natural gas plants have been built, plus there's the hydro plant as well. We haven't seen a single freighter out on Superior this year.... no more coal coming here. I'm okay with that.

That sounds a lil better...

78 there is prob borderline hot & muggy, but 73 is pretty low... Oh well, it's your choice.. How many months a year, on average do you need to run it?? (day & night)

SF sounds delightful! Exc. of course for how expensive it is. Hey, it's the weekend and she's your baby -- pamper her with a/c!

Marquette had two coal-burning plants but both of them are closed now. Natural gas plants have been built, plus there's the hydro plant as well. We haven't seen a single freighter out on Superior this year.... no more coal coming here. I'm okay with that.
I will, as tonight it prob isn't going to cool off enough, as her room in on the other side & no breeze..

So can you see small craft sailing or whatever??

I will, as tonight it prob isn't going to cool off enough, as her room in on the other side & no breeze..
So can you see small craft sailing or whatever??

Yes. We can see sailboats, motor craft, an occasional CG buoy tender, and the big freighters too. Some freighters still visit the Upper Harbor in MQT. They come to pick up the taconite from the mines. But they come from the east and return that way, so they don't pass by our vantage point. Real-time map of shipping and other boat traffic, courtesy of boatnerd.com. We are roughly where the black dot is:

eH7QRrt.jpg

Yes. We can see sailboats, motor craft, an occasional CG buoy tender, and the big freighters too. Some freighters still visit the Upper Harbor in MQT. They come to pick up the taconite from the mines. But they come from the east and return that way, so they don't pass by our vantage point. Real-time map of shipping and other boat traffic, courtesy of boatnerd.com. We are roughly where the black dot is:

eH7QRrt.jpg

boatnerds.com. Checked it out. Bookmarked it. Thanks.

That sounds a lil better...

78 there is prob borderline hot & muggy, but 73 is pretty low... Oh well, it's your choice.. How many months a year, on average do you need to run it?? (day & night)
A lot of months except when it's mild, cool nights and mild days. I love the Spring. But like now, it's been in the low 80s and partly cloudy all week so the air runs and shuts off when it reaches the set temperature. When it's real hot, it's hard to get it that low so it runs continually.

Back