JustPlainPolitics Stock Market Game

This is probably a stupid question, but when I put in an order with Vanguard to invest in VFINX do I buy it at the price it was when I ordered it or the price it is when Vanguard processes it?
All mutual fund are purchased at the end of the day at the NAV (Net Asset Value).

I joined today.

Last edited:
Nuts and Bolts!
Nuts and Bolts!
I've been SCREWED.

Sunpower Corp changed its stock abbreviation from SPWR to SPWRA. But it is still listed as SPWR in my portfolio, and I cannot touch it, nor is my SPWR stock registering the gains made today by SunPower.

Now I KNOW a real portfolio would not lose the stock entirely just because of a change in the stock registry abbreviation.

Plbbbbbbbb.

I'm not good at this stuff as it is. I still don't understand short selling. Or why it is even legal. It's like my borrowing my neighbors house and selling it, then buying it back at a lower price and giving it back to my neighbor. How the heck does that work? It's BS as far as I can see. Further proof that our economy is little more than a stack of wet paper.

I'm not good at this stuff as it is. I still don't understand short selling. Or why it is even legal. It's like my borrowing my neighbors house and selling it, then buying it back at a lower price and giving it back to my neighbor. How the heck does that work? It's BS as far as I can see. Further proof that our economy is little more than a stack of wet paper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_selling

Typically, the short-seller will "borrow" or "rent" the securities to be sold, and later repurchase identical securities for return to the lender.

Nuts and Bolts!
Nuts and Bolts!
I've been SCREWED.

Sunpower Corp changed its stock abbreviation from SPWR to SPWRA. But it is still listed as SPWR in my portfolio, and I cannot touch it, nor is my SPWR stock registering the gains made today by SunPower.

Now I KNOW a real portfolio would not lose the stock entirely just because of a change in the stock registry abbreviation.

Plbbbbbbbb.

Yeah, I had SPWRV and had the same issue. I had to reset to get past it.

Yeah, I had SPWRV and had the same issue. I had to reset to get past it.
I sent them a request via feedback. The problem is resolved. Shows up as SPWRA on my portfolio now, with the day's gains.

Still in the hole big time, but at least I got that investment back in control.

And topspin, I haven't reset and am not going to reset. I may lose, but that's the breaks. I never claimed to know shit about investing in the market anyway, except basic platitudes given me by a friend who works in the industry:
1 - Buy low, sell high (duh)
2 - Diversify investments
3 - Don't try to make a killing, as it will usually be you who is killed.
4 - Don't panic when things go bad.

And that is all I really know. Pretty much shows in the score card, too. Some people tried to make a killing, and lost (then cheated by resetting). Other than that, every one is ahead of me which is no big surprise to me.

I sent them a request via feedback. The problem is resolved. Shows up as SPWRA on my portfolio now, with the day's gains.

Still in the hole big time, but at least I got that investment back in control.

And topspin, I haven't reset and am not going to reset. I may lose, but that's the breaks. I never claimed to know shit about investing in the market anyway, except basic platitudes given me by a friend who works in the industry:
1 - Buy low, sell high (duh)
2 - Diversify investments
3 - Don't try to make a killing, as it will usually be you who is killed.
4 - Don't panic when things go bad.

And that is all I really know. Pretty much shows in the score card, too. Some people tried to make a killing, and lost (then cheated by resetting). Other than that, every one is ahead of me which is no big surprise to me.

WE CHEATEDED?! IM SO SORRY AND SHORTING IS CLEARLY AN ILLEGAL PRACTICE THE REVEALS TAHT OUR ECONOMY DOESNT EXIST TOO!

We may as well give up. Trog is up 20% in a few days in the middle of a recession. Me and grind are tied at number, having not put anything into stocks. Face it, no one is going to get ahead of trog.

We may as well give up. Trog is up 20% in a few days in the middle of a recession. Me and grind are tied at number, having not put anything into stocks. Face it, no one is going to get ahead of trog.

Trog has a day trading strategy that is bound to break. If you look at the transactions being made, they are all within a few minutes. A quick buy and sell, nipping away and taking small profits a day. Not a bad strategy in this market, but it isn't going to work 100% of the time, and we will see if trog is smart enough to know what to do when it doesn't :)

Wow, I had the interesting phenomenon of watching the ticker go to and through my stops and limits, and NOT EXECUTE the order at least three times today.

Let the total recklessness continue!

I would NEVER do this shit in real life! :cof1:

I contacted them about SF and his DXO. Yeah, that was a crappy pick, but it wasn't negative returns...

Back