Kerry reverts to his roots

I don't care if the New England liberal blueblood got the congressional medal of honor.

Did you approve of what he did at the winter soldier's meeting in congress after he got back?

Yes. Shining light on atrocities is always a good thing. But I suppose you only approve of it when it's the other side's atrocities.

I was a destroyer sailor for a good part of my career. The tin cans I served on were all members of destroyer squadrons. Swifties would consider any sailor on any destroyer in my squadron to be a "shipmate" even though they weren't on my ship or in my division or department of wardroom or ever served on a bridge watch with me. I casually knew some of the officers on the other ships in my squadron, but none well enough where I would vouch for - or denigrate- their character. I knew the officers in MY wardroom well, and the sailors in MY department and in MY division well, and the sailors I stood watch with well. I would vouch for THEIR character and they would, I hope, vouch for mine. THEY were my shipmates. The guys across the pier on the other tin cans were not. In Kerry's case, his TRUE shipmates were nearly unanimous in their support and praise for him, his character, his leadership, his seamanship, and his bravery.

You're the one who sounds like a fake? Ever hear of the phrase, "kill anything that moves".

I agree... philly's the kind of guy who would have claimed to have been Kerry's shipmate even if he had never been aboard the same vessel with him.

I know the party line about the invasion of Iraq... the fact of the matter is that Americans were scared and angry and wanting some payback for 9/11. Bush constantly trumpeted the supposed connection between AQ and Iraq...the Prague meeting... all which was a lie... and then the lie about the absolute certainty of stockpiles of WMD's... not to mention the innuendos about "mushroom clouds over American cities"... it all played on the fear of AMericans... our President was telling us that he was absolutely certain that Saddam had stockpiles of WMD's (maybe even the kind that made "mushroom clouds"..YIKES!) and that Saddam's people had met with the 9/11 hijackers before their attacks. YIKES! Saddam's got WMD's for CERTAIN, and he's buddy buddy with OBL... his folks were palling around with the 9/11 hijackers before the attack... if we don't invade him this NANOSECOND and quickly find all those stockpiles of WMD's, then Saddam will certainly give some to OBL to use against us. YIKES! Mushroom clouds over American cities! YIKES.

Bush lied and he MISled Americans with fear. What a disgusting president.

If there was any real justice in this world, bush would have been impeached and tried for war crimes.

I was a destroyer sailor for a good part of my career. The tin cans I served on were all members of destroyer squadrons. Swifties would consider any sailor on any destroyer in my squadron to be a "shipmate" even though they weren't on my ship or in my division or department of wardroom or ever served on a bridge watch with me. I casually knew some of the officers on the other ships in my squadron, but none well enough where I would vouch for - or denigrate- their character. I knew the officers in MY wardroom well, and the sailors in MY department and in MY division well, and the sailors I stood watch with well. I would vouch for THEIR character and they would, I hope, vouch for mine. THEY were my shipmates. The guys across the pier on the other tin cans were not. In Kerry's case, his TRUE shipmates were nearly unanimous in their support and praise for him, his character, his leadership, his seamanship, and his bravery.

I can hardly believe the lies coming from some of these schmucks. You are 100% correct about his true shipmates.

"In 1969, I was Sen. Kerry's gun mate atop of the Swift boat in Vietnam. And I just wanted to let everyone know that, contrary to all the rumors that you might hear from the other side, Sen. Kerry's blood is red, not blue. I know, I've seen it.

"If it weren't for Sen. John Kerry, on the 28th of February 1969, the day he won the Silver Star . . . you and I would not be having this conversation. My name would be on a long, black wall in Washington, D.C. I saw this man save my life."3

— Fred Short

"I can still see him now, standing in the doorway of the pilothouse, firing his M-16, shouting orders through the smoke and chaos . . . Even wounded, or confronting sights no man should ever have to see, he never lost his cool.

I had to sit on my hands [after a firefight], I was shaking so hard . . . He went to every man on that boat and put his arm around them and asked them how they're doing. I've never had an officer do that before or since. That's the mettle of the man, John Kerry."3

— David Alston

"What I saw back then [in Vietnam] was a guy with genuine caring and leadership ability who was aggressive when he had to be. What I see now is a guy who's not afraid to tackle tough issues. And he knows what the consequences are of putting people's kids in harm's way."2

— James Wasser

Many of Kerry's Vietnam commanders and fellow officers also continue to speak positively of him:
Navy records, fitness reports by Kerry's commanders and scores of interviews with Swift boat officers and crewmen depict a model officer who fought aggressively in river ambushes and won the respect of many of his crewmates and commanders, even as his doubts about the war grew.

"I don't like what he said after the war," said Adrian Lonsdale, who commanded Kerry for three months in 1969. "But he was a good naval officer."2

"I don't know what conclusions you can draw about someone's ability to lead from their combat experience, but John's service was commendable," said James J. Galvin, a former Swift boat officer . . . "He played by the same rules we all did."1

How well all of these men knew John Kerry is questionable, and discrepancies between how some of them described Kerry thirty-five years ago and how they describe him today suggest that their opinions are largely based upon political differences rather than objective assessments of Kerry's military record. For example, Rear Admiral Roy Hoffman is quoted above, yet the Los Angeles Times reported:
. . . Hoffman and Kerry had few direct dealings in Vietnam. A Los Angeles Times examination of Navy archives found that Hoffman praised Kerry's performance in cabled messages after several river skirmishes.1

http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/swift.asp

Do presidents who were in office during other conflicts get a pass (as long as they have the correct initial after their names)?

Christie... thank you so much for that post. Those quotes from REAL shipmates of Kerry's who served right along side him in combat are powerful indeed. Of course... the righties on here will call them all liars and cowards like they do anyone who doesn't hate John Kerry with the white hot fervor that they do.

Btw

Kerry proposed the chem turn over before the Russians did but they are all creaming their pants for Pootin now for putting it on the table

your assertion was that the people voted against Kerry because of his opposition to the Vietnam war. Please provide some documentation that would support that assertion or be a man and admit you had no evidence to support it.

I can't even prove that you're human......

among those are two confirmed liars that I can name, right off the top of my head: George Elliot and Larry Thurlow.

odd though that no one ever "confirmed" they were lying about Kerry.....libs love to throw around that claim as if it meant something to the debate.....

??....and none of them were ever caught in a lie?......

Back