Lesbian criticizes Picasso.

People confuse liking something with a judgment of quality.
For example, I do not enjoy listening to classical music. But I judge someone like Bach is a skilled musician making quality work.
I do not have to like Bach to know he is objectively making good music.

People confuse liking something with a judgment of quality.
For example, I do not enjoy listening to classical music. But I judge someone like Bach is a skilled musician making quality work.
I do not have to like Bach to know he is objectively making good music.

If technical expertise was all that mattered to the conversation arguably cubism fails. It has only become accepted due to the revolutionary work of Picasso and a couple others at the time. Art ALWAYS advances due to revolutions.

Modern art, like that of Rothko which is often just big blocks of color, are hardly "feats of technical expertise". But they are art nonetheless. Objectively enjoyed by those who like it. But otherwise not much to write home about.

If technical expertise was all that mattered to the conversation arguably cubism fails. It has only become accepted due to the revolutionary work of Picasso and a couple others at the time. Art ALWAYS advances due to revolutions.

Modern art, like that of Rothko which is often just big blocks of color, are hardly "feats of technical expertise". But they are art nonetheless. Objectively enjoyed by those who like it. But otherwise not much to write home about.

Cubism has to do with the concept of a picture plane. Began with impressionists flattening out the picture plane.

Art is so subjective, isn't it?

I can appreciate Picasso a little bit, but hip hop music makes me want to vomit.

So much of the music that I loved as a kid was Afro-centric--trad jazz, bebop, doowop, jump blues, Stax/Atlantic-style soul--
and now the entire black race is out to kill me with annoying noise.

I think most American music goes back to Black Roots in one way or another.

We recently lost one of America's greatest Rock Stars ever, Tuna Turner. But, it was Her first husband, Ike, that is credited for being a part of the very first Rock & Roll song.

The 1951 classic Rocket “88” by Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats has often been cited as the first rock 'n' roll record. Waxed at Sam Phillips' Memphis Recording Service, it was also the first No. 1 rhythm & blues hit for Chicago-based Chess Records. It is also the first song that used some type of distortion in a song's recording. Ike, one of rock's great guitar players, played the rinky-dink piano on this one.

Read the whole story here, if this interests you!

https://www.culturesonar.com/rocket-88-one-of-the-pioneering-songs-of-rock/

Love the song, but I've always credited Little Walter with My Babe that came out in 1951 (the year I was Born) also!

Last edited:
Please cite something. Just so you know, I have read many biographies of Picasso. If his "lover" did not like him, why did she stay?

And none of those biographies mentioned his treatment of women? Some of the women did leave him, others probably stayed because he was taking care of them, some he dumped when he met a new woman. Many women say with men who abuse them.

I knew a guy who had a Picasso.

And none of those biographies mentioned his treatment of women? Some of the women did leave him, others probably stayed because he was taking care of them, some he dumped when he met a new woman. Many women say with men who abuse them.

I knew a guy who had a Picasso.

Let's see. Picasso was famous. Picasso had money. And he was obligated to take care of women who wanted to spend time with him? Why?
This is the paradox of feminist criticism.

I think most American music goes back to Black Roots in one way or another.

We recently lost one of America's greatest Rock Stars ever, Tuna Turner. But, it was Her first husband, Ike, that is credited for being a part of the very first Rock & Roll song.

The 1951 classic Rocket “88” by Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats has often been cited as the first rock 'n' roll record. Waxed at Sam Phillips' Memphis Recording Service, it was also the first No. 1 rhythm & blues hit for Chicago-based Chess Records. It is also the first song that used some type of distortion in a song's recording. Ike, one of rock's great guitar players, played the rinky-dink piano on this one.

Read the whole story here, if this interests you!

https://www.culturesonar.com/rocket-88-one-of-the-pioneering-songs-of-rock/

Love the song, but I've always credited Little Walter with My Babe that came out in 1951 (the year I was Born) also!

I know you meant Tina Turner...;) Janis Joplin loved Tina... I imagine neither one of those great women have any appreciation for filthy rap being a part of black music history...

Let's see. Picasso was famous. Picasso had money. And he was obligated to take care of women who wanted to spend time with him? Why?
This is the paradox of feminist criticism.

Or, it has nothing to do with feminism but only well established facts about his life. He probably did not feel "obligated" to take care of them (or at least until the next one came along).

https://www.dailyartmagazine.com/picasso-and-his-women/

Back